Sketchup hep?

OK, I am long-time (very long-time) AutoCAD user. I can do 3D in Acad but my real skill is all 2D. Anyway, using Sketchup (what a blast) to do some 3D for assembly drawings mostly. I've done enough of the tutorials to be pretty good but have a Q.

I want to do a raised panel of sorts. Very simple form. So these are the steps but then I get stumped.

  1. I draw a rectangle the total size of the panel.

  1. I pull it up 1/4"

  2. I draw another rectangle on top of it 1" in from all sides.

  1. I draw another rectangle inside that, 2" in from all sides.

  2. I connect the corners with a line from inner rect corner to outer rect corner at all 4 corners.

  1. Now I want to pull the inner rect up 1/2" to create a bevel at four sides. However, just the center rectangle pulls.

How do I get the edges of the center rect to pull up the edges of the surrounding pieces? Or is there some way to grab the edge of each side piece one at a time?

As I write, I realize I could just do a 3/4" panel and then cut the bevel using a follow-me on 4 sides but would be nice to know if pulling is an option... I am really good at pulling but that is a different story.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

If I read you correctly.,,,

Try a different approach. Draw a profile of what you want on the side and then use the follow me tool around the panel to drage the profile around.

Reply to
Leon

You need to start thinking "components". :)

A simple frame and panel assembly would generally consist of five individual "components";

2 Stiles 2 Rails 1 Panel

For these 5 components you actually only need to draw 3 "components":

1 Stile(then "move/copy" & "flip" on the green or red axis for #2) 1 Rail (then "move/copy" & "flip" on the blue axis for #2) 1 Panel

Each of these three should immediately be made into "components" as they are created, and named.

Then it becomes a simple matter of doing mortises and tenons, and grooves for the panel, in one copy ONLY of the appropriate rail and stile component (which changs will be reflected in second copy created by the "move/copy" and flip operations).

Then put them together, as you would in the shop.

There is another way to do it by using the panel rectangle component as a basis, and the tape measure for guide lines for the width of your rails and stiles, and build each component off that ... but you have to make sure that you immediately make a component of each step or the surfaces will react as you mention above, and/or stick to each other.

If you want, later today I can make a video of the process and post it on youtube for you.

Let me know if you have any questions, or if this confuses the issue.

Reply to
Swingman

Thanks. I didn't give all the detail of my approach but I am using components and was simply making the panel last. I actually had some other trouble with the rail and stiles.

I made the stiles first and pushed the shape of the slot and face profile all along the long edge.

Then I made the rails and did the cope cut that is the inverse shape across the end grain.

Then when I tried to do the long cut again along the long side of the rail the profile wouldn't cut through the curved surfaces of the end cut. I am going to try and redo the rails by cutting the long side first, then doing the cope cut from the back (flat) side of the rail.

I actually have some experience with high-end 3D modelers also such as SolidWorks or > >

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

If I understand you correctly, I would draw the profile of the cut on the end of a stile, opened for edit, then use the "follow me" tool to effect the profile the length of the stile.

Might want to practice and review some of the "follow me" tool tutorials and see if that does what you want.

Caveat: I may be missing your point here. Sorry

Reply to
Swingman

If I understand you correctly, I would draw the profile of the cut on the end of a stile, opened for edit, then use the "follow me" tool to effect the profile the length of the stile.

Might want to practice and review some of the "follow me" tool tutorials and see if that does what you want.

Caveat: I may be missing your point here. Sorry

Reply to
Swingman

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

If you want, make a SU file with just the part you're trying to do (and any picture, etc) and e-mail it to the below. I can look at it later tonight and see if I can help.

< currently in the process of refining a _large_ cutlist from a set of plans and my brain is otherwise engaged/overloaded > :)
Reply to
Swingman

I did a sketchup example if you would like for me to email it to you.

Reply to
Leon