Sketchup help

Hard to beat this definition, so I'll post the link rather than trying to paraphrase it:
http://www.sketchuptutorials.net/2011/10/26/sketchup-glossary-groups-versus-components /
Basically "Groups" are useful to logically group a single collection of individual geometry, like assembling six faces into a box, a brick, etc.
A "Component" is appropriate when you want to reuse the exact same component/collection of individual geometry, multiple times (studs, beams, stiles, rails, etc.)
Components can also attach themselves automatically to other geometry (faces, horizontal faces only, etc) and they can also be easily stored and reused in other files.
The difference can also be an important factor in file size and performance of the model and computer:
With "groups", each copy of a group added to the model is stored in the model, thus multiple copies of a "group" add to the file size.
With "components", there is only one of each unique component stored in the model, all copies of that component inserted in a model are simply an instance of that one stored component.
NOTE: as stated previously in another thread ... it is well to note that the use of multiple "nested" components in a model can indeed slow SketchUp's performance ... regardless of file size.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

But then if you cut a stud, it cuts them all. ;-/ That's the way I was using them, then found that I was "making separate" every one anyway.

That's an area that I'm totally lost; reuse. I just make "components" their own files and import them. There has to be a better way to make a "library" of components.

I see that. The same deal if components are made separate.

I see that, too. This brings up another point. Of what use is the "name" of the component? Can it be edited?

It sure makes work easier if one can hide them while working elsewhere, though. I always like to work in a hierarchy, if possible. Unfortunately, it looks like only about half of what's needed to make the hierarchy really work is in there. ...or at least tripped across, yet. ;-)
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Do you mean "Make Unique"--that will allow you to change the properties of only a partticular instance of a component.
On 1/15/2013 5:29 PM, Bill wrote:

+1
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Yeah, that's the one. I'm sorta out of practice (my shop is still packed).

Not necessarily, right click on the one component that you want to change differently than others, and select "Make Unique".
You can then change that one without changing the other like components.

3D warehouse is a vast library of millions of components:
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse /

Nope ... there is only one single instance of each unique component in SketchUp file ... all "copies" of that component are 'inserted instances' of that unique component, and as such, are not stored in the file as a copy, and therefore do not add to the file size.

Sure ... right click|Entity Info|Double click "Definition Name" and change away.

In a word, "Layers" ... learn to use layers effectively and you will find that everything that is needed is already there. :)
A word of caution with layers ... until you are absolutely proficient with all aspects of the program, and I do meant obtain 'expert' status, ONLY do your modeling on Layer0!!
This is extremely important because geometry hidden and/or geometry/ elements/artifacts/ assigned to unseen layers can cause you all kinds of grief when drawing and assembling models.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Right. Now you have two components. That takes more storage, no? No better than two groups?

Right. I want that on my disk.

Right, but once you make one "unique" doesn't that make it a new component? ....
....Hmm, after trying it again, perhaps not.

Cool. Now what good is it?

I've run into "Layers". It hurt.

Well, that's where I am. ;-) I'll soon be back at it, though.

Hmm, one day I'll understand what you just said. ;-) Are you saying that it's easy to get multiple objects living in the same space? ...or something more sinister?

Something else to play with. Often you need mirror images of a component, some times mirror images of the mirror images. Copy the component, scale it with a factor of "-1" and you get a mirror image without having to copy and rotate. Now if you edit the original all mirrored copies update as a mirror image also.
Foe example drawer sides. Draw one and copy then scale the opposite side. If you add a groove for a bottom or rabbet on the end the scale copy gets the changes where you want them also.

Ok, but can you scale with a factor of -1 in one dimension only? If your groove doesn't go through, does it get it end up still in the "back", say. IOW, if your drawer slide stops 2" short of the drawer front, does the groove now stop 2" short of the drawer back, on the top instead of the bottom (after flipping)?
snipped-for-privacy@attt.bizz wrote:

Maybe you should try it, and tell us? It would just be a 10 minutelearning-experiment, right? To be honest, some of my attempts at using this feature have not been successes(in those case, I've given-in and worked around it). Ithink I'm getting closer to "getting it", butI am not at a level to dispense advice. IIRC,I assessed my SU-Rating as 2 out of 10. : )
Cheers, Bill

Select the component and then click in the scale icon. You will see small cubes form around the edges and corners and middle ff the sides. Grab the cube in the middle of a side and drag it towards the center to indicate the direction that you want to reverse the component. Then enter "-1". Now everything changed on that component will show up as a mirror image on the other component, either one.
If your drawer side grove stops 2" short of the back the scaled component side will also have that grove stopped 2" Short. You literally get a mirror copy.
You can scale in any direction, you can do the same for the front and back of the drawer. It all depends on which cube you grab/ click on and drag. Experiment with it. I never draw opposite sided components, I copy and scale. Now if you need to add a little extra to the scaled copy or the original, right click, make unique, and make your modifications. The mirroring will not continue from that point.

Yes. Another handy scale feature is that you can hold down CTRL while scaling and just scale from the center of the geometry.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 1/16/2013 7:34 AM, Swingman wrote:

Damn ... meant to add to the above before posting that if want to scale "uniformly" (all parts maintain their relative size), hold down the SHIFT key while using the scale tool.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Hummmmmmm I scale uniform often but I don't think I hold any thing down. IIRC I just select the component, click scale, and type a number. I'll have to revisit that.
On 1/16/2013 7:57 AM, Leon wrote:

Try that with a non-dynamic component, like a chair or table and you will find that the parts, not on that axis, distort/don't scale uniformly ... unless of course it is a mirror with the -1 scale factor.
With dynamic components, the programmer can hide the scaling arrows only on the axis he wants to allow scaling, say in the width of a cabinet, and then program all the components that make up the cabinet to scale appropriately with whatever scale the user chooses.
If you have one of my kitchen cabinet dynamic components, try scaling one and see.
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/cldetails?mid d50f7b9ee7ac65b2c2cd006d206129&prevstart=0
In short, if you want a totally uniform scaling of an object, that is not a dynamic component, and in all axis, hold the CTRL key down while scaling and all parts will scale and end up the same relative size.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 1/16/2013 7:57 AM, Leon wrote:

OK I was FOS. I just tried what I said above and nothing happens. I must be doing this scaling with out thinking. I scaled those big airplanes without really thinking. Perhaps they were dynamic components.

I have not done that. Holding the control key limits your choices to the centers?
On 1/16/2013 7:52 AM, Leon wrote:

Holding down the CTRL key forces the scaling "from" the center of the model/geometry you're scaling.
Try it ...
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 1/16/2013 7:54 AM, Swingman wrote:

Also, another neat trick ... if you want to flip your model upside down on the blue axis with the scale tool, instead of on the red axis as you described when mirroring:
hold the SHIFT key, start your scale, then enter -1
I don't think that one is documented, but I found it when screwing around a few years back. :)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Swingman wrote:

How come if you scale a cube (or similar) with a factor of -1 overand over, it will just "mosey on down the road"? I mean, in general, what does this operation do to the figure and/or its position (besides "mosey it" ; ) )?