Sketchup - What's the best mouse for SU?

Page 1 of 3
Read some where that special 3D mice are great for CAD stuff. What say you?

My way of thinking says that SketchUp would be easier to handle when using a tablet. I say that because I have always used trackballs and tablets. I do not like mice, and I abhor trackpads. I can use all of the above but my absolute favourite is a Wacom tablet with their mouse. Why their mouse? Well, I am glad you asked. If one moves an ordinary mouse to create, say, a vertical (on screen visual of vertical) motion, an ordinary mouse must be pointed perfectly into that direction. The Wacom mouse can be held sideways, pointing towards or away from you, it will still give you a vertical movement if you move it vertically. I use a Intuos Medium (http://www.wacom.com/intuos/medium.php ) every day and have a Wacom Graphite installed on another computer. The Bamboo ones I'm told, are quite capable and fun.

My way of thinking says that SketchUp would be easier to handle when using a tablet. I say that because I have always used trackballs and tablets. I do not like mice, and I abhor trackpads. I can use all of the above but my absolute favourite is a Wacom tablet with their mouse. Why their mouse? Well, I am glad you asked. If one moves an ordinary mouse to create, say, a vertical (on screen visual of vertical) motion, an ordinary mouse must be pointed perfectly into that direction. The Wacom mouse can be held sideways, pointing towards or away from you, it will still give you a vertical movement if you move it vertically. I use a Intuos Medium (http://www.wacom.com/intuos/medium.php ) every day and have a Wacom Graphite installed on another computer. The Bamboo ones I'm told, are quite capable and fun.
Rotaboy, while I've been doing CAD work (AutoCad, SolidWorks, Invetor, Revit, Civil3D etc.) for over 35 years, I don't know what you mean about your mouse having to be pointed vertical. Right now I'm using a generic, inexpensive optical mouse with a wheel. To draw a vertical line in any of the programs above I simply slide the mouse vertically. The angle at which I hold the mouse does not seem to matter one iota!!
Please elaborate on what you mean. I haven't run SketchUp for about a year and I have not tried that one.
Ivan Vegvary
On 5/10/2010 8:17 PM, Ivan Vegvary wrote:

> Please elaborate on what you mean. I haven't run SketchUp for about a > year and I have not tried that one.
Could be wrong, but I don't think this has anything to do with SU?
If I turn my laser mouse sideways and move it vertically, the pointer moves sideways, regardless of the program.
On that note, one of the things that makes SU easier to use with a mouse in my experience, even easier than many other programs, is its geometric analysis inference engine.
For instance, in line drawing the linear inference will automagically move between snapping a new line on axis, from point, perpendicular, parallel, or tangent to the vertex.
This is real handy for the non pro's like me, particularly when drawing in 3D.
On most CAD programs I've used in the past I've had to periodically set a parameter/hold a key down to get that ability, even in 2D.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

With AutoCAD you simply turn "Ortho on" to make lines go horizontal or vertical. Drag the mouse short of 45 degrees and the line is horizonal. Drag the mouse over 45 degrees and the line goes vertical. Turn Ortho off and the line follows the mouse.

IIRC there is the "Space Navagator" that gets good reviews but I have not used it.. IIRC it does not replace the mouse rather it suppliments the mouse.
I cannot stand using a mouse for anything, I hate all the wrist movement, picking up, sliding, picking up, sliding etc.
I have have been very happy with thumb operated track balls for 20+ years.
On 5/7/2010 9:40 AM, Leon wrote:

In any case, they are only useful if your application supports them. Does Sketchup?
On Fri, 07 May 2010 10:20:39 -0400, "J. Clarke"

SU v7 happily accepts my Trackman Portable. I just ordered a finger trackball from Hong Kong. It's USB.
-- Live forever or die in the attempt. -- Joseph Heller, Catch 22

Shouldn't be much wrist movement. Except for gross, across-the page movements, mice should be moved with the fingers. I use my forearm for gross movements. Not much, if any, wrist movement at all.

Yabbut, you happen to be in a woodworking forum ... not everyone will have all the necessary digits to operate a mouse like that.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

groan!

I guess double-clicking is out of the question than, too.

LOL!.....
As for the mouse, use what works for you. Any advice from others on which is the best mouse is USELESS!! Another persons dream mouse may be your crippling nightmare. Only you can know this by using it yourself.
I was a pro Autocad designer. Forty plus hours per week pushing a mouse. I tried them all. Mouse, trackball, etc. What worked for me is personal. Of all the many cad drafter/designers in our group, no two ppl ever used the same setup. I have a box of old Logitech asymetric 3-button mouses. I've never again seen the same perfect combination of button spring tension, ball resolution, hand fit, etc, again. But, that's me. ;)
In the end, it's not what works. They all work. It's what doesn't work for you, what will end up giving you RSI problems. Usually, you won't know till it's too late. Sure, there will be an initial period of discomfort as you use new muscles. But, if after a reasonable period you start feeling continuing or persistent pain, change immediately. It only takes a few weeks to create an RSI problem that may take months to remedy. BTDT! ...more than once.
nb

Shouldn't be much wrist movement. Except for gross, across-the page movements, mice should be moved with the fingers. I use my forearm for gross movements. Not much, if any, wrist movement at all.
I have tried it with my wide's computer and mouse, seemed like a waste of time and effort to move the cursor and to orbit. And as far as track balls go, it has to be thumb operated, I prefer my fingers do the clicking and wheel rolling.

Set too slow? What's the issue?

I can't stand track balls, at least the fancy ones (I had a small one in the corner of a keyboard that worked well where space was constrained). My wrist would be shot in a half hour. Like you said, it's a very personal thing. I use Logitech laser mice.

Almost with out fail something gets in the way. I guess it is more the left and right motion rather than my picking the mouse up that is my problem. It just takes me a lot longer to move the mouse than it does to move my thumb. Rolling my thumb top to bottom on the ball gets me 70% across the screen, rolling forward and backward gets me top to bottom.

In general I hate track balls that are not "thumb only" operated. There are only a few out there that are available in the thumb configuration.

That's just a matter of tuning the mouse sensitivity and acceleration.

I find that the ball is in a horrible position for my hands. Like I said earlier, I had a keyboard with a built-in ball in the upper right corner that was OK for places where there wasn't room for a mouse (our lab). I could wrap my fingers around the right side of the keyboard and operate the ball with my thumb. That certainly worked better than a pad (I hate them) or trackstick (acceptable on the lap).

Shouldn't be much wrist movement. Except for gross, across-the page movements, mice should be moved with the fingers. I use my forearm for gross movements. Not much, if any, wrist movement at all.
To add a little extra here, there is actually a lot of mouse movement when orbiting of moving across an object that is many times larger than a 23" screen, when you are zoomed in working on details.

inflexible. Wild movements of the wrist are just asking for pain.

Watch your wrist and arm as you use your mouse. See muscles move clear up the arm? And its all going through the wrist. Mice and keyboards are probably now the most frequent cause of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.