Simple Dust extraction

Page 1 of 2
Hi,
I am using the 7 x 2' area at the and of my garage as my "wokshop". I need to rig up some sort of dust extraction. I am trying to get my hands on a s/h vacuum cleaner, that I could plug into my power tools (jigsaw, sander, router) and use to clear up sawdust from the floor when woking with hand tools etc. Is this a good move, as it seems to be OK.
Cheers,
Sam

Sir-fryed turkey for dinner?
??? I don't get it - I'm 13!

He was making a joke about you spelling "work" as "wok," but mangled it by misspelling both stir and fried...

Oops! I was being, uh, pleasantly distracted as I was trying to type.
mp wrote:

Flog her for making you screw up your spelling. <eg>
--
--John
You misspelled "workshop" and the spelling police got you. Too bad they have nothing better to do than discourage others.

Wow. You have quite the sense of humour. I bet you're the life the of party, aren't you?

OK. There are TWO levels of extraction you have to address. The first are the obvious shavings caused by a power saw, router, drill, etc. These are usually taken care of on most power tools by collection bags attached to the tools thenselves or, even better, vacuum hoses attached to the collection bag holes so that MOST OF the shavings are sucked into the vacuum as they are made. An old cleaner will do for this purpose.
The second is the more difficult (and dangerous to health) microscopic dust that's kicked up by these tools and blown all over the workshop. It won't all be caught by the above. Sanders cause a lot of this and (to a lesser degree) routers, power saws, et al. These tiny particles can hang in the air for hours and only gradually settle and are more difficult to prevent and/or collect. Good worshops have power ventilators and extraction systems in the walls or ceilings. You obviously aren't in a position to do that. Is your workbench near a window? If it is, you can accomplish quite a bit by having a table fan pointing out the window and blowing a lot of the dust into the outdoors. And ALWAYS wear a nose/face mask when doing any work that will cause this dust.
Hope this helps
FoggyTown "Cut to shape - pound to fit."
Mike Girouard wrote:

I agree with Mike but have no windows in my shop. I did get two filters usually used with house's heating system and put one in front of a 20" electric fan and put the second behind it. These two filters catch a lot of dust. They can b washed off with an outdoor garden hose and I try to remember to wash them often. (The more often the better says the guy who fixes heaters.) I vaccume the fan now and then, too.
Josie
On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 21:20:14 -0500, "firstjois"
<snip>

I use a roll-around evaporative cooler... the water in the wet filter traps the dust and leaves most of it in a water bin when it revolves around to pick up more water..
It will be replaced ASAP by a blower motor, box and furnace filters
Got a 2 speed squirrel cage/motor from a plumber that installed a new furnace, gratis.

Thu, Nov 25, 2004, 2:27pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (MikeGirouard) says: <snip> And ALWAYS wear a nose/face mask when doing any work that will cause this dust.
That's not the little things the dentist wears, but the type with replaceable filters. They've got inespensive models that work.
I've got a mask, that uses two replaceable filters, a window fan blowing in, and an open door, plus a broom and dustpan. That's about all I've got space for, but works.
JOAT Measure twice, cut once, swear repeatedly.
On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 18:21:02 -0000, "Sam Berlyn"

Got your own garage at age 13? Mansion hidden away somewhere? This where you keep your Roller / Troller?
On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 19:16:41 +0200, Phil Hansen
......and in reply I say!:

I actually think the guy's _not_ a troll. I did, but now I don't. If he is, it's the best I have seen!<G> Never gets angry, replies to posts. Is actually posting on-topic.

Nah, Sam's no troll.
actually, he seems to have the makings of a good .rec'er
Thanks!
Sam

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 18:21:02 -0000, "Sam Berlyn"

it's a good start. also consider working with the garage door open, with a strong fan at your back. some tools resist dust extraction... sanders come to mind... and just getting the dust outdoors is probably your best bet.
On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 11:43:28 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com wrote:

damn, something that I forgot to suggest to sam... your comment about sanding rolled the fog back! A sanding box (shallow box with pegboard top and connection for shop vac) really helps with that fine dust... I was amazed how well mine worked,,
I use a sweeper in my shop. I fills up real fast but the bags are cheap. It sucks up small pieces that jam inside the sweeper. I usually use a broom and dust pan first. then follow up with the sweeper.
I don't recommend it.
John