Sketchup Question

You're looking at the wrong post. The one in which I made these comments is stamped 11:36; the one (of mine) to which I was referring is stamped 11:17. I couldn't really know how mine was going to be stamped before I sent, could I? :-)

No. There is no setting in Thunderbird for this kind of stuff, and the information we're talking about is right there in the message headers. And threading will only overrule time stamps if I'm looking at the threaded view. If I sort by timestamp then threading plays no part in the sort order, and that's where the problem shows up. Recall that I'm not the only one seeing this problem.

Reply to
Steve Turner

You're right, of course. Going back that far in Google is too painful now.

So is the threading info.

Then don't do that. ;-)

Reply to
keithw86

Give it up Steve. Jack is much too arrogant to even consider that the problem is at his end. Even though he can see the hour difference between a message posted from his own computer is different than the time posted on the newsgroup, it's far beyond his capability to even acknowledge there might be a clock problem, much less that he's responsible for it.

You cordially told him how to fix it and all he wants to do is argue.

Reply to
upscale

Well now I have a different guy arguing with me, but I'm not going to spend much more energy on it. :-) I am curious though about whether Jack has his daylight saving time flag turned on; for me it's been the bug that keeps on biting.

Reply to
Steve Turner

There's a good chance it is. I had the same problem several months back. Turned the time flag on and the problem went away. Can't remember exactly why I turned it off in the first place, but I do remember turning it off on purpose for some reason.

Reply to
upscale

The hour offset when his local time seems ok is probably indicative the mail client is picking up some setting and adjusting or not when it shouldn't/should.

W/ the switch in dates, perhaps he's got an old OS that doesn't know the right day _to_ switch, maybe???

--

Reply to
dpb

I've been experimenting for a few hours...I learned the answer to why we want to make "Components"--as was suggested the other day. Otherwise the pieces are difficult to select or take apart, for instance! As components, pieces move easily.

Here is my question:

I made a bookshelf side (component) with some hidden dados cut for shelves. I entered the depth manually.

Then I made a shelf (component).

Then by working from various orientations, I was able to move a shelf into the bookshelf side.

However, I was just "eye-balling" it. I couldn't really tell "how far" in the shelf was into the dado.

Is there a way to get a "perfect fit into the dado? The advantage to this would be that you could messure the size of the pieces after you build/design a project. Is there better way to approach this with SketchUp?

In general, I'm really just learning to assemble components. Suggestions welcome, of course.

Thank you, Bill

Reply to
Bill

If the dado is not blind on both ends, there is an easy way to get perfect alignment. If it is blind on both ends, you need X-ray view.

Pan or rotate your view (not the piece) so that you can see the not-blind end of the dado as well as the other end of the dado. Make sure the shelf is in the same view. With the Move tool, click on the corner of the shelf that will be snugging into the furthest reach of the dado. (You'll get a purple dot with the message "Endpoint in Component")

With the Move tool, move that point close to the end of the dado (the hidden end). You are again looking for "Endpoint in Component" to confirm that you've wedded the pieces properly. Likely you won't on first pass, and you may have to pan, rotate, or zoom to ensure that they're lined up perfectly.

You have to futz with the views a lot the first few times to get it right. After that, it gets a bit easier.

If you really can't get a view that works, switch to X-ray or wireframe (View>>Facestyle>>X-Ray) and follow the same steps.

Tanus

Reply to
Tanus

Many ways to do it, but one of the easiest is to to use "xray" view and the Move tool to move the shelf into the hidden dado using the appropriate corner/"inference" point.

To learn more about SU's "inference engine", which is extremely helpful in placing components in a model:

Swingman

Bill I posted a link to a a Beginners Sketchup tutorial. I learned from it! Some times things have to be done differently.

Something you might try as illustraded in the video. Draw your sides with the dado's and convert into components. Then instead of drawing a shelf "out side the box" Start drawing the shelf using the inner dado corners as the limits/length and thickness of the shelf using the rectangle command. Basically start the rectangle in the top corner bottom of a dado and end in the opposite bottom corner of the dado. This should give you a rectangle the corect length inside the dado's. Then push that long narrow rectangle to the depth that you want or to an inferance point. AND then convert that shelf into a component.

Reply to
Leon

An additional note, you mentioned hidden dado's. If you are using stopped dados condiser using the method mentioned above from the back side where the dado actually exits/starts. If stopped on both front and back use the method above but turn on x-ray so that you can see the bottoms of the dado's and draw the rectangle.

Reply to
Leon

Yet my time zone is set correctly, at 5 hours, not 6 hours...

I think you nailed it. I have mine turned off, because I don't want windows adjusting my clock. I turned it off because it was fussing with the time changes on the wrong dates. When they changed the dates, I found a fix and installed the patch. Then one fine day I had to reinstall windows and lost the fix. I never bothered to find the patch, and re fix it, instead, I just turned off the auto time change crap. My clocks are all correct though, and the time stamps on my messages I send show correctly here, and the times showing on your messages are showing correctly here. I guess because I don't have windows automagically screwing with the times:-)

Reply to
Jack Stein

I know of the hearing-impaired, the sight-impaired, impaired driving...never, ran across a chronologically impaired person until you showed up.

You do understand that the time setting is not for your benefit, it is for the benefit of others, right? Whatever it is that you and/or your machine is doing, is wrong. Why don't you change the setting and let Windows adjust the time for you. Then switch back if you believe there is a benefit. That might correct the situation...at least until you human-error adjust it back to the way it was.

RicodJour

Right, that is the source of the problem. My fix is to set the clock manually, 2x a year. It is 11:50 am as I send this message. That is the correct time from where I am sitting:-). It will also be the correct time showing up on my message when it comes back to me. It will be wrong when the time changes back to EST, whenever that might happen, then, I will have to fix it again.

Reply to
Jack Stein

Then you're still an idiot of massive proportions, because your time as posted on the newsgroup is still an hour in the future. Obviously, you didn't pay attention and have decided that what you choose to do has to be right if you stamp your feet hard enough. Perhaps in the shadow of your one man clown show, no one will notice that it's actually wrong.

You're so arrogant, it's laughable. Keep playing an ignorant newsgroup twit. It fits you perfectly.

Reply to
upscale

Really? The time posted that I sent the message is exactly correct on my newsreader, it goes out with the correct time, and it comes in with the correct time. Steve's messages come in showing the correct time.

Yes, Steve is not an idiot, like you are... I guess I should have known when I thought Sweetnothing or whatever fake name of the day you were using was not a troll, but just, simple you... When an idiot tells me my clock is wrong, and my clock is right, I ignore it. When Steve says my time zones are showing up wrong and asks if I have windows automatically adjusting for time zones, I pay attention.

Anyway, the correct time where I'm sitting is 1:07 pm, and the correct time zone where I'm sitting is Eastern. Obviously something between me and you is incorrectly adjusting my [correct] time into daylight savings time, and it does not need adjusted, because it is already manually correctly adjusted for that.

Reply to
Jack Stein

Leon, Tanus, and Swingman,

Thank you for your SketchUp tips! I'll try them during this evening's practice session! I haven't tried the X-Ray view yet.

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
Bill

Jack,

Been a while, but IIRC, the time stamp is made by(function)a system call to the OS and no amount of futzing above that level in Windows is going to solve the underlying DST problem. BTDT. If you reapply the patch that should fix the problem. Try the below:

Swingman

I posted my progress with stopped dados, et. al. as pdf files under the thread "SketchUp Workbench3" at alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking. Admittedly, it took almost 5 hours, but I had fun most of the time...

Now I need to learn how to (really) make drawers, and the things that go with them. SketchUp really does appear to encourage thinking about design--helping one visualize and allowing one to alternate between the macro and micro aspects. A room full of power tools, would distract me from being as attentive to detail as I am learning to be.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Really? You think my Windows OS is the only one that doesn't know when to adjust for daylight savings time?

No, I didn't know that.

Whatever it is that you and/or your

What would you like me to do? My clock is correct, my time zone is correct, my dates are correct.

I explained why. Auto change doesn't work on my system so I manually set the clock to the CORRECT TIME. I didn't know it was screwing up everyone else's day, I knew my computer showed the correct time, and my mail, and everyone else's mail was showing the correct time when it comes here.

I've re-applied the patch, but if you actually thought I was going to set my clock to the wrong time to make a few people here happy, you are wrong. It's 10:50 am, so the patch should make your day. If not, tough beans.

Reply to
Jack Stein