Size of motor for 6" jointer

Hi,
I have a 6" jointer that needs a motor. The manual does not talk about the horsepower required for the jointer but it does say that it needs to run at about 4000 rpm. It states that I can take a motor that runs at 1725 and put a 7" pulley on it to get the 4000 rpm.
I have a 1/4 horsepower motor running @ 1725 rpm lying around. Is it too underpowered for this jointer?
Thanks
Alex
Alex wrote:>Hi,

full width capacity. Find a 1.5 or better with 110/220 V. Tom Work at your leisure!
Jet and Delta use a 1 HP motor on their jointers. Greg

how old is your 1/4HP? if it's old enough to be repulsion/induction it may well be enough. if it's more modern it will likely be too small.
I think if I had it and a 7" pulley just lying around I'd try it. if I had to buy the pulley I'd probably just go buy a bigger motor.
I have a 50's era 6" jointer with a 3/4hp powerkraft motor from the same period. It works for full width but I have it set for a pretty light cut which might make the difference, just under 1/32" if I remember correctly. Balanced pulleys and a link belt really smoothed it out and might transfer power better because I can push the stock through a little faster now.
MT
snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com wrote in message

1hp would be more like it, IMHO.
If I'm buying new motors (terrible practice, I know !) I find that 2hp are about the cheapest price break.
This is why we have Harbor Freight! You really need high power for face planing, not much for edging. Wilson

Sounds like you have an old American Machine and Tool jointer. They came with two pulleys, 7" for a1725 rpm motor and a 2" I think for 3450 rpm motor. Motor did not come with jointer. 1/2 hp will run this jointer easily. Very good machine if it's a AMT. Most of their power tools were of okay quality, jointer is much better than average quality. When you need blades 5/8"x1/8"x6" standard cutters are needed. Everyone sells this size.My jointer is over 30 years old and still performs like a champ with a 1/2hp motor. mike