Sketchup help

Page 1 of 4
This is probably really basic but I'm stuck. I've added the CutList plugin to SU and can't figure out how to get CL to recognize that I'm using sheet goods. I know it expects each components material to have sheet/mdf/etc in the name - but how do I assign a material to a component? Art
On 1/5/2013 6:57 PM, Artemus wrote:

Assign a material to a component by "painting" it with a material. select the material, click the little paint bucket and click on the component. Then rename the material, panel, plywood, sheet, etc, the suggested name by the plug in program. You could rename the material oak plywood for instance. You can have several different materials in a drawing.
FWIW you can use the cutlist plug in to generate a file to import components into CutList Plus also.

That did it! Thanks. Any idea why some of my components are showing up in CL with the wrong thickness? All other dimensions seem to be correct. All components are aligned orthogonal with the axis. Art

How far off are the dimension thicknesses? I can tell you that if planes are not parallel, although they might appear to be, they will be imported at the larger dimension. For instance if a 3/4" thick panel is accidentally drawn thicker on one end say 13/16" it will be imported at that thickness. The thickness might be fine on one end but not the other and may be hard to notice visually.
Sometimes the cure is to delete the suspect component and try importing again.

A bit more here.. For 6 sided components, a typical piece of wood or panel, draw a single surface with 4 lines. Give it thickness using the push/pull tool. Still better is to use the rectangle tool to form a side and then use the push/pull tool to add the other 5 sides to the object. These steps speed drawing and help to insure that opposite side/planes are parallel. Lastly use your mouse to begin lines, rectangles, and to push or pull and then type in the exact distance.

The offending parts are 6 sided and I created them as you suggest.
After playing around I discovered that if dimension lines (not sure if that is the right name for the arrows and number that show length) are part of the component and not on the face(i.e. perpendicular to it), then the distance it stands off the face will be added to the thickness of the panel by CL. Art

That is probably correct. The import takes the entire component into consideration. The dimension lines should be added after the object is made into a component and not be a part of a component. I like to also add dimensions on their own layer so that I can hide them. And yes the lines with arrows are dimension lines, the lines that associate a dimension line to the object typically at a 90 degree angle at each arrow are dimension extension lines.
I have a handy plug- in that lets me select a component on the drawing and running the plug -in brings a pop up window that tells me all dimensions of the component. Handy to verify dimensions with out having to actually dimension the component.
On 1/7/2013 5:40 PM, Leon wrote:

When I hit reply, your reply was not yet there. You must of walked out of the shop the same time I did. :)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

My shop is closer,
On 1/7/2013 9:33 PM, Leon wrote:

Yep ... 20' door to door, through ice, snow and uphill both ways.. LOL
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 1/8/2013 8:55 AM, Swingman wrote:

And coons! don't for get the coons.

Sounds like I need to get up to speed on layers. Do you have a link to that handy plugin? Art

http://support.google.com/sketchup/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer8572
https://sites.google.com/site/sketchupsage/faster/layers
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Your so far ahead of me. 8-) I'm still back on the tutorials trying to get the basics down.
Mike M
On 1/8/2013 1:34 AM, Mike M wrote:

Have heart ... you really only need to know about 30%, or less, of SU's capability in order to fully utilize the program for woodworking projects.
Many folks simply miss the reality of learning software that can increase your productivity, thinking that you have to become a proverbial "expert" with the software to get any benefit.
That is simply not true ... all your need to do to is master those elements that allow you to use the software to suit your particular needs.
Just learn to draw the damned parts to your project individually ... a woodworking project is mostly nothing more than a collection of simply "boards", after all.
That perceived "uphill battle" is not nearly as challenging ... IOW, learn to draw a damned tubafour and you're 90% there. :)
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 1/8/2013 9:11 AM, Swingman wrote:

To add to what Swingman is saying about drawing the parts, typical 2D CAD is not much different than drawing with paper and pencil. Nothing is going to be separated and moved around so it does not matter if incomplete components of the drawings are attached to other incomplete components of a drawing.
With Sketchup all parts are going to stick together until you make a group of lines into a component/part of the project. Once those lines are made into a component nothing sticks to them any more. If other lines touch the component and you move the component the other lines do not move or stretch with the component. But until you make a group of lines into a component all lines will move and or stretch with other attached lines.

Understand what your saying & it was that way with Autocadd, I learned how to do what I needed for doing electrical plans and never was an expert. I'm still under the 30%. I'm just getting comfortable with the 3D aspect of drawing and use of the most common drawing tools. I'm slowly moving forward but at least the frustratiion is still very low.
Mike M
On 1/8/2013 12:52 PM, Mike M wrote:

Two most frustrating things in SU:
~ When things you draw stick together ... solution: make sure you make everything you draw either a "component" or "group" _before_ you draw something else that touches it.
~ Moving one component/group from a different part of the screen to place it against another component/group ... solution: when you find out, let me know too! ;)
<just kidding>
Although the latter does often bite most of in the butt, even with a lot of experience, there is a feature in SU know as the "inference" engine, which can be a big help when trying to join components/groups drawn on a different plane/axis. Locking (constraint) this inference with a keystroke can often help when moving objects around:
http://support.google.com/sketchup/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answerp142
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

I have used the inference feature in one tutorial and it does save having to zoom in to see where you actually are. I know me well enough to know that if I start jumping into far I'll get frustrated and stop. I just keep putting one foot in front of the other. Now if I could just find my cadd drawing of where to dig to pump the septic tank. I've got a backhoe but would prefer to hand dig as it's not more then a foot beneath grade, and well S*** happens if applying to big a tool.
Mike M

OK, now I gotta ask...
I've been using SU for some time and am reasonably proficient (>30% mark). What is the difference between a component and a group? ISTM that they're two (different) ways of doing exactly the same thing. When would I use one over the other?