Sizing pilot holes for hardwood

Hi. Dumb question probably, but I have to screw into some hard maple and was never sure about how to match up a pilot hole size with the screw. Is there an easy way to know how to match the two? I'm concerned mainly about drilling too big a pilot so that the screw doesn't bite enough, and vice versa of course.
thanks, dwhite
Hi Dan,
Just do a search with google "probably any search engine" for pilot hole sizes or drilling charts. You should get several nice charts which you can easily print and keep for reference. That's what I did.
Now if I can only figure out what I did with them.....
Pat
On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 22:51:21 -0500, "Dan White"

Is
about
Dan:
A tried and true method is to hold the drill bit up to the screw shank. For hardwoods, the drill bit should be the same diameter (as close as possible) to the shank diameter (the part between the threads). For softwoods, I like a drill bit slightly smaller than the screw shank. If in doubt, do a quick test.
Here's a link to our recommendations to help get you started: http://www.mcfeelys.com/wadb.asp
HTH
Jim Ray, President McFeely's Square Drive Screws www.mcfeelys.com

about