single phase vs. 3 phase

Page 4 of 4

I'm pretty sure the power poles running along the front of my lot are three phase. I really doubt the power company would install a transformer and the underground feed to my shop that would provide me with three phase power, even if it is there. If they did do it, they would probably charge an arm and a leg.
I actually called one time to inquire about three phase and just got shuffled from department to department and gave up at the time.
The power for my house actually comes from poles run down the center of my two lots. There was an alley easement, but it was vacated many years ago. The power company has to drive on customer driveways and across customer yards to access their poles and wires.
Brian Elfert
"Brian Elfert" wrote in message news

Actually if the situation warrents it (demand is there) I don't believe they charge to provide power (up to the "service wiring"). Naturally they aren't going to do all that for a heating pad in fido's dog house!

If you called your local power co. I can believe that. You'd have gotten some real answers from a contractor. You know.. in regards to quoting a possible job.
Jon Veeneman

A contractor has nothing to do with getting power to a meter socket. I could have a contractor put in a meter scoket and service, and then have the contractor call for a hookup and find it won't happen or only for big bucks.
I bet most residential electricians have never wired a house for three phase and have no idea if the power company would even do it.
Brian Elfert

Best explanation I've seen is on the Old Woodworking Machines site http://www.oldwwmachines.com/FAQ / 3 phase, what it does, how to convert one to the other.
(Even if the bunch of tightasses don't think _my_ saw is good enough!)
If you've got it, or can get it cheaply, three phase every time.
Good stuff. Thanks for the input everyone! -mike

Three phase is more economical to run, and the motors are cheaper. It also allows you to instantly reverse the motor (without allowing it to coast to a stop or to slow way down, as you do with a single phase motor).
But, three phase power is generally very expensive to bring into a residence.
Except for a few special metalworking machines where the instant reversing is a plus - such as for some tapping and lathe operations - you would always choose a single phase machine in a home or small shop.
If you get a used three phase machine, you can run it on single phase current by using a phase converter or a VFD (variable frequency drive).
John Martin
Hope your shop is in commercial space and not your home.
John
Mike B wrote:

Unless you already have 3 phase feeding your shop and pay for it, I think you will find that the power company will charge a premium to supply it to you. It requires more equipment on their part to supply it to you and they in return expect higher useage to justify it. Check with your utility company to see what your costs to get 3 phase would be, before you even entertain which is better for a saw.
Bob