wrote in message

I was taking a nap.
Had to sleep on it huh? LOL

"doodle'
THIS is a Doodle. http://retrieverman.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/smooth-faced-golden-doodle.jpg?w=356&h=445

"doodle'
THIS is a Doodle. http://retrieverman.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/smooth-faced-golden-doodle.jpg?w56&hD5
Hey that looks like a Dandy Doodle. ;~)

Since it matters to the discussion, it's an Nvidia 8800 GTS with up to date drivers. The box is a quad 2.8 GHz, 2 GB, and 2.4 TB (that's TeraBytes) of local storage. Very few boxes are bigger or faster. Without getting into words like "denial", in response to "least likely", I'll just point out that SU is tiny and trivial compared to other applications that run without difficulty for as much as 16 hours a day, each day. I know quite a bit about software and failures. It's an absolute certainty that the fault lies in SU alone.
Anyway... I really didn't expect discussion. I was just pissed enough to share my momentary frustration with you (and a few others here) publicly. ;)
PS: I tried it again just now, and had no problems. The best I can figure is the crash is related to the Space Navigator puck, whether directly in its interface modules to SU, or in SU as a result of the more "vigorous" panning, zooming, and rotation. It didn't crash using only the mouse to scroll and zoom.

Ok, I am not trying to put down your machine. although 2.3 TB does not help one way or another. While 2.8GHz is not slow, my 6 year old Dell runs at 2.6. Yes you have a quad but SU only uses "1" processor so it really does not perform any better on quad than a duo or single. Your RAM is what SU actually recomends.
I am only trying to help out.
But any way, ;~) I had no problems using my computer to do what you were describing so there has to be something unique about your set up that may be upsetting the apple cart. Big and Bad does not insure that every thing plays well together with all applications. Yes you have no other problem with any other applications but now you have an application that is not working correctly. Applications running long periods with out a problem is what I expect. Many of my applocations run for days on end and I have a hard drive that has not been turned off since late September. I'll take your word that you know quite a bit about software and failures. I seriousely doubt that the fault lies in SU alone but you may have found the bug that no one has run across and reported here. I personally am pretty quick to find bugs in software. I don't know if that is a good thing or not but I have received quite a few relatively expensive pieces of software for free with no time limits for pointing out numerous bugs right after they had been beta tested and released for sale.

Again I was only trying to help but your opening lines sounded to me like you were looking for answers.

Cool! How is that thing working out for you discounting today's adventure. I mave been considering one per your recomendation however I wonder if I would gain much versitility from it. I only use thum style track balls and I get around SU and AutoCAD pretty quickly and effortlessly already. If I were using a mouse I would probably already own the Space Navigator.
No come to think of it I have had s strange situation pop up now and then using SU, have you seen this happen? Occasionallay when zooming or panning part om my drawing will disappear like I cut a section away. Rotating, panning or zooming will not correct the problem. The permanent correction is to zoom extents and then go back to where I was when part of the drawing diasppeared.

Don't let my misadventure put you off it. I was skeptical as well, and bought the first one for my wife. She stole it back after a few days and I had to get my own. It's extremely easy to, for example, fly through the little gaps and check the drawer runner clearance. It's the ideal interface for Google Earth, and works really well with 3D applications in general. I don't find it so useful for 2D apps like Acrobat or Photoshop, where you usually want the zoom level to remain constant. But I do like the fast easy pan and zoom to view photos and jpgs.

No. Never had that happen that I noticed. I sometimes find myself inside the object, or "zoomed" through to the other side, but haven't had it sectioned. It might be clipping at the view frustrum if your view angle is set too wide or the near clipping plane set too far. I would look like it was sectioned, but without the interior showing.

drawing
That sounds like a video card problem or related to the image not being refreshed properly. It might be a SU problem, but it's more likely video related.
wrote in message

It is really something that I have noticed and it only happens occasionally. "1" click resolves the problem. I don't think it is a refresh problem as it happens when panning real time.

Panning is still the video card refreshing fast enough that it looks like smooth motion. You might consider finding out if there's an updated driver available for your video card. Worst case scenario, if there is an updated version available and you don't like it for some reason, you can uninstall it and reinstall the original one.

I'm hardly defensive about the machine. Happiness is knowing you don't have to check the minimum requirements.
I see 2 "hot" threads running in SU, but they seem to be tied in lock step, and never consume more than 25% CPU combined (100% of 1 core). The hot one is in SU proper. The other is in the Nvidia driver. This makes sense for the graphics thread.
One socket opened and then closed to iw-in-f147.google.com on port 80. Might be to check for updates, but it didn't prompt me to do so.

Forgetting about SU in particular, imagine you had a product manager who explains away why his product fails in use that way. At best, it explains why he has difficulty tracking it down and killing it, but he'd better have an active plan for doing so. I'm unlikely to do their debugging for them.

I use a trackball and recently acquired a SpacePilot. I love the fookin' thing. If you're quick with SU now, you'll be faster with a Navigator or Pilot. It's more fun, too. Google Earth with it is much, much better. It almost turns it into a video game. The blue LED lighting also lets people know you're working on important stuff! ;)
On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 22:36:59 -0500, "Leon"

Sounds like "Z-clipping" to me. Part of the 3-D extents of the model are "behind" the camera position and cannot be seen from the camera location. Search the SketchUp help group for "Camera Clipping". There are a number of suggestions as to the cause and corrections.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

If it becomes a problem I'll look into it. It really only takes me "1" extra click to correct the problem. It could happen 10 times a day and would take longer to look up, or fix than clicking zoom extents. It normally happens once a week.
It sounds like Leon doesn't like multi-core hyper threading. Sigh.
The large fast disk is very important. The larger the better. You should have a large cache. It should be larger than 3x to that of the cpu memory. This is for program and data swap out and swap in.
If your disk is fragmented this is very very slow. It might crash.
And if you use multiple disks for data and cache - it might be nice to be on different ports, not stealing time from the other disk for an operation. Dual ports (common on machines) allows writing and reading at the same time in real time. No time share is needed.
There are a lot of what if. If the software is really functional for Hyper-Threading - then a 2.8 quad is much faster than a single 2.8.
Martin
Leon wrote:

IIRC Sketchup does not support HT or multi core processors. I have nothing against them at all.

But as I said, the software does not support HT or multi core processors.
Leon wrote:

I have been running an AMD dual core-64 bit processor for a number of years and never had a hardware problem with Sketchup. Never had a problem with any application that I run. This is the first non-Intel chip I've owned and was mildly apprehensive, but long since forgot all about it... 'till you just mentioned it...
--
Jack
"MikeWhy" wrote

Did you try the new driver from 3D connexion? Here is a thread, and blurb from 3D connexion, that may give you some clues as to a solution.
http://74.125.95.132/search?q che:YxUizdBZNFIJ:www.sketchucation.com/forums/scf/viewtopic.php%3Ff%3D80%26t%3D17131+sketchup+%22Space+Navigator%22+problems&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
<watch the wrap>
http://www.3dconnexion.com/news/press/111908_sketchup.php
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

http://74.125.95.132/search?q che:YxUizdBZNFIJ:www.sketchucation.com/forums/scf/viewtopic.php%3Ff%3D80%26t%3D17131+sketchup+%22Space+Navigator%22+problems&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
That's a worthwhile thought. I'll gripe openly from now on since it brings useful feedback. The forum thread references a problem after updating to SU 7, which isn't relevant here, but I'll check for an update for spacenavigator when I get a chance.
"MikeWhy"

Look first to your computer .... too many millions using the program with no similar problem to put the blame elsewhere but locally.
A hardware problem, most likely in your graphics subsystem? Got the latest drivers for your video card?
That said, as with every version change there are bugs to be squashed. There has been a recent update, so make sure you have it before proceeding with other troubleshooting.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08