Sketchup Question

"Downed all over Kent, just like the Luftwaffe."

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Yep, and that's how I'm most likely to learn the thing.

Reply to
Steve Turner

That's why dual monitors are so popular.

Reply to
krw

On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 14:30:16 -0600, the infamous Swingman scrawled the following:

I can just see tomorrow's headlines now...

"SEX Crimes: SWINGMAN Jailed, Offering Mattress Tutorial via Internet"

-- Sex is Evil, Evil is Sin, Sin is Forgiven. Gee, ain't religion GREAT?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

... snip

Nope, won't run under Wine. Using CrossOver Office for a number of apps, but Sketchup won't work.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Doesn't always work that way. As I pointed out above, the same thing could have occurred with a meter/kilometer interface error (or cm / meter interface discrepancy). This isn't just a refusal on the part of one group to adapt to someone else's units. In real-time embedded systems, it is often the case that various order of magnitude selections are made in order to preserve numerical precision in calculations. So, if a certain control requires cm or other small unit precision, it is not practical to use that order of magnitude for guidance that is working in km due to numeric overflow issues.

I haven't seen the failure review report, but it is possible that the units chosen made sense because of available data and the units in those databases. Usually decisions made have some rational basis, particularly in projects of this magnitude. The problem is that sometimes those decisions don't get appropriately communicated between groups working on subsystems of those very large projects.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 16:13:45 -0600, the infamous Swingman scrawled the following:

Cool! I see there are ruby scripts for timberframers, too. Whuffo you no gots? How many of those did you buy? sMustard and...what else, if I may ask?

-- Sex is Evil, Evil is Sin, Sin is Forgiven. Gee, ain't religion GREAT?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

These were all free, IIRC ... I don't remember ever spending a penny on plug-ins.

I rarely use most except for construction stuff, mainly for stairs, floor joists, and frame walls with windows, doors and headers for same. These were all free, if I'm not mistaken.

The cutlist plugin (free), which exports to CutListPlus, is something I do use for woodworking, and I'm pretty sure that Leon makes good use of it also.

Reply to
Swingman

Cutlists are way cool. The one I now use allows for grain orientation, tool diameter, etc. (I'm sorry, it is a bit of a drive-by)

Robatoy

Cutlists are way cool. The one I now use allows for grain orientation, tool diameter, etc. (I'm sorry, it is a bit of a drive-by)

allows grain orientation???? I thought all of them had that....years ago.

Reply to
Leon

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 11:09:59 -0600, the infamous Swingman scrawled the following:

I saw the $79 price on the grab-it-all from sMustard, so I thought you might have done that.

Even better!

Bueno, bwana.

I'll definitely be installing SketchUp on the new box, if I EVER get to it. With all this rain, I'm happy to have a couple new websites to do right now.

-- Sex is Evil, Evil is Sin, Sin is Forgiven. Gee, ain't religion GREAT?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Errrrmmm on straight boards, yes. On random shapes? Years ago? Okay then. *S*

Reply to
Robatoy

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 10:20:10 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy scrawled the following:

Knight in their gallery. He evidently has a ShopBot and V-carve.

I was very impressed with SoftPlan's cutlist and BOM listings. It's roughly $3k, as is ChiefArchitect. (Scratch those, damnit.)

OK, SketchUp free version it is.

-- Sex is Evil, Evil is Sin, Sin is Forgiven. Gee, ain't religion GREAT?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Knighttools is a well respected participant on more than one forum. Even though I don't run a Shopbot, I get most of my 'inside scoop' from their sign making forum. The Vectric forum is also very useful and more specific to their software. Those Vectric people are some very fine folk. (BTW, the Partsworks pgm that comes with ShopBot is a Vectric product.)

Reply to
Robatoy

That's a whole 'nother world there, brother Rob ... makes me tired thinking about what it would take to just get started.

Reply to
Swingman

Just playing around with a video capture program this moring, so I made its maiden voyage with quickie "Sketchup Mattress Tutorial" VIDEO for you. :)

I say, it's a quickie by a noob with the software, and bit different from the other one, but it may get across the point that there is more than one way to skin a cat in SketchUp.

Reply to
Swingman

Just exploring some ideas for using SketchUp with other technology for presentation and marketing:

~Sketchup Kitchen Part 1 - The Planning:

Kitchen Part 2 - The End Product:

First efforts ...

Comments welcome (other than hiring another announcer...) :)

Reply to
Swingman

Thunderbird edited the ":" in the original post and it ended up in the Part 2 url, it should be:

Sketchup Kitchen Part 2

about that ...

Reply to
Swingman

Youtube was kind enough to ask me what else you posted. Hence I got to see part deux.

That's pretty impressive there brother Karl. *S* Can it output to a large format printer as well? If so, how big will it go at what resolution?

Reply to
Robatoy

Danke ... I asked Dave Richards at FWW's "Design, Click, Build" blog what he was using as video screen capture software, and he was kind enough to reply back with "Snagit":

'm just giving it a trial run. Not much of a learning curve and simple to operate. It does allow configurable printer options, but I haven't delved into that yet.

I've been using in on my little Dell XPS10 laptop with the built-in mic, not a single hiccup (other than operator error) thus far.

I'm trying to determine what blending of technologies is going to fit in well with the new website we're designing for the the home and kitchen cabinet business.

These is all guinea pig fodder ... I kinda feel like the old days when I was playing bass live in the control room, while recording 7 pieces on the other side of the glass, and being engineer and producer at the same time.

Something's gotta suffer ...

Reply to
Swingman