Sketchup Question

Page 5 of 9
On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 22:55:46 -0600, the infamous basilisk

B, how do you spill something _into_ a purtymuch sealed tablet?!?
-- It's a shallow life that doesn't give a person a few scars. -- Garrison Keillor

That's why dual monitors are so popular.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/22911/a-fern-stand-demonstrating-my-drawing-process
Sketchup has to be the best CAD program ever made.
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

Careful now ... that is akin to a religious statement around here. SketchUp is "3d modeling" software and not "CAD" in the technical sense.
:)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
On 12/29/09 9:51 AM, Swingman wrote:

No, no. It's better than any CAD program, ever.
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

For some specific definition of "better"...
On 12/29/09 11:59 AM, dpb wrote:

It's free and it does everything the $500 programs do, and much better.
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

Except run under Linux. :-(

Rob Leatham
On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 23:14:21 -0700, the infamous Mark & Juanita

Kwitcher Wineing?
-- It's a shallow life that doesn't give a person a few scars. -- Garrison Keillor

Nope, won't run under Wine. Using CrossOver Office for a number of apps, but Sketchup won't work.

Rob Leatham
-MIKE- wrote:

For some specific definition of "everything" and "much"... :)

Finally an opinion from somebody who has worked with all CAD programs. It still baffles me that I got anything done at all prior to SketchUp's arrival on the scene. I mean.. how did NASA EvAR get anything off the ground? <G> . . . ...other than that.....nice try, Mike.

Finally an opinion from somebody who has worked with all CAD programs. It still baffles me that I got anything done at all prior to SketchUp's arrival on the scene.
Obviousely you still are not uusing Sketchup, you would know the difference otherwise. ;~)
I mean.. how did NASA EvAR get anything off the ground? <G>
More like we now know why the Russians beat us up there.

Many people know that I am highly biased towards a program that I know like the back of my hand and will never see a reason to switch. Who knows? If somebody put the same academic effort into SketchUp as I did my CAD, they could very well blow me away in all areas of CAD. In fact, it is highly probable. But, so far, I have not seen anything come out of SU that made me say: "OMG!!! I wish I could do that!!" Nor is that likely to happen anytime soon. But, in all fairness, SU has come a long way and I'm happy to see it create such a huge following. It's a fantastic tool for the woodworker. They put a whole new meaning to 'entry level' modeling software. Kudos to Google for giving away software that people can use to populate Google Earth with 3D buildings. Smart.

Ooooooowaitasec... Leon is trying to trick me. *I* happen to know that the Canadians got there first.
On 12/29/09 12:00 PM, Robatoy wrote:

shhhhhhh. :-)
--

-MIKE-

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 10:00:14 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy

Try giving the program to 157 people at one time and allowing several million dollars and several years for each project, no matter how small. _That_ is how NASA does things.
And they still missed a simple thing like expansion/freezing rates for rubber o-rings... <sigh>
-- It's a shallow life that doesn't give a person a few scars. -- Garrison Keillor

They didn't miss the O-ring issue. They knew all about it. MT engineers fired off all kinds of warnings. They took a gamble based on politics and lost. THAT is the sad part.

And errrr uh.... The kilomete /mile calculation that shot millions into the Mars surface.

THAT was Bush's fault.

Or was it Clinton's fault......?