Sketchup, dowels

Page 2 of 2
Greg Guarino wrote:

Right. Clamp to work, run router around fences. The hard part is getting the mortice centered; however, it isn't necessary to get the mortice dead center, you just have to pay attention to how you attach the jig to the workpiece...be sure that any offset from center is correct for where the workpiece will be attached.

One could. Or, one could make moveable fences.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
"Greg Guarino" wrote:

----------------------------------------- A router with both a fixed and a plunge base, a home built mortising jig for the PB router and you're in business.
How you get a bunch of duplicate slats without a table saw is another issue.
Lew
On 1/15/2014 9:37 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

That shouldn't be a problem. I jury-rigged this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguarino/10912202935/in/set-72157637538534446/
... to trim the shelves on my latest project to exact length, because this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguarino/11495553314/in/set-72157637538534446/
...wasn't long enough to affix a stop to.
I figure to make a longer zero-clearance "table" the same way I made the first one. I have one or two (hopefully simpler) projects in mind first, but if I build the end tables this way I'll need to make a lot of duplicated slats.
Greg Guarino wrote:

Yes I do it as and yes there is a simpler way. As I explained recently, you can use "Move" modified with control to make and move as many duplicates as you desire. You can set the spacing too. ________________

In that case, why not just make your own gizmo? Drill two holes in a 2x4 with the spacing desired, add fences to position a workpiece, put on workpiece, drill through the holes in the 2x4. _________________

Id put glue on the dowels and a bit on the other surfaces but not so much that it squeezes out.
If you want to use thickened epoxy, you don't need the dowels. _______________

You could screw/nail through the bottom rail into the end pieces, wouldn't show. They would show in the middle rail but that isn't necessarily bad.
You could rout the rails so thay have a tenon, route matching tongues in the uprights and cut off excess tongue later. Fussy and I wouldn't do it but it could be done. You could do it vice versa too; i.e., groove in the rails, tongue on the spindles, fill the empty portions of the groove later (with wood). I have done that, not all that hard. ________________

Plain glue. That is all you need.. If you just have to have a mechanical joint too, tongue & groove. Or dowels; T&G is easier but if you wanted to use through dowels and let them show, that is easy.
--

dadiOH