Sketchup Question

That is indeed an amazing piece of technology at a helluva good price.

Reply to
Swingman

Finally an opinion from somebody who has worked with all CAD programs. It still baffles me that I got anything done at all prior to SketchUp's arrival on the scene.

Obviousely you still are not uusing Sketchup, you would know the difference otherwise. ;~)

I mean.. how did NASA EvAR get anything off the ground?

More like we now know why the Russians beat us up there.

Reply to
Leon

I have seen a little of this tool and I am now convinced, this is something worth learning.

Bravo.

Sw> For woodworkers using SketchUp to design and plan your projects the link

Pat Barber

Many people know that I am highly biased towards a program that I know like the back of my hand and will never see a reason to switch. Who knows? If somebody put the same academic effort into SketchUp as I did my CAD, they could very well blow me away in all areas of CAD. In fact, it is highly probable. But, so far, I have not seen anything come out of SU that made me say: "OMG!!! I wish I could do that!!" Nor is that likely to happen anytime soon. But, in all fairness, SU has come a long way and I'm happy to see it create such a huge following. It's a fantastic tool for the woodworker. They put a whole new meaning to 'entry level' modeling software. Kudos to Google for giving away software that people can use to populate Google Earth with 3D buildings. Smart.

Ooooooowaitasec... Leon is trying to trick me. *I* happen to know that the Canadians got there first.

Reply to
Robatoy

It's free and it does everything the $500 programs do, and much better.

Reply to
-MIKE-

shhhhhhh. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

> Regardless of your skill level I guarantee there is something you will

You and Leon already helped me get up and running with SketchUp earlier this year (thanks)! I really enjoyed the video--nice to see a real master at work. I have a long way to go...but so far so good! For those who haven't tried SketchUp yet, please do! : )

Bill

Reply to
Bill

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 10:00:14 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy scrawled the following:

Try giving the program to 157 people at one time and allowing several million dollars and several years for each project, no matter how small. _That_ is how NASA does things.

And they still missed a simple thing like expansion/freezing rates for rubber o-rings...

-- It's a shallow life that doesn't give a person a few scars. -- Garrison Keillor

Reply to
Larry Jaques

=A0 -- Garrison Keillor

They didn't miss the O-ring issue. They knew all about it. MT engineers fired off all kinds of warnings. They took a gamble based on politics and lost. THAT is the sad part.

Reply to
Robatoy

And errrr uh.... The kilomete /mile calculation that shot millions into the Mars surface.

Reply to
Leon

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 10:16:17 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy scrawled the following:

I just had to buy a USB to Parallel adapter, and I still haven't figured out how I'll get my old DB9 + wall wart plugged into my new portless computer. Is there an adapter for the ArtZ to USB, Toy? I still have to reinstall all my old progs and learn the ins and outs of Win7, too.

-- It's a shallow life that doesn't give a person a few scars. -- Garrison Keillor

Reply to
Larry Jaques

THAT was Bush's fault.

Reply to
Robatoy

Or was it Clinton's fault......?

Reply to
Robatoy

=A0 -- Garrison Keillor

We are all going to be using iSlates after Jan 26

Reply to
Robatoy

Shoot anything with an 'i' in front of it.

Please.

Reply to
jbry3

LOL

Reply to
Robatoy

Do not spill your beverage of choice into a wacom tablet they are very unforgiving and you will have a expensive plastic paperweight. DAMHIKT

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

Except run under Linux. :-(

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Think that one occurred during the 90's under Clinton's watch.

Not that there's any correlation -- stuff happens despite rigorous testing. Could just as easily have been a m / km unit problem and they'd have still been off by 3 orders of magnitude. Systems Engineering is a discipline that requires both top-level thinking and tedious attention to detail.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 20:39:50 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy scrawled the following:

Don't forget the 'e's, too. ebooks for your iphone, E! online, eShop, etc. [Since I've received far too much spicy goodness from eBay, I'll forgo (_that_ word should have an e, though, damnit) condemning them, though they haven't refunded the price of the fake thumb drive yet. Case still pending, awaiting customer service reply Day 11.]