Sketchup help

Page 3 of 4
On 1/16/2013 10:02 AM, Bill wrote:

Doing a scale with the Scale Tool with a factor of -1, twice to the same component, and you end up with a component the same as the original with which you started ... except it is now twice the distance further along the axis you scaled on, as the width of the component. :)
Here, you may find this helpful ...(be sure to look at the other definition option links to the left of the main paragraph):
http://support.google.com/sketchup/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer 906&topic$58207&ctx=topic
Keep in mind that "Flip Along", in the context menu when you right click on an object, is another easy way to flip/mirror geometry, except that you must keep in mind the AXIS upon which you want to flip, when using that feature.
Many folks prefer to use Scale Tool|-1, so they don't have to trial and error to get the same results with the Flip Along feature. :)
Personally, I prefer to use "Flip Along" for most instances, like with rails and legs with mortises in them, etc.
YMMV ...
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Swingman wrote:

http://support.google.com/sketchup/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer 906&topic$58207&ctx=topic

I never tried Flip Along. It's looks really handy for everyone designing symetrical projects.
For all the new users reading, it should be pointed out that you can do a LOT with just a few basic SU features.

Ok , short cut hint. Thank god for CTRL Z. :-)
Move. M Copy M CTRL. Copy more than once. M CTRL distance, enter, 2,3,4...times, enter

IMHO the more short keys that you can use the easier the program is to operate. IIRC some where in the Help there is an explanation on how to get a list of all the short cuts.
Also you can make your own or change existing short cuts.
On 1/17/2013 7:55 AM, Leon wrote:

Window|Preference\Shortcuts
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 1/17/2013 9:22 AM, Swingman wrote:

AND
http://download.trimble.com/sketchup/gsu8/docs/en/sketchup8refcardwin.pdf?Expires 58437315&Signature=ZL4Ig-IwYDF-VM9WuDy0a1NAAet~ZI-2SaQDTMSRv6EUV2sL4nUi7RTatuVtlImVn2kEfaGY~pNvjQUHZWj1p7Mn-LSW3k3Lh~8DR39osqsNSePgWwmTxZBAfEQTCK3frX31cxlGJSp5kCkviqgjpZlo6NZrXTQqVvFoBsfuoj0_&Key-Pair-Id=APKAITRMO3ODNM6MFOEA
On 1/17/2013 9:42 AM, Leon wrote:

http://download.trimble.com/sketchup/gsu8/docs/en/sketchup8refcardwin.pdf?Expires 58437315&Signature=ZL4Ig-IwYDF-VM9WuDy0a1NAAet~ZI-2SaQDTMSRv6EUV2sL4nUi7RTatuVtlImVn2kEfaGY~pNvjQUHZWj1p7Mn-LSW3k3Lh~8DR39osqsNSePgWwmTxZBAfEQTCK3frX31cxlGJSp5kCkviqgjpZlo6NZrXTQqVvFoBsfuoj0_&Key-Pair-Id=APKAITRMO3ODNM6MFOEA
Well try this
http://support.google.com/sketchup/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer 6693
On 1/17/2013 9:43 AM, Leon wrote:

LOL ...
I'm one of those who have never used a single keyboard short cut with Sketchup ... when modeling I have both hands full with the mouse in right hand, and flying the helicopter with the SpaceNavigator in the left.
There are two short cut buttons on the SpaceNavigator that can be programmed, but I left them on the default Zoom Extent and Device Settings.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 1/17/2013 10:03 AM, Swingman wrote:

I don't care for having to move the cursor all over the screen. There are darn few tools that I often use that I don't have a short cut for. Although I use the mouse for choosing and applying materials.
Is there actually a select icon?
Well yes there is!! LOL

To go a bit further with this, tools/commands that I use that do not have an icon to implement.
I have a CTRL D for giving me all dimensions of an object.
G to make a component.
And probably a few others that I am at a complete loss right now. ;~)
On 1/17/2013 4:57 PM, Leon wrote:

Now, you got to the root of the issue ... remembering what those damn keystroke shortcuts are. Gets more problematic with age, even for you young pups. ;~)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 1/17/2013 5:38 PM, Swingman wrote:

Oddly I know what they are when I need them, GPS. ;~) I just don't know which ones are only shortcuts and which one are icons and short cuts.
On 1/17/2013 11:18 PM, Leon wrote:

All I get is "Recalculating". ;)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Mike, let me tell you a secret.. I start every one of my drawings with the same drawing. The name of that drawing/file is 1Start.skp and it is write protected so that I don't accidentally delete it. This drawing is nothing more than hints and reminders of things that I don't use often and that I sometimes have trouble remembering. It may just be a short note or a simple illustration to serve as a reminder. I see the hints every time I start a new drawing by beginning with this file. Basically I can't misplace my hints and notes.
When I open that drawing/ file I select everything, hit delete, and begin my actual drawing and save as another unique file name.
On 1/15/2013 11:06 PM, Leon wrote:

Alternately, you can save that file as a Template, with components and text, and you can either set it as default to open every time just by opening SU, or chose it from Window|Preference.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 1/8/2013 9:11 AM, Swingman wrote: ...

Oh, now that makes sense. My previous excursions into SU had been so frustrating had just punted even trying anything else w/ it.
Mayhaps I might try again w/ a different idea on how to approach it altho I'm still pretty much a "few sketches on a piece o' paper, then go work it out" kinda' guy...then again, I've quit doing big, complex stuff that has to fit a hundred thousand pieces together, too, in favor of smaller stuff can get done in a few days at the outside given that farming is now the prime activity that requires first dibs...
The time at which was doing so much of the architectural work in Lynchburg predated the PC time frame by a sizable number of years so it was a _lot_ of boardwork there. I don't know what the Colonial's used in Williamsburg, say...altho come to think of it I don't recall ever seeing any _original_ working drawings on any of the visits there. Lots of later-made from the existing work, but not original (at least that I've seen--maybe they're too rare to ever be on display, dunno...).

I'll take a look for it. Once I add a plugin to the plugin directory I forget about it. Let me take a look for it. I probably got it from smustard.
On 1/7/2013 9:33 PM, Leon wrote:

OK this refers to the plugin, Get Dimensions. This link however has a plugin tool bar with a tool that serves the same basic function. I have not tired it yet but will shortly.
That said the one I am using is getdimensions.rb .
I could not find a link to it but I could email the file to you if you wish. Or try out the on in the link, it is probably better.
The getdimensions does not have an icon but shows up in the Plugins drop down menu. I assigned a short cut key to access it using CTRL D.
I assigned D to start the Dimension command, it think,,, maybe it was already a short cut.
Might have been nice had I provided the link.....
http://www.srww.com/blog/?p 36
On 1/7/2013 5:04 PM, Artemus wrote:

Solution:
Double click on the component|Hit Edit|Select the offending dimension|Choose Edit/Cut|
Close the editing of the component (just use Select tool somewhere on the background)
Then choose Edit/Paste In Place
Now your dimension will no longer be a part of your component, but will still be in the proper location.
As you've noticed, making your dimensions part of your components is a bad idea.
Ideally you want all dimension on a "Layer" of their own (and then assigning said Layer to a "Scene"), but that will come after you get a bit more proficiency with the program.