Sketchup 7

I don't know if it is a better way but as you point out it is possible to do default them that way. Most often, the lettering between the arrows is the best location. Personally I think a leader with the lettering to the out side of one of the extension lines would be better.

Reply to
Leon

Yeah, but that's a global change. The other way is obviously for single situations, problem is I can't remember from one use to the next which goes where.

Like you, if want to hide a dimension in that situation, I don't use one.

Reply to
Swingman

Seems like \n would be a cool Ruby Script that you could assign a short cut key to. I finally did that for the dimensioning tool and for one for an objects dimensions.

now if only I could convert that into a Ruby Script. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

I agree. They are very different animals. However there IS an overlap in what you can do with 3-D CAD, solid modelers, and Sketchup, and this overlap tends to lead to a reaction like Leon's. And someone used to doing conceptual drawings in Sketchup would find a solid modeler able to produce the same shapes, but incredibly frustrating to do jobs that Sketchup is best for. And a user of solid modelers find Sketchup and 3-D CAD inadequate for their needs. They all have their place.

For me, the visualization help with sketchup makes it the software of choice; its limited CAD capabilities meet my needs (combined with a simple 2-D CAD program)

Reply to
alexy

GEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I finally created a short cut for the dimensions tool, and a short cut for the "dimensions object tool".

Reply to
Leon

ROTFL ... atta boy, Bubba!!

BTW, I'm on site here in the boonies and tried to call you. Got a call for a "government" cabinet job in Klute, but I can't even consider that at the moment, thought you might be interested, but for some reason, and although I've called your cell a hundred times, it keeps telling me it's a non working number?

Did you change numbers? You hiding? :)

If not, call me so I can re-capture ...

Reply to
Swingman

Right click the offending dimension. Select "Text Position" in the popup menu Select where you want the dimension text. "Outside Start", "Outside End", or "Centered"

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch

Right click the dimension and select "Text Position" from the popup menu.

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch

Well thank you for that Tom!. Not quite what I was looking for but certainly addresses my preference of location for the lettering. Being from the old school way of training, to-square and triangles, I would prefer to see the leader between the lettering and the extension/dimension line, but this certainly addresses where I wanted to see the lettering.

Reply to
Leon

Well, I'll be darned. Now why can't they tie that into the "hide" function to do it automatically...

-Kevin

Reply to
LEGEND65

Sketchup is basically in it's infancy stages. IMHO it is only now worth my time to work with. I wish some of the CAD programs that I have owned in the past 20 years were as advanced in their 7th versions. :~)

Reply to
Leon

I'd add one thing to that. I have a terrible time with the Rotate tool and try to avoid it as much as possible. Creating a second side of a box by Copy/Pasting works well but the associated geometry with the original side appears on the opposite end or side of the component. Leon proposes rotating the component. That works, but I've found a simpler method. Using the Scale tool allows you to scale the component into itself and create a mirror image.

I set the scaling to -1, and I've got my component "rotated" without rotating. I"ve done this very successfully with rabbeted/dovetailed sides/ends and it takes seconds.

There is a video on the SU site that shows how this works.

Tanus

Reply to
Tanus

"Leon" wrote

Just to reiterate for those wRec'ers interested in using SU as a tool in their woodworking endeavors, Fine Woodworking has an excellent blog called "Design.Click.Build" that is all about using the program for woodworking projects. Dave Richards and Tim Killen have written dozens of very specific articles that will increase your proficiency with the program in that regard.

Swingman

"Swingman" wrote in news:s66dnfTLVq94zDTUnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I've posted this before but the best tutorial I've found is at

You'll need to hunt for it a bit but it's called "Drawing a bedside table". It's an 8 part tutorial that you can download in Word format or follow it online. It covers a lot of the problems discussed here including making components, using layers, dimensioning, etc.

This tutorial is what cleared things up for me. I had used TurboCad and Autocad previously but was never proficient with either. But having that background, at least to me, was as much a hinderence as it was a help. If you have a CAD background you must change your way of thinking or you'll never get anywhere. The old install, try it out, uninstall routine comes to mind.

If you have any interest in using SketchUp I encourage you to take a look at this. It is invaluable for someone just starting out.

Larry

Reply to
Larry

Your are correct when the par/component to be rotated is not symetrical.

Thanks for the reminder on this, Swingman told me about this and I had forgotten. I'll have to hunt that video down.

Reply to
Leon

at

You'll need to hunt for it a bit but

As I said elsewhere, the model exists to allow me to make the piece. Putting more effort into the model than what is needed to do that is a waste of time. Why do I need a model of the drawer? All I need to make a drawer is length, width, height, thickness of parts. That's it. What is the point of modeling it beyond that? What do I need the tenons and mortises modeled for in the first place, and what benefit does showing them at each leg accomplish? Why do I need to model the dovetail recess in the front legs if I am going to be cutting the dovetails on the rail and using that to mark the location of the recess? This isn't mass production where one needs drawings such that I could give the drawing of an individual part to someone who has no other knowledge of the rest of the piece and have them produce the correct part.

-Kevin

Reply to
LEGEND65

As you get into more complex projects it does help to draw a complete model of drawers or doors, or what have you, to see how they will fit together inside a cabinet or case. In my case the model of the drawer helps me to make certain that the rabbits on the front and backs of the jewelry chest drawers do not interfere with the dado's in the sides of the drawer sides that I cut for the drawer slide. Then the overall size of the drawer helps me to see how far back it will fit in relationship to the back of the cabinet or chest. More planning on the drawing keeps me from having to plan during the actual construction phase. All of the parts and their sizes have been predetermined and I know how they are going to fit before cutting any wood. This is especially helpful when I made a 12 drawer jewelry chest with

4 or 5 different sized drawers.
Reply to
Leon

snipped-for-privacy@YAHOO.COM wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@41g2000yqf.googlegro ups.com:

For some of us that aren't as gifted as yourself, it helps us think the plans through from start to finish. I haven't reached the stage where I can build from pictures in my head. I like to see what I'm building *before* I start. Helps me avoid mistakes, and I'm full of them. Not sure who to credit it to but can you say "precision cut firewood"? Yep, I've got some of that...

Larry

Reply to
Larry

innews: snipped-for-privacy@41g2000yqf.googlegro

Precisely because we do make mistakes do I prefer to work as much as possible with what is in front of me, already made. What happens when we screw something up, but it's still quite workable as long as we adjust as we go along, but then we forget what changed and go back to working from our drawing and create parts that perfectly match the drawing but don't work with what we already screwed up? I mean who hasn't made a beautiful mortise, perfect in every respect, except for being in the wrong place.

I can't visualize a complete project in my head, if I could I wouldn't need sketchup at all. But once I get the outside of it squared away then I can just sort of chip away at everything I don't know until I have enough to get started. That may mean drawing out certain areas that I don't understand. I can always go back to the drawing and add more, but if I took the approach of having to model every last detail before I got to go in the shop, that would just suck all the fun out of it.

-Kevin

Reply to
LEGEND65

It doesn't even need to be mass production - it need only be a project on which more than one person is working, with others perhaps doing their part of the project in their own shop...

Reply to
Morris Dovey