Sketchup - you've come a long way ...

Looking back on some of the old wRec SketchUp threads from about ten years back, there were quite a few detractors, and more than a few heated discussions, about SketchUp's potential as 3D modeling software for both woodworking and construction.

An almost totally unheard practice at the time, about eight years ago I built a $350 home using SketchUp Pro for ALL permitted construction documents, with exception of the Foundation Plan, which must be provided by a Engineer.

Even then I took the time to model the foundation using SketchUp, based on the PE's drawings, to give everyone involved a better idea of the structural nuances that are often difficult for subcontractors of today to grasp from a 3D format:

That simple SketchUp drawing, along with a few more views showing greater detail, was instrumental in the successful fabrication of that very unusual "structural with void space" foundation.

At that time there were no known examples of Architects using the program for construction documentation, both for permitting and fabricating. Today, Architects, like Nick Sonders, who has a number of youtube videos showing his use of SketchUp in his Architectural practice, have taken the use of SketchUp in construction to a new level:

He now has a book out, with a web page that nicely illustrates how far the acceptance of that once hotly debated program on the wRec has come:

Swingman

$350k home ... found the "k". ;)

Reply to
Swingman

Gezz. I was just about to order a dozen.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

Hell, can help you with ... bluebird mini-mansion or purple martin?

Reply to
Swingman

I believe you but it's hard to understand detractors. I mean. it is an INCREDIBLY useful program! I only build stuff for myself but SketchUp has really simplified doing that...after building something in SketchUp, the real building is pretty much an anti-climax.

Reply to
dadiOH

That is how I see things with Sketchup. I would really rather see the "got'cha's" while designing rather than after I have started to build with expensive materials.

I build much faster because I have detailed drawings of exactly how joints and parts are to be formed to fit together.

Reply to
Leon

Several years ago, Christchurch, New Zealand had several very bad earthquakes. One of the many buildings damaged was Trimble Navigation's main office there. They designed the new building (completed about a year ago) entirely in SketchUp.

Admittedly, there is some corporate showmanship there. Still it is a pretty strong vote of confidence.

Reply to
Drew Lawson

"Maytag" under the I-10 overpass?

Reply to