Sketchup & iPad2 - exciting times!

I use an iPad2 daily in my business as a General Contractor, and in eWoodShop kitchen, cabinetry and furniture jobs.

Many also know that I have also relied on Google Sketchup for a number of years for design and fabrication in the shop; even building a house in 2009 where all the construction documents for permitting, bidding and build, and much of the design except for the foundation plan, were generated using Sketchup.

Now both of those technologies have been leveraged even further.

This is a shot of my iPad2 this afternoon running a Sketchup model of a recent shop project:

is something I've been waiting for ... I'm excited! :)

Just opened up a whole new world for presentations. AAMOF, I've got a meeting in the morning on a prospective kitchen job and guess what's going with me!

For more information, and uses for other 3CAD programs:

Swingman

Very cool. Now, if you weren't a blind old heifer, you could use a smaller menu system so the project could be shown larger.

P.S: Can you design/draw directly on the iPad, or just view?

-- Most powerful is he who has himself in his own power. -- Seneca

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Like someone said (I think elsewhere, and this is paraphrased), waiting with baited breath for the port of Sketchup for the iPad. But, given the "love" between google and apple, that bait may become stinky ...

Reply to
Han

I don't have many pet peeves when it comes to cliches, but that's one of them.

Try "bated breath". :)

And no, C-Less, it is just a 3D model viewer which allows you pan, zoom, and orbit around your model. Three actions that were heretofore impossible to do outside SU on any device except a computer capable of running the program itself.

That's indeed progress ... besides, I can't imagine anyone wanting to design any custom piece of cabinetry or furniture on anything less than a computer capable of running the software, and with a mouse/pointing device attached.

Reply to
Swingman

Swingman wrote in news:oeKdnaMkZO- XVf3TnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Thanks!! I looked it up:

My excuse is that English is my second language, and there is no direct equivalent in Dutch that I know of.

Reply to
Han

Nice!

Thanx for that information. It makes more sense now. English is my first language.

------------

My excuse is that English is my second language, and there is no direct equivalent in Dutch that I know of.

Reply to
m II

Hey, give the furriner a break. He couldn't have used the "stinky" part without his misspelliung.

Cool enough.

There's that. I was thinking of quick designs to grab new contracts while in the field. (I process smaller potatoes than your org does, and I've sold things from a sketch on a 3x5" paper notepad.)

-- The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
Larry Jaques

iPad lacks the computing resources to pull it off. Maybe someday with "heavily arms" iPads.

Reply to
Bill

You would think woodworkers, of all people, would comprehend using the right tool for the job.

No one who actually uses one, and is therefore familar with the purposes for which an iPad is ideally suited, would consider wanting to use Sketchup on one to "design".

An iPad is an ideal _presentation_ tool. I would not use one to design on anymore than I would use a hammer to carve a cufflink.

Reply to
Swingman

Okay...("use a hammer to carve a cufflink") in my files/brainpan.

I bought my sweet Angela an iPad2 for finishing her Masters Degree and I have had a chance to play with it up at the cottage and SO see the potential to use it as presentation tool. Perfect for that job. Perfect. But inputting on it? Na... you need 2 big monitors and keyboards and stuff...

After that it's a simple transfer.

Reply to
Robatoy

Yeah, me, too. (You'd use a mallet, not a hammer, right? ;)

Grok that.

-- The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
Larry Jaques

=A0 =A0 =A0 -- George Bernard Shaw

Now what's the problem......?

Reply to
Robatoy

Bingo!

Reply to
Swingman

No problem. You forgot what "grok" meant, dincha? OK, Toysie.

grok is to intimately and completely share the same reality or line of thinking with another physical or conceptual entity. Author Robert A. Heinlein coined the term in his best-selling 1961 book Stranger in a Strange Land. In Heinlein's view, grokking is the intermingling of intelligence that necessarily affects both the observer and the observed. From the novel:

Grok means to understand so thoroughly that the observer becomes a part of the observed?to merge, blend, intermarry, lose identity in group experience. It means almost everything that we mean by religion, philosophy, and science?and it means as little to us (because of our Earthling assumptions) as color means to a blind man.

-- The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

That's what I thought, but thanks for putting it out in the open again, Larry. -- Best regards Han email address is invalid

Reply to
Han

I'm not as dumb as I look, you know...well..how COULD I be?

Reply to
Robatoy

Robatoy wrote in news:e23058d7-371f-4d80-9aa8- snipped-for-privacy@fd21g2000vbb.googlegroups.com:

With such a lovely face? Naah, impossible ...

Reply to
Han

What's her reaction to it so far?

Reply to
Swingman

She loves it. Emai, weather, news, some medical apps, her entire medication library, and Angry Birds. She's not totally convinced it is going supplant her desire to feel and smell a book, so as a reader, the jury is out. With the funeral and the visitors from the US and other places, she really hasn't had the time to snoop for aps. So far she loves it and I'm sure it will grow on her more as it fits in one of the side pockets of her lab-coat.

Reply to
Robatoy