sketchup help needed

Page 2 of 2
On 2/14/2014 9:49 AM, woodchucker wrote:

One thing to remember, most everything has a solution with Sketchup. ;~)
On 2/13/2014 4:29 PM, woodchucker wrote:

Your side pieces seem to consist of a component called Full Side. This component consists of a a group that contains four objects. These are the two cylinders that are supposed to be the holes plus components named bottom1 and Clamping Side1.
The holes need to be in the components bottom1 and Clamping Side1. Instead they are outside of the components.
You can either:
A: Delete the cylinders that form the current holes. Then open for editing the components and create new holes.
or
B: There is a feature called 'Edit/Paste in Place' that is often useful for moving things from outside of a component into a component. First you select the object to be moved (in this case the cylinders that are the holes). You then use either Edit/Copy or ctrl-c to make a copy of the object. Then you open the object that you want to edit (Clamping Side1) and then you use 'Edit/Paste in Place'. This will place the copied object inside of the component.
However in your case things get confusing. You have two separate components (bottom1 and Clamp Side1) and you have to edit each one separately. Also you have to adjust the length of the holes for each component and reverse the faces and delete the surfaces which are the ends of the cylinders.
I would probably go with plan A in this case.
Dan
On 2/13/2014 10:03 PM, Dan Coby wrote:

I think I understand that. Will play with it, and see if I can come up with what Swingman came up with , using your steps. Obviously this excersize is about learning, I could easily have just built the thing quickly enough.
Thanks Dan.
--
Jeff

You can resize it with the scale tool or the offset one.
With scale you have to select all surfaces else you will wind up with a cone.
Offset just offsets the edge, not the entire hole...offset to the diameter you want, erase the old hole, push/pull the new one.
Probably simplest to just erase the old hole, draw a new one.
NP in moving as long as you select all surfaces or if the hole is a component. Again, easier if you push/pull back to a circle, do the move then push/pull to a hole again.
--

dadiOH