Sketchup Question

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 22:55:46 -0600, the infamous basilisk scrawled the following:

B, how do you spill something _into_ a purtymuch sealed tablet?!?

-- It's a shallow life that doesn't give a person a few scars. -- Garrison Keillor

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 23:14:21 -0700, the infamous Mark & Juanita scrawled the following:

Kwitcher Wineing?

-- It's a shallow life that doesn't give a person a few scars. -- Garrison Keillor

Reply to
Larry Jaques

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark & Juanita"

Which is exactly why one would think that this kind of mistake should not have been made. I think NASA would fall under the group of Systems Engineers that would absolutely require top-level thinking and tedious attention to detail.

IMHO it seems only common sense that one unit of measure should be adopted and all others NEVER be allowed.

Reply to
Leon

You know, I have been resisting SketchUp because I didn't want to invest the time in learning the software. I was CAD trained years ago (early 80's) but never used it enough to get proficient. Worked for years with a bunch of CATIA operators and that software takes a long time to gain proficiency. I wanted to spend time doing woodwork, not learning software.

But after looking at the video, I'm going to download SketchUp and start playing. I can see where it might replace my old drafting equipment some day.

(Still a hell of a lot of control buttons around the edges though :^})

Thanks for the link .... I think.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

For some specific definition of "everything" and "much"... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

LOL ... well you do have one BIG hill to climb ... overcoming the resistance to the program due to ANY previous experience with CAD. :)

Most of us who fall in that category generally install SU, then wipe it, two or three times, before the light finally comes on.

SU is NOT "CAD", it is 3D modeling software, and should be approached with that sea change in mind. You approach it as a traditional CAD program and you'll do the above, almost guaranteed.

Biggest tip I can give you with SU is to approach it much like you would when building a piece in the shop - by drawing the same individual "components" of the project, ie legs, aprons, top, etc., EXACTLY as you would do in the shop, then put them together.

This is illustrated nicely in the video link I posted, and can't be emphasized enough.

For modeling woodworking projects, think "COMPONENTS" ... say it again, class: COMPONENTS! :)

Good luck, Ron ... you got any question, just holler. I'm far from an expert with it, but without reading a single book, I built a custom home, from foundation up, using nothing but plans generated by SU, for both bidding, construction, and inspection ... it was not something I initially wanted to do, but it was done nonetheless, and handsomely so.

I'm not the only one ...I think one of the other wRec'ers may have done the same thing here in Houston for a remodeling project which also required permitting and inspection.

Reply to
Swingman

All you bastids and your raves about SketchUp... I'm like RonB; I've been a TurboCAD nut for the past 10 years or so, but every once in a while (mainly due to all you guys raving about it here on the wreck) I make the attempt to gain some ground with SketchUp, and I always fail miserably. This time I bring it up (and install the NEW version, for the 27th time), and the *first* thing I want to do is draw a simple rounded rectangle and extrude it (push/pull in SketchUp speak) into the shape of a mattress. Do you think I can figure out how to draw a simple "rounded rectangle"? Hell no! According to the online help (which never seems to match the version I'm using), there IS such a function, but only after about an hour of piddling around I finally figure out it only comes in the PRO version of SketchUp, and I'll be damned if I'm spending $500 on that! That's almost as much as the latest version of TurboCAD Pro, and there ain't NO software product that's going to force that much money out of my wallet...

Reply to
Steve Turner

Not true at all, Steve.

There is NO functional difference in the Free and Pro versions when it comes to modeling.

The difference is in importing/exporting, and presentation using the Layout program which comes with the Pro version.

I will state unequivocally that I have NEVER modeled anything in the Pro version that I couldn't do in the free version. AAMOF, I only have the Pro version on my laptop. Both the shop and office version I'm using the free version.

Again, anyone who told you different is entirely wrong.

What you want to do is so simple that you will kick yourself for not snapping to it! :)

Make your rectangle using the rectangle too; use the Arc tool to make your rounded corners in the rectangle; Erase the corners; Use the Push/Pull tool to lift the face of the now rounded rectangle up to the desire thickness of the mattress.

If you want, I'll do a quick tutorial for you.

Just let me know and I'll post it on my website for download and post the link here.

Reply to
Swingman

So I've heard as well, but then how do you explain this:

it tells me to "Select any rectangle tool" (where it shows four different icons, one of which is the rounded rectangle I'd love to select), but my free version of SketchUp only has one. This functionality is apparently part of the "LayOut" product:

is only included in the Pro version of SketchUp.

I spent all the time I did knowing full well there was probably an alternate way of doing it (as you're about to explain), but by the time I finished arriving at that conclusion I was already ticked enough to close the program and walk away.

This brings me to another line of questions, but I'm in no mood to ask them at the moment so I'll save that for a follow-up post. Thanks for bearing with me though. :-)

Right now I need to become a quality Czech (see below). :-)

Reply to
Steve Turner

You know, I have been resisting SketchUp because I didn't want to invest the time in learning the software. I was CAD trained years ago (early 80's) but never used it enough to get proficient. Worked for years with a bunch of CATIA operators and that software takes a long time to gain proficiency. I wanted to spend time doing woodwork, not learning software.

But after looking at the video, I'm going to download SketchUp and start playing. I can see where it might replace my old drafting equipment some day.

I was formally taught on the board with the T-square and triangles, and to toot my own horn was pretty good at. I was placing high in college competition drawing contests when in HS. For other reasons I did not pursue that path in college or in my career.

I am totally self taught on CAD programs starting with IMSI Designer in 1986 and strictly using arrow keys for defined units of measure and no pointing device to Auto CAD LT. I thought AUtoCAD was simple,,, huh?

If you already have a working knowledge of CAD programs and how to draw, Sketchup can be conquered. ;~)

The most beneficial tools that turned the light bulb on for me when learning Sketchup were the simple video tutorials. Once you understand how Sketchup actually works you can easily learn the program and then you can add which ever of the hundreds and hundreds of available tools you may want to add.

(Still a hell of a lot of control buttons around the edges though :^})

The actual program comes with noticably few command icons and they will do everything you need to learn the program.

Reply to
Leon

So I presume most of those icons are a result of installing various "plugins":

recommended "must haves" from this list?

Reply to
Steve Turner

The above link leads to "Beyond Sketchup> Layout. The 4 icons "may" only be a part of the pro version but they may also be available as an add on.

Anyway with the free version use the rectangle tool that you actually have and draw a rectangle. Place an arc in each of the corners using the arc tool. Then erase the 4, 90 degree corner points of the rectangle. Then use the push tool to give that shape the depth/height you desire.

You may actually be trying too hard.

Reply to
Leon

Actually if you search for a "video" tutorial it may be much easier to understand than the one you referenced.

Reply to
Leon

Au contraire ... the Pro version ONLY has one rectangle tool ALSO. :)

Forget about Layout ... it is NOT a 3D modeling tool!!!

The Layout program only has 2D boxes for putting text in for presentation, just like Microsoft word would do, it NOT used in any way, shape, or form, for doing 3D models!

3D Models are brought into Layout, which has some basic 2D drawing tools strictly for creating "presentations".

You can't create 3D models with Layout!

Alright ... WARNING: this is a real elementary quickie that is not nearly the best representation of a mattress that I could do with SU, but it didn't take 30 seconds to do the model, and less than five minutes to do the whole damn tutorial thing, get it on the website, and write this backatcha ... but I too have to go make a quality Czech:

you need more, let me know ...

Reply to
Swingman

Yes, I mentioned to Swing that figured all along I could accomplish the end result using that method (and that's the method I would use if I were doing the same thing in TurboCAD), but somehow I ended down the path of thinking I could somehow "turn on" the additional rectangle tools mentioned in the online help and got completely cornfizzled.

No doubt I am. Once I finish off this Shiner Black Lager I might try again with a more relaxed approach. :-)

Reply to
Steve Turner

----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve Turner" Newsgroups: rec.woodworking Sent: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 2:54 PM Subject: Re: SketchUp Question - Must View

Probably. I am only showing/using 72 icons on my version. Of those icons I probably only use 20 regularily and of those 20 many are simply different view icons. And I typically use a simple keyboard command in place of clicking on an icon.

99% of the time I use

"L" for line, "P" for push/pull, "M" for move, "M + CTL" for copy. "T" for measure, "Space Bar" for select. "Space Bar + CTL" for multiple erase...

AND THE MOST IMPORTANT KEY OF ALL

The letter "G" to make a group of lines that look like a piece of wood into a "COMPONENT" You do not have to name it when prompted if you dont want to, a default name will be provided.

Google Sketchup Plugins and you will get a load of web sites with plugins.

Some sites I like are

Smustard even has a plugin to take you to their site to down load plugins. ;~) Some are pay plug ins.

Plugins I like to have extra

The Angle Dimension plug in. The Cut List 4.0 plug in for transfering your components in the CutListPro opt program. Becareful there are other Cutlist plug ins that IMHO are not as good as CUTLIST "4.0".

And others which I have probably forgotten about due to lack of use.

I also like to assign short cut key strokes to the frequently used icons. I forget where to look but there is a page to print that lists all the short cut key commands and mouse functions. I like to orbit by clicking and holding my middle mouse button and moving the mouse, or in my case my center scroll wheel and thumb ball. I prefer to not click on icons unless necessary, I'd rather press a key or two.

Reply to
Leon

Seriousely, once you learn the concept to Sketchup you may find yourself playing with it for fun.... imagine.

Reply to
Leon

Got it. Pro and Layout - it's all over between us! :-)

Awesome Karl, thanks.

No, just a point in the right direction and a kick in the ass was all I needed and more than I could have asked for. Thanks again! :-)

Reply to
Steve Turner

There are NO icons that are unique to the Pro version.

Many of those icons are most likely from plug-ins, but it is ridiculous to have that many, IMO.

I posted a picture of my plug-in directory a month or so back ... I'll see if I can bump it up. None of mine have icons on the tool bar, the few I do use are in a drop down list boxes under "Plug-ins".

I really don't use that many ... most just make it more convenient to do something that some users simply haven't gotten around to learning how to do ... a la training wheels on a bicycle.

That said, there are some plug-ins that are really handy for construction projects, like plug-ins for drawing frame walls between two points, with the ability to use either 2x6 or 2x4's, put in windows and doors, with different parameters for headers. I use those when designing structures, but for woodworking projects, except for the CutList plugin, I most often use only the tools on the toolbar (same in both versions) and no other plug-ins whatsoever.

AMMOF, using SketchUp, I just designed and built a $20,000 deck for a client and used no plug-ins whatsoever. Didn't even need the Pro version for "presentation" because I sent the client the .skp file as they had the free version already loaded on their Mac.

FWIW, here is just the framing plan for that deck that I simply printed out for RFQ's, and for the actual construction:

.zip

I did a much fancier version for the client, with the house and deck together, but it is bit big to post on my server.

Reply to
Swingman

Here's a prntscrn dump of my SU plug-in directory:

you can see, a good many are for construction and not woodworking.

Reply to
Swingman