Single fluted straight router bits?

I bought a lot of new router bits. Included were 3 Amana straight single flute bits.
I've never seen a single flute before. Is there some purpose to it, other than cost reduction?
toller wrote:

Often used in automated systems where speed of cut is more important than finish.

In solid surface fabrication, it's the bit of choice for doing cook-top and sink cut-outs. The single flute throws the waste away nice and quick without heat build-up. Duane is right; the finish isn't great.

Well that makes sense; I got them the same place I bought corian scraps. So now I have some bits to work the corian!

Well that makes sense; I got them the same place I bought corian scraps. So now I have some bits to work the corian!
The single flute bits are invaluable for deep cuts where clogging is an issue. Also useful in resinous woods because very little cutting surface touches the material. Similarly, poor performance in hardwoods because the cutter is so small. Another issue is that if the cutter becomes damaged, it will show because there will be nothing to even out the problem.
Just curious, were these in with the bosch ones you are selling?

router table.