simple jig to scary sharpen jointer knives.

I made a real simple jig out of 3 scrap pieces of Ipe. I put the jointer knife on my table saw and held the bevel against the table surface and set my table saw at the same angle. I ripped a piece of Ipe at this angle. I then lowered the blade and moved the fence in a little to make a grove just under the width and thickness of the knife. I used a couple of nuts and bolts to fasten the top piece to the first piece and clamp the knife. The third piece is held on with screws and the holes are oblong to allow it to slide for a little angle adjustment. I used a screw on each side to mount some roller bearings. A piece of card board at the top was just thick enough to clamp the knife nice and tight without any movement.

I just clamp the blade in the jig and move the jig back and forth over sandpaper glued to glass. It makes a better edge than I have ever recieved from a sharpening service. Side View. /\ / \ Cardboard / \ / / / / / / //\ / / // \ / / / \ / / / \ / / / \ /\ / / / / / \ / / / / / \ / / / / / \ / / \ / / / / / /\ / / / / / / / / / / / /-\ / /____/ / / /______/ /_( o )_/ /_/ \_/ Roller bearing Knife

> I made a jig and use the scarey sharp system to sharpen the knives. > > Works great and is less work than buying more knives or taking the old > > knives to the sharpener. > > Care to share your jig details?? > > > > > I have had a HF 6" jointer for 6+ years now. It is one of the most > > used tools in my shop. I have only moved the fence a few times. When > > I clamp down the fence on mine it likes to tilt a bit while > > tightening. No biggie, it stays put once set. > > > > For dust collection I have been using a piece of stove pipe flashing. > > It is about 12" x 12" and is made to go over a stove pipe on a roof. > > It has a cone shaped chute and my 4" flex tubing fits on it nicely. > > Mounting is a little tricky, 4 pieces of duct tape and it has never > > fallen off. I have never had a clog. > > > > I made a jig and use the scarey sharp system to sharpen the knives. > > Works great and is less work than buying more knives or taking the old > > knives to the sharpener. > > > > I have not found a reason to purchase a nicer 6" jointer but a 10" > > long bed would be nice. > >
Reply to
Oughtsix