sketchup help needed

Page 1 of 2
2 things.
Leon, you gave me info on how to get the parts printed once b4, I lost them , how do I explode the parts in 2d mode so I can work on them.
I have a problem with my model here. I have drilled a hole through the side, in Xray mode it looks correct, but in 3d solid it does not. I did it the same way I did the top drill through, so what is going on here.
See image: http://imgur.com/cEVTMC5
--
Jeff

On 2/13/2014 11:06 AM, woodchucker wrote:

It would be easier to provide a definite answer if we had the model instead of pictures.
Are the side pieces components? If so then the 'hole' may not be part of the component. Instead it may be a cylinder which intersects the side piece but is not part of the side piece component.
Dan
On 2/13/2014 2:10 PM, Dan Coby wrote:

Can you be more specific? Are you talking about printing to scale?
>>how do I explode the parts in 2d mode so I can work on them.
If the "parts" are components and you want to explode them to make them noncomponents, simply select, right click and select explode. Once exploded you will have to make the pieces in to a component again if you want them to be component.
You can edit a component by left triple clicking the component. Or select the component and right click and choose edit component.

I assume you attempted to drill the holes through the outer and inner pieces. You will have to edit both separately.

I thought there was an easier way to have all the parts printed out so you had an easier way to print all the parts.
--
Jeff

On 2/14/2014 1:45 PM, woodchucker wrote:

One more thought, if there is no easy way to explode the whole model for parts. Is there a way in the model to duplicate all the parts in another layer or sub model or whatever so I just duplicate the parts in this model for printing them? and can control which layer I am showing?
--
Jeff

If all the parts are components you can just open the component window and stick them into your drawing as individual units. You can then select them and put them on a different layer or you could first hide everything, make your layer and then stick them into that layer via the component window. If they aren't components you are SOL, they are all stuck together.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On 2/14/2014 1:03 PM, woodchucker wrote:

I'm still not quite understanding exactly what you are trying to accomplish here. Printing all of the parts is not hard at all. Printing all of the parts large enough to see is another issue.
And Printing to scale 2D is done in a specific way.
Resizing the Sketchup window also helps when printing and you want something specific to fill the page. Have that object also fill the reshaped window.

When I want to print a specific detail or portion of the drawing I often simply select that section, copy/CTRL C, open a new blank Sketchup drawing and past. Then all of the other parts do not come into play when printing.
This for me is simpler and faster than assigning to other layers.
On 2/14/2014 1:03 PM, woodchucker wrote:

One other thing here, you keep mentioning "explode". Sketchup defines "explode" as a function that makes a component a non component or a group a non group. It does not move parts/lines away from each other if that is what you are referring to.
If you are wanting to automatically move the assembled parts/components away from each other so that they are seperated, there is a plug in that will do that. I find the plug in finicky and more trouble to deal with.
Alternatively there is a plug in that will make everything disappear in the drawing except the selected component. This is a temporary action and is reversed by running the plug in again. That is known as the Isolate/Reveal plug in.

In case anyone is interested, the Festool Owners Group has initiated a Sketchup discussion section..
Agreed, there's quite a bit of Sketchup knowledge here from people like Leon and Swingman. The FOG is also bound to have additional information. http://festoolownersgroup.com/computers-gadgets-technology/sketchup-discussions-go-in-this-board/?topicseen
And again, you can download the free version of Sketchup from here. http://www.sketchup.com/
On 2/13/2014 1:06 PM, woodchucker wrote:

It looks like you didn't use the push/pull tool far enough to break the outside faces of the block with the circle you used to push through to get the hole?
In order to get a circular hole through both sides of solid, you need to make sure you go all the way to the outside face of both sides ... just like you do with a drill. ;)
If that is not the problem, can you make the model available for download?
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 2/13/2014 6:45 PM, Swingman wrote:

Sure, I suck at sketchup. I sized those holes the wrong size. I don't see a way to resize the hole, nor do I see a way to move a drilled hole.
Man this has taken me all day practically when not shovelling or raking the roof..
This is based off Ron Walters adjuster. I used my dial indicator to move the fence the other day and it was dead on. I just want to build this thing to make life easier instead of setting up a machinists' magnet and arms.. takes too long.. I see this as a valuable tool. I was able to dial it in , in seconds.
Ron's article is : http://woodgears.ca/reader/walters/fence_micro.html
My sketchup model is at: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw2BFEFNem5mOGxTbmFuY1RPUDg/edit?usp=sharing
--
Jeff

I don't know a way to make a portable hole, either.

At least I didn't have to worry about that.

I find that if I don't completely unlock the fence to move it small amounts, it works better. IOW, leave some friction on the lock to keep the rear from moving. Also, adjust from the front, rather than behind the lock to keep from "torquing" the fence. This looks useful, though. Kinda "poor man's" Incra Fence.

On 2/13/2014 6:29 PM, woodchucker wrote:

Got it. Just a cursory review, looks like your were trying to push that circle through two different/components that were made into a larger component.
That wont work with the push pull tool unless both sub-components are in edit mode at the same time, which can't normally be done without using a Ruby script.
Let me have a shot at FIFY in the morning. What size hole?
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 2/13/2014 8:54 PM, Swingman wrote:

So quick questions, is there a way to move a drilled hole? What about resizing a hole? If instead of making the two components part of the bigger, what if I just group them. would that be more amenable to drilling a hole all the way through?
Am what I doing with 2 components that unusual that you can't easily do it?
Also I have a new copy of sketchup with a few hours of pro avail. most has already been eaten up. Anything I should look at in pro now, to make me understand what the difference is?
Thanks..
I could have built this in 3 hours rather than trying to learn sketchup. This was my best effort so far. but far from being comfortable. Most efforts have resulted in less than complete results.
--
Jeff

On 2/13/2014 8:31 PM, woodchucker wrote:

Not feeling well, have the damned flu ... but I got something to eat and went back and looked at it.
You had quite a few problems, mostly extra parts and artifacts from apparently editing outside the components, then making those artifacts part of the component.
After I cleaned those bits and pieces I used just the edge of you circles to cut, then paste-in-place in edit mode. Only took a few minutes.

You did good.
I posted the fixed version to abpw. Do you get that? Let me know if you still have problems with it. Although I don't how much longer I can hang on tonight.
If not, backchannel me at the email address below.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 2/13/2014 9:13 PM, Swingman wrote:

Took three tries, something was corrupting the file in TB? Anyway, #3 attempt on apbw downloads and opens for me.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 2/13/2014 8:31 PM, woodchucker wrote:

Yes. Open the component/group with the hole in edit mode|double click on the inside face of the hole|when only the hole is highlighted all the way from one side to the other, including the edges| use the Move tool and move it where you want.

Not that I am aware, without using a Ruby Script.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 2/13/2014 10:30 PM, Swingman wrote:

Thanks, I got it. Feel better. When you are feeling better, would like to know how you drilled through both components.
Thanks again.
--
Jeff

On 2/13/2014 10:12 PM, woodchucker wrote:

Makes it easier if you "hide" everything but the component you want to work on. There is a plugin that makes this easier:
http://extensions.sketchup.com/en/content/select-n-isolate
Then I simply drew a circle of the desired radius on the surface of your component; hit Edit/Cut; then opened the component in Edit mode, hit Edit/Paste-in-place; and while the component was still in Edit mode, used the push/pull tool to complete the hole.
Besides the above method of drawing a circle with the desired radius on the surface of a component/group in edit mode ... and using the push/pull tool to make the hole ... you can also make a cylindrical component of the desired radius and size, push it through the component you want to make the hole in, then use "intersect faces", then remove the cylindrical component from the component you want the hole in, leaving just the hole.
This method is particularly handy when you need to "drill" angled holes in a model, and/or in a model with a curved surface that you could not normally draw or paste a circle onto.
A few years back I make a quick tutorial .skp file for one of the wRec posters on how to do this.
Just re-posted it again to apbw.
Either manually click through the Scenes in the tutorial, or use Animation|Play.
Let me know if it doesn't work for you
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 2/14/2014 8:40 AM, Swingman wrote:

Thanks. I'm investing time in this. I'm liking the ability to troubleshoot the sizes ahead of time. When I started I was guessing at sizes. When I went and measured, it was pretty quick to adjust, except re-centering the holes, or re-centering the pillow blocks... they didn't recenter.
--
Jeff