sketchup help

Sometimes (many tinmes or even most times) when I go to use the push pull or follow me tool, I can't select the syrface I want. I move the mouse over the face but it won't highlight. If I try to select anyway it will pick some face, usually on the far side. I have to keep zooming and rotating around and moving the mouse all over the face before it will finally highlight the correct face.

Am I just crazy or is there some trick or what?

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

I suspect that you are trying to push/pull something which is not really a "face"--a connected sequence of edges. My fix for this problem is to resketch boundary of the face. Of course, I am not an expert.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

On Tue, 11 May 2010 16:27:09 -0700 (PDT), "SonomaProducts.com" wrote the following:

'Nother newbie to SU here. I've found the same thing. It usually indicated that there were other close surfaces which were being selected. Zooming in helped me in that case.

I received the super-cheap Missing Manual today but haven't had time to even open the cover yet. I may come up for air on Friday-Sunday, as I'm taking those days off to decompress. Being busy is a mixed blessing. I have cuts all over my forearms from taking out 3 huge pampas grass clusters today.

-- You will find that the mere resolve not to be useless, and the honest desire to help other people, will, in the quickest and delicatest ways, improve yourself. -- John Ruskin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

My dogs used to climb up into one that we had many years ago. Buggers would sleep up there until dinner.

How do you know you got it all?

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Sounds like a graphic systems issue, but insure the following before getting into that:

Is this behavior with a part that has been made into a component or group? If so, you have to double click on the component/group, or right click and chose edit from the context menu to get the part into edit mode.

If not, insure that you indeed have created a "face" to select and that it is in "edit" mode, as above.

As noted first above, it is highly likely that this could be a driver issue with your graphics system. Be aware that 100% compatiblity with OpenGL is an absolutely requirement for SU. You need to determine if your graphics card/system is indeed 100% compatible with OpenGL, and update with the latest drivers in any case.

Here is something to check in that regard:

  1. In SketchUp, open the "Window" menu.
  2. Click "Preferences."
  3. Click "OpenGL."
  4. In the "Acceleration" section, select the "Correct reversed picking driver bug" option. 5. Click "OK."

You might also try different hardware acceleration parameters in the same menu, as well as disabling hardware acceleration. In case none of this solves the issue, here are some tech notes that may help troubleshooting:

Swingman

On Tue, 11 May 2010 23:42:42 -0700, "Lobby Dosser" wrote the following:

I should have said "welted-up teeny scratches" instead of cuts. There wasn't much blood showing, but my forearms are werry sore this morn.

Animals have thicker skin than we do.

Egad! How pervasive are small rootlets at the 1' depth?

-- You will find that the mere resolve not to be useless, and the honest desire to help other people, will, in the quickest and delicatest ways, improve yourself. -- John Ruskin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

If you went a foot deep, you're probably ok. But how about the seeds, did you pick up all the seeds?

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

I haven't had that problem, ever. When you solve it will you post, as this is interesting. Thanks

Reply to
gray asphalt

On Wed, 12 May 2010 16:07:22 -0700, "Lobby Dosser" wrote the following:

Pompous grazz gotsk seeds? Aw, shucks. They'll just have to deal with it if it comes up, I guess. I'll take over a jug of Roundup and an eyedropper. Ackshully, I found something better. Green Light puts out COM-PLEET, a 41% glyphosate solution for half the Monsanto extortional price. A quart makes 21 gallons, and it appears to work well in 3 of the 4 places I tried it. Grass in the one area it didn't kill off entirely was a foot tall. Then my brass tip lost itself while I was cleaning the unit. It just flat disappeared. I'm certain the larger ants carried it off because of my deforestation of their home areas.

-- You will find that the mere resolve not to be useless, and the honest desire to help other people, will, in the quickest and delicatest ways, improve yourself. -- John Ruskin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

They'll be pounding it into ploughshares ...

Reply to
Lobby Dosser