Sketchup - What's the best mouse for SU?

Page 2 of 3

CTS isn't a problem with the tendons directly (only the tendons of the thumb and first to fingers go through the Carpal Tunnel), rather the strange position of the wrist causing the tendons and nerves to pinch in the CT. Minimizing motion of the wrist also helps. The function of a CTS brace is to immobilize the wrist in the correct position to keep the Carpal Tunnel straight. That shouldn't be required since the wrist should be kept straight without it. Been there.
On Sat, 08 May 2010 10:09:57 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

If anyone is experiencing CTS now, pick up a copy of Adelle Davis' _Let's Eat Right to Keep Fit_. She mentions that a lack of lecithin, which almost entirely makes up the myelin sheath, can cause those problems.
-- Live forever or die in the attempt. -- Joseph Heller, Catch 22

I'm not much into "magic remedies", when the problem can easily be remedied by removing the mechanical abuse.
On Fri, 07 May 2010 19:38:20 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Minute movements of the wrist cause pain. It's the mere lifting of the fingers and/or the wrist which engages the overstimulated carpal sheaf nerves.
And the lifting of the entire arm to move the forearm with a mouse can cause the shoulder and/or back muscles to spasm in some folks.
BTDT to a very mild extent with both. Moved to a trackball and haven't looked back. No surgery needed and no pain now, -except- when I use a mouse for a couple hours. I decided to bypass the pain by moving away from a mouse as soon as I had determined that it was the culprit.
-- Live forever or die in the attempt. -- Joseph Heller, Catch 22

Once the sheath is inflamed, yes. The cause was funky wrist (and finger) movement. Keep the wrists straight and the fingers can move freely.

Why would you *lift* the mouse? Just slide the arm. How do you move the mouse (large distances) "vertically" without moving the arm? Just do the same for lateral movements. Keep the wrist straight.

I'm exactly the opposite. No trackballs for me! Oh, the pain...
On Sat, 08 May 2010 10:38:08 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

With your arm on the desk, your hand has to elevate to get onto the mouse, bending your wrist. Once your wrist is bent, moving your fingers irritates the nerves.

To move your forearm, you lift your ARM, duuuuuuude. I didn't say anything about lifting the mouse.

The mouse lifts your hand off the table, angling your wrist, unless you either use A) an arm lift, B) a mouse depression in the desk, or C) lift your entire arm each time. Which is it?

I didn't say to use a regular trackball, which doesn't help at all and may increase the stresses. I specified those with thumb-activated balls and gave a list. Try one of those.
-- Live forever or die in the attempt. -- Joseph Heller, Catch 22

There's your mistake; your arm should not be on the desk. Your desk/chair heights are all wrong and you're sitting too close to the desk.

No, if sitting properly there is no need to lift the arm to move it. No wonder you have RSI issues.

D) none of the above. My arm is not on the desk. It's in free space (or on the arm rest of the chair), where it belongs.

I didn't see your list.
On Sun, 09 May 2010 09:06:54 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Unfortunately, I didn't save a copy.
Let's rebuild it, this time saving it:
The Logitechs include the Trackman Portable (which Toshiba and IBM both licensed and built), Trackman Optical, and Cordless Trackman Wheel.
Microsoft put out the Trackball Optical and Ballpoint mouse.
Another possible type is the IOGEAR Phaser 3-in-1 Presentation/Mouse and the Logitech Trackman Live! I don't think I'd like the small balls, though. It might limit fullscreen pointer travel, which is a problem with the Trackman Portable in XP unless you turn off pointer precision, which isn't as bad a problem.
I ordered one of these from Hong Kong the other day and expect it sometime this month. http://fwd4.me/NQs
-- The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will interest her or his patients in the care of the human frame, in a proper diet, and in the cause and prevention of disease. -- Thomas A. Edison

I use the 3DConnexion Space Navigator with Sketchup. Lets me really fly. I drive it with my left hand to handle zooming and xyz positioning and use the right hand and 5 button scroll wheel mouse to do the actual drawing. The CAD guys at work are adept at using one hand on the keyboard and the other with the mouse or tablet, and they can move really quick too. But I just found the SN to be quite intuitive and fast to get used to.
HTH,
Paul Franklin
On 5/7/2010 6:00 PM, Paul Franklin wrote:

I've had an eye on the Space Navigator for awhile, just never got a chance to check it out personally since retailers are so sparse in this neck of the woods.
I keep hearing good things about it and it makes sense to do panning, zooming and orbiting with one hand while drawing with the other. May have to give it a try.
Thanks ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Working a control with the left and right hand sounds tricky,,, a lot like playing domino's and winning.
On 5/8/2010 10:56 AM, Leon wrote:

As long as there's no estrogen involved, no problem.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

I picked up a SpacePilot (the older model) on eBay and love the thing. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/682518-REG/HP_Hewlett_Packard_EF390UT_SPACEPILOT_USB_3D_INPUT.html The extra buttons make it a lot more versatile, and it's comfortable.
wrote the following:

Nevahoiduvit. (Time to googlit)

Ditto that, in spades.
-- Live forever or die in the attempt. -- Joseph Heller, Catch 22

Tablets are best.
Logitech "laser" mice are good too. They have an invisible scanner beneath, not the red LED, and they're noticeably more precise. Cheap too - my USB cabled one was under 10. The Logitech "darkfield" mice (work on any surface, including glass) are good too, but more expensive - mine was 50 for a cordless.
On 5/6/2010 7:59 PM, gray asphalt wrote:

The minimum for Sketchup is reckoned to be a two button mouse with wheel, which is all I use with SU (LogiTech wireless laser); and I'm a pretty heavy user, often rendering an entire house from scratch off a full set of architectural and structural drawings, from foundation to cross sections, for bidding purposes.
After that it's really a matter of personal preference.
That said, I'm certainly interested in any supported device that would make the job easier.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

I use an Intellimouse Explorer four button mouse with scrolling, tilting centre wheel. The thing I like best about it is that the two side buttons are programmable for almost any preference. I also prefer a corded mouse which prevents accidentally dropping it on the floor and breaking it as well as eliminating any intermittent cordless stuttering movement.

It took a while to get weened off my trackball, but that Wacom Intuos tablet/pen/mouse combo is awful hard to surpass. I would have no idea how that concept could be improved upon, yet still, I miss the 'ballistic' feature of sending a pointer across the diagonal of a 30" screen with a mere flick of the wrist of a trackball. I do, however, like the medium size tablet the best. The big ones are just too cumbersome and I'm no artist where I need to have that much real estate. (They're also stupid money.) The small tablet is just that... small. Not quite enough fine movement ability. Henceforth, the Medium winneth.
The Wacom Medium Intuos is the Festool of input devices... there... I said it. (It is one of those deals where you didn't know what you didn't know till you used one and then wondered how you ever built a house without one...okay, I embellish..)

It took a while to get weened off my trackball, but that Wacom Intuos tablet/pen/mouse combo is awful hard to surpass. I would have no idea how that concept could be improved upon, yet still, I miss the 'ballistic' feature of sending a pointer across the diagonal of a 30" screen with a mere flick of the wrist of a trackball. I do, however, like the medium size tablet the best. The big ones are just too cumbersome and I'm no artist where I need to have that much real estate. (They're also stupid money.) The small tablet is just that... small. Not quite enough fine movement ability. Henceforth, the Medium winneth.
The Wacom Medium Intuos is the Festool of input devices... there... I said it. (It is one of those deals where you didn't know what you didn't know till you used one and then wondered how you ever built a house without one...okay, I embellish..)
Don't ever spill anything on a Wacom tablet :(
basilsik

Why not? What happens? . . . . . *smirk*