Sketchup 7

Page 2 of 5

wrote

Yeah, but that's a global change. The other way is obviously for single situations, problem is I can't remember from one use to the next which goes where.

Like you, if want to hide a dimension in that situation, I don't use one.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Seems like \n<> would be a cool Ruby Script that you could assign a short cut key to. I finally did that for the dimensioning tool and for one for an objects dimensions.
now if only I could convert that into a Ruby Script. ;~)

GEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I finally created a short cut for the dimensions tool, and a short cut for the "dimensions object tool".

ROTFL ... atta boy, Bubba!!
BTW, I'm on site here in the boonies and tried to call you. Got a call for a "government" cabinet job in Klute, but I can't even consider that at the moment, thought you might be interested, but for some reason, and although I've called your cell a hundred times, it keeps telling me it's a non working number?
Did you change numbers? You hiding? :)
If not, call me so I can re-capture ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
wrote:>

http://groups.google.com/group/SketchUp3d/browse_thread/thread/38377246792deaf7/a2b4c3205f3f5c3d?lnk=raot
Keep in mind that Sketchup can be very difficult to use if you don't create components and assemble them if you want a working drawing. After assemble of the components that can be easily moved again.
For printing to scale be sure to uncheck the "Fit to page" and "Use model extents" boxes and then change the scale boxes to be equal for the In print out and the In Sketchup. This is possible after unchecking the mentioned boxes.

Apossable solution is to manually draw the demention in those situations.

I don't generally bother with components because I have no need to pull out components to be shown separately. The type of things I'm making I just don't need that kind of drawings. And even if I were doing something, say a mission style bench and I have rails with a bunch of mortises. Well, when I go to make those mortises I am probably going to use some kind of template that references from the center of the mortise. So what do I need a drawing of the mortises for? All I need is the location of the centers which I can get from the full drawing. And so I just don't even bother modeling the joint at all, I know what needs to happen there so I just don't see the point in modeling it. I'm the only one who needs to understand the drawing so it doesn't need to be complete, just enough for me to do the job, and possibly to show to a customer who only needs to know what it will look like not how to make it.
-Kevin

It's less about what you need in the model or drawings as keeping things straight with Sketchup. Other CAD systems will manage a certain amount of information behind the scenes. For example, a part may be made up of some extrusions or sweeps, each with an associated sketch and other information. Sub-assemblies contain other assemblies as well as parts made from features of extrusions and such. The relevance here is that Sketchup doesn't do any of that organization for you by itself. Sketchup components are in many ways analogous to parts and sub-assemblies in the other systems. Everything that isn't grouped into a component is part of the global component.
If that's right for what you're doing, that's already more than you need to know. However, it's clear to me from your comments that this is the precisely the problem you're running into. In your mind, the box you're drawing is a board separate from the box already in the model. From Sketchup's point of view, you're trying to connect them together to make a compound shape. The way you tell Sketchup what you have in mind is to group them into separate components.

Draw them if you need them. Don't draw them if you don't. This is independent of the problems you described.

Sketchup is looking over your shoulder, and guessing wrong. Give it a clue.

I can understand what you are talking about here and I used to think that way. Most of what I build can be quite complex and for me the drawings help me to visualize if some thing is going to work or not. Basically the components are not used so that you can pull them out so to speak, you use components so that you can more easily modify a part that may be too long or too wide, etc,.. I recently designed a jewelry chest with sliding dado's for the drawer slides. I made every thing out of components and then assembled a drawer out of copies of the components. Then I grouped that assembly so that I could place it in the cabinet and see how it fit. If it were too long I could easily modify a component part outside the cabinet with out having to remove the drawer. The drawer components would automatically adjust while in place inside the chest.
On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 21:38:27 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@YAHOO.COM wrote:

Right click the offending dimension. Select "Text Position" in the popup menu Select where you want the dimension text. "Outside Start", "Outside End", or "Centered"
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Well, I'll be darned. Now why can't they tie that into the "hide" function to do it automatically...
-Kevin

Sketchup is basically in it's infancy stages. IMHO it is only now worth my time to work with. I wish some of the CAD programs that I have owned in the past 20 years were as advanced in their 7th versions. :~)

Yeah unfortunately I don't get abpw any more.
Leon wrote:

Oops - sorry (I forgot). There's a freshly uploaded copy at
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Misc/SK7NotYet.jpg
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Leon wrote:

I've been messing with it a lot lately and it IS pretty dang spiffy. But I'm also a TurboCAD junky and there are a lot of things from that program that I miss terribly in Sketchup. Some of the decisions it automatically makes for you can be pretty maddening (merging entities together when they just happen to be touching, for example) but perhaps with time I'll learn to work around my preconceived notions of how it *ought* to operate. For a free program it's pretty damned incredible.

If I understand you correctly, merging, remember to make all pieces a component first, just like you would when actually building and assembling. When you make each piece a component they no longer are automatically "permanently attracted to each other"
Hoping that I am understanding your situation, taking a box for instance, draw 1 side and give it depth, "push" to the disired thickness. If you need to rabbet the ends or put a dado in at the bottom do that now. When that piece is absolutely completed make it in to a component. Now any other line or part that may be along the same lines of the side can be easily moved or modified. Copy that component side to make the other side and rotate as needed. If you make any modifications to one component all copies will also automatically modify the same "UNLESS" you make that component "Unique" All components can be modified later if necessary. After you have drawn all the components, move them together to assemble. As long as all of the pieces are components you can move and manulipulate as desired. Remember that you must edit a component to midify it. Simply drawing extra lines on a component will not make them a part of the component.

Leon wrote:

I've been piddling with Sketchup again this morning (have the day off work today) and I'd just about come to that same conclusion when I read your post; thanks for solidifying it for me. This sounds kinda like using blocks and groups in TurboCAD; separately edited components that maintain their own identity when inserted into a drawing. Thanks.
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

Correct!
I had to get out of the mind set of drawing I was using a t-square and triangles.
Leon wrote:

I'd add one thing to that. I have a terrible time with the Rotate tool and try to avoid it as much as possible. Creating a second side of a box by Copy/Pasting works well but the associated geometry with the original side appears on the opposite end or side of the component. Leon proposes rotating the component. That works, but I've found a simpler method. Using the Scale tool allows you to scale the component into itself and create a mirror image.
I set the scaling to -1, and I've got my component "rotated" without rotating. I"ve done this very successfully with rabbeted/dovetailed sides/ends and it takes seconds.
There is a video on the SU site that shows how this works.
Tanus

Your are correct when the par/component to be rotated is not symetrical.

Thanks for the reminder on this, Swingman told me about this and I had forgotten. I'll have to hunt that video down.