Sketchup Question

Then you're still an idiot of massive proportions, because your time as posted on the newsgroup is still an hour in the future. Obviously, you didn't pay attention and have decided that what you choose to do has to be right if you stamp your feet hard enough. Perhaps in the shadow of your one man clown show, no one will notice that it's actually wrong.
You're so arrogant, it's laughable. Keep playing an ignorant newsgroup twit. It fits you perfectly.
Add pictures here
✖
I've been experimenting for a few hours...I learned the answer to why we want to make "Components"--as was suggested the other day. Otherwise the pieces are difficult to select or take apart, for instance! As components, pieces move easily.
Here is my question:
I made a bookshelf side (component) with some hidden dados cut for shelves. I entered the depth manually.
Then I made a shelf (component).
Then by working from various orientations, I was able to move a shelf into the bookshelf side.
However, I was just "eye-balling" it. I couldn't really tell "how far" in the shelf was into the dado.
Is there a way to get a "perfect fit into the dado? The advantage to this would be that you could messure the size of the pieces after you build/design a project. Is there better way to approach this with SketchUp?
In general, I'm really just learning to assemble components. Suggestions welcome, of course.
Thank you, Bill
Add pictures here
✖
Bill wrote:

If the dado is not blind on both ends, there is an easy way to get perfect alignment. If it is blind on both ends, you need X-ray view.
Pan or rotate your view (not the piece) so that you can see the not-blind end of the dado as well as the other end of the dado. Make sure the shelf is in the same view. With the Move tool, click on the corner of the shelf that will be snugging into the furthest reach of the dado. (You'll get a purple dot with the message "Endpoint in Component")
With the Move tool, move that point close to the end of the dado (the hidden end). You are again looking for "Endpoint in Component" to confirm that you've wedded the pieces properly. Likely you won't on first pass, and you may have to pan, rotate, or zoom to ensure that they're lined up perfectly.
You have to futz with the views a lot the first few times to get it right. After that, it gets a bit easier.
If you really can't get a view that works, switch to X-ray or wireframe (View>>Facestyle>>X-Ray) and follow the same steps. Tanus
Add pictures here
✖
Bill wrote:

Many ways to do it, but one of the easiest is to to use "xray" view and the Move tool to move the shelf into the hidden dado using the appropriate corner/"inference" point.
To learn more about SU's "inference engine", which is extremely helpful in placing components in a model:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
ÿfmIgJqlIw
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Bill I posted a link to a a Beginners Sketchup tutorial. I learned from it! Some times things have to be done differently.
Something you might try as illustraded in the video. Draw your sides with the dado's and convert into components. Then instead of drawing a shelf "out side the box" Start drawing the shelf using the inner dado corners as the limits/length and thickness of the shelf using the rectangle command. Basically start the rectangle in the top corner bottom of a dado and end in the opposite bottom corner of the dado. This should give you a rectangle the corect length inside the dado's. Then push that long narrow rectangle to the depth that you want or to an inferance point. AND then convert that shelf into a component.
Add pictures here
✖

An additional note, you mentioned hidden dado's. If you are using stopped dados condiser using the method mentioned above from the back side where the dado actually exits/starts. If stopped on both front and back use the method above but turn on x-ray so that you can see the bottoms of the dado's and draw the rectangle.
Add pictures here
✖
Leon, Tanus, and Swingman,
Thank you for your SketchUp tips! I'll try them during this evening's practice session! I haven't tried the X-Ray view yet.
Thanks, Bill

Add pictures here
✖

I posted my progress with stopped dados, et. al. as pdf files under the thread "SketchUp Workbench3" at alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking. Admittedly, it took almost 5 hours, but I had fun most of the time...
Now I need to learn how to (really) make drawers, and the things that go with them. SketchUp really does appear to encourage thinking about design--helping one visualize and allowing one to alternate between the macro and micro aspects. A room full of power tools, would distract me from being as attentive to detail as I am learning to be.
Bill
Add pictures here
✖
For woodworkers using SketchUp to design and plan your projects the link below is a must view video:
http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/22911/a-fern-stand-demonstrating-my-drawing-process
Regardless of your skill level I guarantee there is something you will learn by taking the time to just run through it once.
+10
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

http://www.finewoodworking.com/item/22911/a-fern-stand-demonstrating-my-drawing-process
Did you notice how many tool icons there were on his version of Sketchup? LOL
Good Video.
Add pictures here
✖
Leon wrote:

No kidding ... with that many, even if I plugged my laptop into the 24" office monitor, there would hardly be room to see the drawing.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Thatsawhy I put all my tools on the flaptop and the drawing on the larger monitor. Works on both my flaptopPC/samsung monitors and my Apple/Sony combo's Mouse (trackballs actually) flies through the air between them.
I recently bought a Wacom Graphire tablet which has a whole lot more features than my old Artz. It has a scroll wheel and assignable buttons. Just a fabulous tool. And the software came with MacOS and PC drivers so it is plug and play portability between my home office and my shop. The tablet, aside an old Kensington track ball, makes for very accurate and lightning fast navigation. (Only because I'm used to it, I can't say I recommend that set-up to anybody.) Also, it came with the latest Adobe Photoshop Elements. Going over the features it has now, it makes me a bit pissed at having paid for a full Photoshop some years back.
Add pictures here
✖
Robatoy wrote:

That is indeed an amazing piece of technology at a helluva good price.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Robatoy wrote:

That is indeed an amazing piece of technology at a helluva good price.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
✖
On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 10:16:17 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy

I just had to buy a USB to Parallel adapter, and I still haven't figured out how I'll get my old DB9 + wall wart plugged into my new portless computer. Is there an adapter for the ArtZ to USB, Toy? I still have to reinstall all my old progs and learn the ins and outs of Win7, too. <sigh>
-- It's a shallow life that doesn't give a person a few scars. -- Garrison Keillor
Add pictures here
✖

We are all going to be using iSlates after Jan 26
Add pictures here
✖
Shoot anything with an 'i' in front of it.
Please.
Add pictures here
✖
On Dec 29, 10:20 pm, snipped-for-privacy@triton.net wrote:

LOL
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 20:39:50 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy

Don't forget the 'e's, too. ebooks for your iphone, E! online, eShop, etc. [Since I've received far too much spicy goodness from eBay, I'll forgo (_that_ word should have an e, though, damnit) condemning them, though they haven't refunded the price of the fake thumb drive yet. Case still pending, awaiting customer service reply Day 11.]
-- It's a shallow life that doesn't give a person a few scars. -- Garrison Keillor
Add pictures here
✖

tablet they are very unforgiving and you will have a expensive plastic paperweight. DAMHIKT
basilisk

✖