Sketchup Question

Page 7 of 9
On 12/30/2009 3:17 PM, Swingman wrote:

Just playing around with a video capture program this moring, so I made its maiden voyage with quickie "Sketchup Mattress Tutorial" VIDEO for you. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2GPaG9Ks6I
http://www.e-woodshop.net/files/mattress.mp4
Like I say, it's a quickie by a noob with the software, and bit different from the other one, but it may get across the point that there is more than one way to skin a cat in SketchUp.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

So you're out on bail? <gd&wvvf> Cool toot, Perfesser.
-- Society is produced by our wants and government by our wickedness. --Thomas Paine
Add pictures here
✖
Just exploring some ideas for using SketchUp with other technology for presentation and marketing:
~Sketchup Kitchen Part 1 - The Planning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
·YLc1lT-sk
~Sketchup Kitchen Part 2 - The End Product:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp3yUsSQ5E0
:
Again, First efforts ...
Comments welcome (other than hiring another announcer...) :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
On 1/3/2010 5:01 PM, Swingman wrote:

Thunderbird edited the ":" in the original post and it ended up in the Part 2 url, it should be:
Sketchup Kitchen Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp3yUsSQ5E0

Sorry about that ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Youtube was kind enough to ask me what else you posted. Hence I got to see part deux.
That's pretty impressive there brother Karl. *S* Can it output to a large format printer as well? If so, how big will it go at what resolution?
Add pictures here
✖
On 1/3/2010 5:29 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Danke ... I asked Dave Richards at FWW's "Design, Click, Build" blog what he was using as video screen capture software, and he was kind enough to reply back with "Snagit":
http://www.techsmith.com/screen-capture.asp
I'm just giving it a trial run. Not much of a learning curve and simple to operate. It does allow configurable printer options, but I haven't delved into that yet.
I've been using in on my little Dell XPS10 laptop with the built-in mic, not a single hiccup (other than operator error) thus far.
I'm trying to determine what blending of technologies is going to fit in well with the new website we're designing for the the home and kitchen cabinet business.
These is all guinea pig fodder ... I kinda feel like the old days when I was playing bass live in the control room, while recording 7 pieces on the other side of the glass, and being engineer and producer at the same time.
Something's gotta suffer ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

or manifest itself as a source of inspiration.
Add pictures here
✖

I've been using it for a number of years. It's an extremely capable capture program.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 04 Jan 2010 03:52:23 -0500, the infamous snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com scrawled the following:

How much better is it than the free screen cap included with Windows? Is it really worth $50?
-- Society is produced by our wants and government by our wickedness. --Thomas Paine
Add pictures here
✖
On 1/4/2010 7:55 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Video, and the way it interleaves the audio is what did it for me ... you can waste way more than $50 in time getting the audio and video synched and working correctly, and then the next time it's the same battle again, ad infinitum.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Wow, my first 2-minute look at their website didn't relay that info to me. Looking more closely, it's a helluva program, with annotation, image resizing, effects, audio/video capture, etc. I'da thunk they'd want to have played up the audiovisual studio aspect of the program.
It looks handy, like something I'll have to get and put on the new box. Do they want you to buy a new version every 6 months?
P.S: Best of all, you can use it "to put your friend's face on someone else's body." ;)
-- Society is produced by our wants and government by our wickedness. --Thomas Paine
Add pictures here
✖
On 1/5/2010 8:36 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

They do have a $300 program called Camtasia Studio, so be sure you weren't looking at that ... although Snagit does what you said, it is lacking in the video/audio editing deparment.

Don't think so ... they do have excellent CS, as I found out after I accidentally purchased two copies instead of one of Snagit.

Wouldn't do me much good. Like Leon says, who needs six pack abs when you got a keg? :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Darn, I -had- been looking at that. I don't care much for their website, now that you mention it.

I suppose that's a good thing.

<gag>
-- Society is produced by our wants and government by our wickedness. --Thomas Paine
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 04 Jan 2010 05:55:53 -0800, Larry Jaques

I haven't used Windows capture so I can't answer that question. But for Snagit I'd say it's easily worth $50 if I was to base my usage of it on price. With Snagit, one can capture fixed regions, scrolling regions (for a window that you'd normally have to scroll down to see all of it), windows, active windows and much more. You can output to about a dozen different file types. You can change resolutions, edit colours and more. It even comes with a built in instruction guide which is reasonably comprehensive.
I've got a Snagit shortcut locked onto my task bar for instant use when I want to capture something. Out of all the utility programs I use, I'd say that Snagit is near the top when it comes to usefulness. I'd guess that I use it several times every day. I also find it extremely useful when backing up settings such as capturing all the steps to setting up my Internet connections. A dozen captures or so, add them all to a pdf file and put that somewhere safe. A picture show gives so much more information than a simple text instruction guide.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 04 Jan 2010 23:58:35 -0500, the infamous snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com scrawled the following:

Yeah, so Karl said, too.

So I see.

Amen!
-- Society is produced by our wants and government by our wickedness. --Thomas Paine
Add pictures here
✖

Looks pretty cool. I like the ideal of the link to Youtube rather than e-mailing the file.
Add pictures here
✖

Looks good Karl. Really easy to understand. And the announcer has a charming sourthern accent. Ne need to hire another.
The different perspectives of the kitchen was really compelling and would impress many folks. From a pure marketing perspective, this would be something to emphasize. Any way you can do a little show and tell with the technical wizardy of Skeptchup, you should do it. Things that come to mind are;
1. Let people know that you can download a "show and tell" presentation onto their own computer. If you can make an independent presentation, it can do all kinds of warm and fuzzy interaction with the client without you being there. And they can run around and do some show and tell on behalf of your company. Alway include contact info on your presentations.
2. Emphasize customability and personalization. Does the missus like to bake? Does the family need a freezer nearby? Another sink? Is anybody real short or tall? Liquor and/or wine storage/display. Small children. Etc. And then create the best of options presentation. Do some variations that really off the customization.
Remember, when people make money decisions, they like to make choices. They don't like to be railroaded into one option. Give them choices. Even if you know what they are going to do ahead of time, they will appreciate it that you gave them some choices. Part of that "gentle hand" marketing.
3. I like the narration. It adds to the presentation and allows you to say things that may not be apparent to the layperson. Keep it simple and homey. That puts folks at ease. They don't want to buy from a high pressure salesman. Nor do most people trust "marketing speak".
4. Create a reference library. Some folks really like to do their homework. If you have a number of presentations all ready to go, that goes a long way towards make folks comfortable about talking to you and asking you to draw something up for them.
This is different than references, photos or a resume. This show you in a thinking, designing, customization capacity. High tech tools, yet simple enough that they can be displayed easily and understood by almost anyone. You can't go wrong with that approach. Particularly since you have all the other traditional things to back this sort of thing up.
5 Create some kind of initial response form. Keep it simple. Make it easy for people to get a hold of you. Leave it open to what specifically you can do. (You are versatile. You can do anything, right?)
6. Create a suggestions form and procedure. You want to hear all their ideas. This created talking points for you in your preseentation. You can include and/or exclude specific suggestions and give reasons why. By intercting directly with their suggestions, you are responding specically to their concerns. People like that.
7. Sketchup is a tool that is very accessable. Big buck CAD programs could not do what you are doing with this, particlarly in terms of making it simple for the customer. Make this a selling point. "We don't wanna pay the big bucks and spend all that time on the traditional approaches. So we use sketchup. " This is contemporary, low cost tool that allow a high level of creativity and service. And you are doing it.
That's all I can come up with off the top of my head.
Gotta run. Keep up the good work Karl.
Add pictures here
✖
On 1/3/2010 6:37 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:

Lee, mon ami ... can't tell you how much I appreciate your above input!
It is being printed and will come with me to the meeting in Austin later this week where we are discussing these very same issues.
Thank you VERY much for taking the time and effort to respond in such a valuable manner, really crystallized many of the thoughts I hadn't put into words yet ... I owe you one/two/or more, Bubba! :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Thank you sir.