SketchUp Web Query (Swingman?)

I've been playing with SketchUp7 and am now wondering if there's a browser widget of some sort that will allow viewers to use an "orbit" and "zoom" tools to see all sides of a rendering...

I'm thinking that it'd be neat to include 3D-viewable models on a web page - and that it'd make for some fantastic "how-to" pages. :)

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Leon

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Morris Dovey wrote in news:49526211$0$48224$ snipped-for-privacy@news.qwest.net:

It sounds like you looking for the "Sketchup Web Exporter". It can be found on this page...

Larry

"Morris Dovey" wrote

and Pro versions ...

Reply to
Swingman

"Swingman" wrote in news:houdndeRVvduAc7UnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

That one looks very nice but it needs Sketchup Pro. I'm using the free version...

Reply to
Larry

Me too, but it sounds as if the Teleporter S/W may be exactly what I was looking for. Some of the stuff I'd like to embed in web pages is intended only for perusal and provoking thought - where providing a complete "live" SketchUp model would short-circuit the learning I want to encourage.

I've downloaded both the free SketchUp Viewer and the free TelePorter software, and will play with both.

[ I think I'm just about ripe for a holographic display device. ]

Thanks for the suggestions and...

A very happy holiday season to all!

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Morris Dovey wrote in news:4953bd88$0$48227$ snipped-for-privacy@news.qwest.net:

The download I pointed you to creates jpg's at a user defined degree interval. You are able to drag the pictures so it appears to rotate. I *doesn't* expose your original model. What it is lacking is the zoom function you were looking for.

Larry

Reply to
Larry

Their demonstration page still looks fairly good - and my guess is that by the time I can afford SketchUp Pro, there'll be a plugin that provides the zoom feature, too.

I've found that a static rendering can be an improvement over even a photographic image - see

for an example...

Reply to
Morris Dovey

"Morris Dovey" wrote

Perhaps I misunderstand you, but google's web exporter can be used in any version:

I've found that a static rendering can be an improvement over even a

Makes a BIG difference in clarity ... damn cool joint on top of it! Can you say "belt, suspenders, AND safety net"? :)

Reply to
Swingman

Yuppers - and now I'm having altogether too much fun! On that same web page I have a batch of 2D drawings showing how the joint could be used to build a shop bench...

...and just for fun, I fired up SketchUp and drew a 3-1/2"x30"x96" top upside down, then used the push-pull to extrude the legs, again to extrude all of the stretchers, and finally again to extrude the two tool shelves. My total elapsed time was seven minutes. :)

I'll post a JPEG of the result to abpw. If I can ever get this thing figured out I may be dangerous. ;)

Reply to
Morris Dovey

All the drawings I've seen to date are greyscale. Does SketchUp do colour?

Reply to
Upscale

I think it does (Swing's cabinets were woodgrain!), but I haven't gotten far enough to begin worrying about appearance...

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Aha! I found a can of cherry latex for the solid parts and some grain enhancer for the cheap plywood shelves (hiding behind the paint tool). I'll post the results to ABPW.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

"Upscale" wrote

Why, hell yeah! :)