Sketchup question

Page 2 of 3
Tom Dacon wrote:

Me too as a rule. Way backalong I used to have an account with Tech Data, which is a major wholesaler. Newegg was beating wholesale on the same product, and one day I discovered that it was shipped from the same warehouse--they were just passing the order along to Tech Data's online order entry system. Note that Provantage, Amazon, and many other vendors do the same thing, instead of having stock on hand they just pass the order through to the wholesaler.
If you have a business license and live in the same town with a Tech Data or Ingram warehouse it's likely worth getting an account--you won't do enough volume to get the kinds of discounts that Newegg and the like get, but the account doesn't cost anything and you can pick stuff up same day at the warehouse.

or
I used to have an Ingram account and they cancelled it when I didn't place an order in a six month time period. When I tried to renew the account, they said I'd have to pay a $250 account fee and have to resubmit all my credit information. I told them to shove it. The same thing happened with Supercom.
I don't know if they're still doing the same thing with the current economy, but I now only deal with distributors that will let me have a cash only account and not insist on all the credit information crap. This might be a Canadian distributor cash grab. Do they do the same thing in the US?
"Leon" wrote:

Good selection of bits and pieces, not particularly competitive on complete units or software.
Lew
notbob wrote:

Its my understanding that SU doesnt Port to linux at all. Are you trying to run SU with Wine or some other crossover?
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Yes, wine. I got SU6 to load ok, but the driver script to detect my X-window system choked when it couldn't find Xfree86, which has been replaced by the x.org window system. I know my card will work (there was some question about OpenGL with my card) but I got it working on W2K just fine. Prob with that is W2K is a copy and I'm on an M$ partnered dsl provider. Not gonna go there. I need to have net access while I'm learning.
I've got a couple other tricks up my sleeve. ;)
nb
According to Google, SU will run on Linux using Wine: Note: A Linux version of Google SketchUp isn't available at this time. However, you may be interested to see how others have had success running Google SketchUp on Linux using Wine.

Seen top posted:

Operator runs SU on wine every night ... prefer a good Texas red from the Ft Stockton area, chilled to 65, in a big bowled wine glass.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

I enjoy a little wine while I plunk away at the keyboard myself. It is very relaxing. Funny thing about wine though.... Some of my family members are not 'drinkers'. All you have to do is ask them. "We are not drinkers." Yet the recyclers complain of back-pains every time they pick up the glass bottles at my aunt's place...and that's not counting the gallons which are bought in cardboard bladder boxes. Somehow, wine doesn't count. A local contractor, an Italian and one helluva of a nice guy, makes his own wine. It is fabulous. Usually a Chianti style. Him and his brother and their sons wouldn't THINK of drinking beer or a shot of scotch. "That'sa drinkingk!" Yet, on Sunday, after mass, they're so hammered, they're throwing bocce balls at each other and groping what they can. A regular riot and fun to watch.
Angela, at the stroke clinic, always asks what the alcohol intake of a referred patient is. She then multiplies that answer by 4....unless the patient is there with his/her spouse, then she multiplies the answer by 2.
Like most things, moderation means different things to different people. An uncle of mine, since deceased, used to put 'a little vodka' in his orange juice. He would then wander into the kitchen a few times, and every time he came back, the orange juice became more and more see-through. I took a sip of it once and it kinda reminded me of a dog, at full full speed, hitting the end of his chain, it almost knocked me on my ass...LOL
Robatoy wrote:

In South Louisiana we came by it honestly(?), at a young age ... "Hadacol". Ole Dudley LeBlanc's "vitamin drink" ... 12% alcohol, and, as he was wont to say, "wine costs less". Some of my earliest memories are the Hadacol signs on the sides of barns.
IIRC, it tasted like dirt, but after the first slug you didn't care.
And, as they say - "Hadacol it something"
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

I haven't thought of old Dudley J. and Hadacol in many, many years. When I was just a kid in the piney woods of North Louisiana in the late '40s and early '50s, most all the little old ladies were staunch Baptist and would raise Holy Hell if a bottle of whisky crossed their threshold. But an awful lot of them had a bottle of Hadacol sitting around somewhere in the house.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Those are the people/relatives I talk about. My buddy's mom, when I was growing up, had a knitting club. The local neigbourhood moms would sit around, knit, gossip, and eat 'boerejonges'. Those are brandy-soaked raisins. Innocent enough, right? You take a litre of brandy, throw in a bunch of dried raisins and put it on a shelf for (I'm guessing) months. Then, 3 or 4 moms would eat the whole lot.... and I could tell from the tone of 'chats' they were having, that the raisins possessed magical powers..<G> Raisins or no raisins, a litre of brandy is a litre of brandy.

Those are the people/relatives I talk about. My buddy's mom, when I was growing up, had a knitting club. The local neigbourhood moms would sit around, knit, gossip, and eat 'boerejonges'. Those are brandy-soaked raisins. Innocent enough, right? You take a litre of brandy, throw in a bunch of dried raisins and put it on a shelf for (I'm guessing) months. Then, 3 or 4 moms would eat the whole lot.... and I could tell from the tone of 'chats' they were having, that the raisins possessed magical powers..<G> Raisins or no raisins, a litre of brandy is a litre of brandy.
By coincidence, whilst flipping channels, I just happened to catch a few minutes of an 'I Love Lucy' episode where she's doing the commercial for "Vita-Veggie-Something-or-Other" and gets shitfaced in the process of numerous takes. And, how many of us had relatives (elderly?) that kept a jar of Mentholatum on window sills in the bedroom(s)?
Dave in Houston
Dave in Houston wrote:

Don't you mean Vaseline?

No, Mentholatum.
Dave in Houston
Robatoy wrote:

I think this was before liters.

Centre, litre, theatre etc. My spell-checker says so.
Depends on the brandy. Good stuff comes from France and has a king name :-) Distill it and live in one region only - call it Cognac, only from France.
Martin
HeyBub wrote:

Boere Jongens: Literally, Farmers' (or farmer's) boys:
Current recipe: http://www.familycookbookproject.com/view_recipesite.asp?rid &200&uid1617&sid493
I would guess that the original hard liquor used was jenever, not really whiskey, and certainly not brandy. Nother guess: Drinking the jenever straight was too harsh for the knitting club ladies. A little dilution and more flavor and you're good to go ...
--
Best regards
Han

Ahhh yes, the wicked task of translation. The mix-up from my part was in the word brandewijn. You are correct, it is not brandy that gets the knitting club hammered, it is grain alcohol, affectionately called brandewijn. I sit corrected, ^hic^

I hope you're enjoying the recipe!
Me, I stay with Stella Artois. Proost!
--
Best regards