sketchup help needed

2 things.

Leon, you gave me info on how to get the parts printed once b4, I lost them , how do I explode the parts in 2d mode so I can work on them.

I have a problem with my model here. I have drilled a hole through the side, in Xray mode it looks correct, but in 3d solid it does not. I did it the same way I did the top drill through, so what is going on here.

See image:

woodchucker

It would be easier to provide a definite answer if we had the model instead of pictures.

Are the side pieces components? If so then the 'hole' may not be part of the component. Instead it may be a cylinder which intersects the side piece but is not part of the side piece component.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Coby

Can you be more specific? Are you talking about printing to scale?

If the "parts" are components and you want to explode them to make them noncomponents, simply select, right click and select explode. Once exploded you will have to make the pieces in to a component again if you want them to be component.

You can edit a component by left triple clicking the component. Or select the component and right click and choose edit component.

I assume you attempted to drill the holes through the outer and inner pieces. You will have to edit both separately.

Reply to
Leon

It looks like you didn't use the push/pull tool far enough to break the outside faces of the block with the circle you used to push through to get the hole?

In order to get a circular hole through both sides of solid, you need to make sure you go all the way to the outside face of both sides ... just like you do with a drill. ;)

If that is not the problem, can you make the model available for download?

Reply to
Swingman

Sure, I suck at sketchup. I sized those holes the wrong size. I don't see a way to resize the hole, nor do I see a way to move a drilled hole.

Man this has taken me all day practically when not shovelling or raking the roof..

This is based off Ron Walters adjuster. I used my dial indicator to move the fence the other day and it was dead on. I just want to build this thing to make life easier instead of setting up a machinists' magnet and arms.. takes too long.. I see this as a valuable tool. I was able to dial it in , in seconds.

Ron's article is :

My sketchup model is at:

woodchucker

I don't know a way to make a portable hole, either.

At least I didn't have to worry about that.

I find that if I don't completely unlock the fence to move it small amounts, it works better. IOW, leave some friction on the lock to keep the rear from moving. Also, adjust from the front, rather than behind the lock to keep from "torquing" the fence. This looks useful, though. Kinda "poor man's" Incra Fence.

Reply to
krw

Got it. Just a cursory review, looks like your were trying to push that circle through two different/components that were made into a larger component.

That wont work with the push pull tool unless both sub-components are in edit mode at the same time, which can't normally be done without using a Ruby script.

Let me have a shot at FIFY in the morning. What size hole?

Reply to
Swingman

So quick questions, is there a way to move a drilled hole? What about resizing a hole? If instead of making the two components part of the bigger, what if I just group them. would that be more amenable to drilling a hole all the way through?

Am what I doing with 2 components that unusual that you can't easily do it?

Also I have a new copy of sketchup with a few hours of pro avail. most has already been eaten up. Anything I should look at in pro now, to make me understand what the difference is?

Thanks..

I could have built this in 3 hours rather than trying to learn sketchup. This was my best effort so far. but far from being comfortable. Most efforts have resulted in less than complete results.

Reply to
woodchucker

Your side pieces seem to consist of a component called Full Side. This component consists of a a group that contains four objects. These are the two cylinders that are supposed to be the holes plus components named bottom1 and Clamping Side1.

The holes need to be in the components bottom1 and Clamping Side1. Instead they are outside of the components.

You can either:

A: Delete the cylinders that form the current holes. Then open for editing the components and create new holes.

or

B: There is a feature called 'Edit/Paste in Place' that is often useful for moving things from outside of a component into a component. First you select the object to be moved (in this case the cylinders that are the holes). You then use either Edit/Copy or ctrl-c to make a copy of the object. Then you open the object that you want to edit (Clamping Side1) and then you use 'Edit/Paste in Place'. This will place the copied object inside of the component.

However in your case things get confusing. You have two separate components (bottom1 and Clamp Side1) and you have to edit each one separately. Also you have to adjust the length of the holes for each component and reverse the faces and delete the surfaces which are the ends of the cylinders.

I would probably go with plan A in this case.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Coby

Not feeling well, have the damned flu ... but I got something to eat and went back and looked at it.

You had quite a few problems, mostly extra parts and artifacts from apparently editing outside the components, then making those artifacts part of the component.

After I cleaned those bits and pieces I used just the edge of you circles to cut, then paste-in-place in edit mode. Only took a few minutes.

You did good.

I posted the fixed version to abpw. Do you get that? Let me know if you still have problems with it. Although I don't how much longer I can hang on tonight.

If not, backchannel me at the email address below.

Reply to
Swingman

Took three tries, something was corrupting the file in TB? Anyway, #3 attempt on apbw downloads and opens for me.

Reply to
Swingman

Yes. Open the component/group with the hole in edit mode|double click on the inside face of the hole|when only the hole is highlighted all the way from one side to the other, including the edges| use the Move tool and move it where you want.

Not that I am aware, without using a Ruby Script.

Reply to
Swingman

Thanks, I got it. Feel better. When you are feeling better, would like to know how you drilled through both components.

Thanks again.

Reply to
woodchucker

I think I understand that. Will play with it, and see if I can come up with what Swingman came up with , using your steps. Obviously this excersize is about learning, I could easily have just built the thing quickly enough.

Thanks Dan.

Reply to
woodchucker

Makes it easier if you "hide" everything but the component you want to work on. There is a plugin that makes this easier:

Then I simply drew a circle of the desired radius on the surface of your component; hit Edit/Cut; then opened the component in Edit mode, hit Edit/Paste-in-place; and while the component was still in Edit mode, used the push/pull tool to complete the hole.

Besides the above method of drawing a circle with the desired radius on the surface of a component/group in edit mode ... and using the push/pull tool to make the hole ... you can also make a cylindrical component of the desired radius and size, push it through the component you want to make the hole in, then use "intersect faces", then remove the cylindrical component from the component you want the hole in, leaving just the hole.

This method is particularly handy when you need to "drill" angled holes in a model, and/or in a model with a curved surface that you could not normally draw or paste a circle onto.

A few years back I make a quick tutorial .skp file for one of the wRec posters on how to do this.

Just re-posted it again to apbw.

Either manually click through the Scenes in the tutorial, or use Animation|Play.

Let me know if it doesn't work for you

Reply to
Swingman

Thanks. I'm investing time in this. I'm liking the ability to troubleshoot the sizes ahead of time. When I started I was guessing at sizes. When I went and measured, it was pretty quick to adjust, except re-centering the holes, or re-centering the pillow blocks... they didn't recenter.

Reply to
woodchucker

You can resize it with the scale tool or the offset one.

With scale you have to select all surfaces else you will wind up with a cone.

Offset just offsets the edge, not the entire hole...offset to the diameter you want, erase the old hole, push/pull the new one.

Probably simplest to just erase the old hole, draw a new one.

NP in moving as long as you select all surfaces or if the hole is a component. Again, easier if you push/pull back to a circle, do the move then push/pull to a hole again.

Reply to
dadiOH

I thought there was an easier way to have all the parts printed out so you had an easier way to print all the parts.

Reply to
woodchucker

One more thought, if there is no easy way to explode the whole model for parts. Is there a way in the model to duplicate all the parts in another layer or sub model or whatever so I just duplicate the parts in this model for printing them? and can control which layer I am showing?

Reply to
woodchucker

If all the parts are components you can just open the component window and stick them into your drawing as individual units. You can then select them and put them on a different layer or you could first hide everything, make your layer and then stick them into that layer via the component window. If they aren't components you are SOL, they are all stuck together.

Reply to
dadiOH