Sketchup grief

Page 3 of 3

It's not a graphics driver issue. Drivers abort with blue screens, not application aborts. All the same, the graphics drivers were updated recently, just a few weeks ago, to support additional CUDA and PhysX features. There are no other issues of any kind with any other application.
The SU website is a little odd. It doesn't list the version number or date of the latest update. I did check, but didn't find a version number, so I didn't update. As far as I could tell, it's the same version I already have.
No worries. I got the job done some other way. It was just as well. I wanted to see if SW can unroll a lofted, developed surface to a flat shape. I'm building a 14 ft. lap straked sailboat this summer, and wanted to preview the planking. It works well enough for simple shapes. If you're interested in such things.

It would be interesting to try the same thing on another computer with the same file.

Or, you might take a look at the 'system event log' and the 'applications log' both of which are viewed with the event viewer, usually located under 'administrative tools' on the program menu. Usually catastrophic errors are prefaced by a RED ICON and convey the error message to someone who has actually diagnosed a computer before. Your computer buddy wouldn't likely need or understand the info as it sounds like he is a "shotgunner" who simply makes a guess and then replaces parts until it works again. My educated (ha!) guess would be software related, more than likely downlevel or missing OS modules (dll's). I was always better with a rifle, however. regards, Joe.

Further proof that computers are no damned good!
(Quote an IT management friend of mine)
RonB