Size matters...!

Howdy,

I use Leight orange rocket-shaped foam earplugs in the largest size.

One of them was seated so deeply that it took me about a half hour to get it out. (No, I am not kidding...)

Might you know of a source of similar plugs in a (significantly) larger size?

Sincere thanks,

Reply to
Kenneth

Good Morning, my name is Bob and I'm a plugoholic. I've been plugging for just over 25 years.

It seems you definately had them in far enough. I see too many folks with plugs 'in' their ear where I can still see 80% of the plug. Not nearly the protection they should be getting. I get them out of the loud area and ask why they don't put their plugs in far enough and the reply I get the most is "What?".

I use the old standard plug with NPR ratings of 29. I really don't care how hip they look, its the protection I want. You can see what I use at

or (here is where I would put the Tiny URL, but they seem to be down) 200pr for less than $30.

I've had a pair in so far I've had to have someone get some tweezers, but that was only once. You can get the more expensive ones (with cords attached) for twice as much $ and they are still cheap for safety equipment. If you are alone and get some caught, try a stubby needle nose plyers. Pointy enough to reach the plug, stubby enough to not go into your ear to do any damage.

No, I don't work for AO Safety or Vallen.

You may want to be a bit more attentive when placing the plugs, and try not to have them meet in the middle.

Reply to
FMB

Not too removed from the foam type, you might consider this model of ear protectors from Lee Valley Tools.

Upscale

I generally use E.A.R. plugs (common in Europe) and I always buy the pairs on a string. Harder to lose, and you can take them out with oily hands, without getting panda-ears.

I also like the 3M ones, because RS sell them cheaply as two pairs and a neat little aluminium screw-top carrying tin (lathe turned !). Handy thing for aspirins too.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Obviously, you haven't got the optional ear plug removal fitting for your Dust Collector yet..

Reply to
mac davis

No. Just let the earwax build up for a year or so and they'll fit much better.

Reply to
mp

For an even cheaper option, just attend the next NHRA event in your area. People are usually giving them out free at the gate there. I got three pair at the race in Joliet this year. The good kind with the string and everything.

And boy did I need them!

Reply to
mmoore0011

At least Lee Valley is honest with their -25dB rating. The companies that claim any more than that are likely caught up in 'spec wars'. Very few companies state at what frequency such major drop in dB level occurs. A -29dB drop in soundlevel vs a -25dB drop, is more than TWICE the sound reduction. Earplugs do nothing for bone conduction (that's why the boys on the flight deck have these huge muffs on their heads) Then there is tactility in the lower registres. Stand next to a large kettle drum with and without earplugs....makes no difference. Don't get me wrong, ear plugs are a HUGE help compared to NO plugs, but a proper muff works better, in some cases a genuine -27dB drop over a wider bandwidth. Transmitted sound (as opposed to reflected sound) can only be stopped by one method---> mass. An extra sheet of drywall does more to block transmission of sound than stuffing the wall with fibreglass.

I dunno why I just ranted. Maybe for the same reasons that the routers

3- 1/2 hp, yet 10 amp, ratings drive me nuts. So does the bullshit of 'total harmonic distortion' on amplifiers...ooops...did I just wander Off Topic?
Reply to
Sandman

Buy 'em with a connecting cord. you can hang them around your neck when you are not wearing them and you can pull them out of your ears, even if you have gloves on.

Reply to
Bob

I've always preferred muffs... OH! you mean ear things, sorry..

Reply to
mac davis

Reply to
Thomas Bunetta

I've always preferred UNbearded clams, thanks.

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques