Sketchup question

Page 1 of 3
I'm still working on getting sketchup working in Linux (no luck), but have it (SU6) up in a old version of W2K. Looks pretty good, but I'm curious about Google's hold on this product.
My question: Can Google Sketchup (freebie) create drawings in any format other than Google's proprietary file extension (skp). What is .skp and how can it be printed, exported, etc, into other formats likes tiff, jpeg, etc? Or can it? In short, what can I do with a SU drawing other than edit and view it on my computer screen or give it to Google? Thank you.
nb

You have many more options available with SU 7.0. If you print to PDF files which most any one can view and you can print to scale which IIRC was not possible with the previous free version.
You can use http://www.bullzip.com/products/pdf/info.php for a free PDF creator.
* How do I print to scale? Print
1. Switch to paraline mode by turning perspective mode off. To turn perspective mode off, open the "Camera" menu and click "Perspective" (so that a check mark is not displayed next to it). 2. Select a standard scalable view: Iso, Top, Front, Right, Back, or Left. To select a standard view, open the "Camera" menu, point to "Standard," and then click one of the views. Note: The scalable edges are those aligned with the axes.
Standard scalable view
3. PC: Open the "File" menu, and then click "Print." Mac: Open the "File" menu, and then click "Document Setup." 4. In the "Print Size" section of the "Print" dialog box, clear the "Fit to page" option. 5. If you are in paraline mode (step 1) and have selected a standard view (step 2), the scale options in the "Print Size" (Mac: "Print Scale") section are enabled when you clear the "Fit to page" option. Set the scale you want to use. 6. PC: Click "OK" to print your model. Mac: Click "OK" to save your document settings, and then print your model by opening the "File" menu, and then clicking "Print."

OK. Thnx for the info. Unfortunately, I'm running ancient computer hardware. It's fine for linux, but not enough horsepower for XP. Maybe when I upgrade, but I'd rather spend my money on tools. Got 3 new DeWalt woodworking tools and I'd like to get one of those multi-tools. ;)
nb

Sorry, I did not realize that 7.0 would not work on Linux.

Actually, I think it might, Leon. The problem is, I've been hanging on to my old hardware for too long. My ancient PII w/ linux runs so good, why upgrade. I have a legit copy of XP, but the PII ain't got the cpu pwr. I think I could get SU7 to run w/ linux, but my video card has fallen into driver limbo. Matrox made drivers for Xfree86 x-window system (linux), but when it changed to to xorg system, Matrox didn't bother to follow.
I need to buy some new computer hardware. It's that simple. :|
nb
notbob wrote:

TigerDirect is a pretty good resource for that.
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
Steve Turner wrote:

Or walmart.com.
HeyBub wrote:

Personally I'm on my second Gateway and both have been happy campers. I can see where they've cut corners that I wouldn't have cut building my own but I can't build 'em for the same price.

You only need a "barebones" setup as you have the OS already. Should be very cheap. Or there is always Craigslist.
-Jim

Actually desk top computers have become pretty cheap. If yours is "that old" an entry level $300 computer may look like a screaming machine. :~)
HeyBub wrote:

Walmart doesn't sell things like motherboards and power supplies though. Assuming, of course, that "I need to buy some new computer hardware" means "I want to build a system" rather than "I want to buy a system", which may be a poor assumption on my part. Even so, TigerDirect is a pretty good resource for any of that stuff, complete systems included. Besides, I hate "Walmarts"*.
* One of the many words that are always pluralized in Tex-English.
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

Agreed. The few components WM does carry are insanely overpriced. I will be updating components only. No point in buying new case (I've got several), audio card, P/S, NIC, CD drives, etc. A mobo, cpu, vid card and memory should do it.
nb

I buy some computer parts from computer geeks.com. Haven't been disappointed yet.

This place has pretty good prices. http://frys.com/
"Leon" wrote

If you happen to be near one of their retail stores, you will be in geek paradise checking out their computer parts. But be warned, just because Fry's carries it, doesn't mean they have it in stock. They are often out of an item. But the selection is good and if you just want standard items, you will do just fine.

I live less than 1 mile from a BIG one.

That's why I'm so spoiled. I used to live withing driving distance of half dozen Fry's. Now, I'm in remote CO. I have to use mail-order. I wouldn't even know where to go if I drove to Denver.
nb
notbob wrote:

We have a Fry's here in Austin; it's great fun to visit and they carry zillions of computer parts, but my experience is that they can't match TigerDirect in price. Just had a 500GB Western Digital Caviar delivered to my door for $59 plus shipping ($67), and it got here in three days. The best Fry's could do was $89 plus tax.
Steve Turner wrote:

http://www.frys.com/product/5478279?site=frysecampaign
http://www.frys.com/product/5891013?site=frysecampaign
I buy most of my hardware from www.newegg.com these days. You sort of have to know what you're after, but they've got all the good stuff at decent prices.