Simple Dust Collector Question

Right now I use a shop vac attached to most tools. Most of the posters here seem to be true woodworkers with planers and lathes that generate much dust and chips. I do mostly home improvement projects around my house. I use a table saw, band saw, mitre saw and a spindle sander. Is a dust collector going to be much advantage for my basement shop? Is there a problem short cycling a dust collector because sometimes I just need to to cut a 2x4 or some 1 by lumber.

Thanks

Rocky

Reply to
Rocky

Rocky,

Your question is sure to generate a lot of answers since it's been discussed and cussed by many for such a long time. You can Google it till the cows come home and get lots of answers but the short answer to your question is -

  1. Yes it will be of some value but how much depends on a number of factors.

  1. Short-cycling should not be a big factor if you purchase a collector that has a decent motor and the wiring (typically 220VAC) is done correctly.

Now I'll let the rest of the group provide the long versions..........

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

Stick with the shop vac. Add a jointer, stick with the shop vac. If you ever add a planer, then go for a dust collector.

Reply to
musials

Dust collection is ineffective on miter saws, table saws and spindle sanders. (I use a friends band saw when I need one and he has a shop vac on it. It does a pretty good job; a DC would be better, but not by much.)

DCs are great on jointers, planers, and router tables. You don't have any of them; so it would really be a waste of money. Okay?

Reply to
Toller

I had the same question. I've been researching a DC selection myself but like the other poster pointed out there's abundance of material of past postings for me to find "which" DC, but whether to even use one is a question I hadn't thought of. I do have a planer though, and man does it throw out the shavings. Right now I just take the planer onto the deck to use.

Reply to
astutesolutions

Sorry to go off on a tangent here, but I've noticed that my DC (IIRC, older

1HP delta canister w/ a bag that hangs off the side) does pretty much nothing when connected to my bandsaw. Anybody have any tips on improving dust collection with a bandsaw?

Would weather stripping the doors a bit be a good idea? Some sort of enclosure around the lower guides, maybe?

-John

Reply to
John Girouard

89% of the participants in this conference agree that a DC +planer is a very good combination. The other 11% just like to argue.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

Cut a 4" circular hole in the door and hook up a 4" dust hose using a toilet flange (4"). It sucks most of the dust up fine. Works a lot better than the little 2" they put in the front.

Tim

Reply to
tdup2

Tim... I'm going to do just that on my 14" Ridgid, very soon...

To prevent me from re-inventing the wheel, what/how did you use to cut the 4" hole?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

It would be hard to beat putting a diaper on your tablesaw. If you have access to a sewing machine or know someone who can sew, you can make one for under $20. I have got to make a new one for my Ridgid TS. I put one on my old craftsman over a year ago and it would great. If you want details on one just let me know.

vdubbs

I put a piece of wood behind the door and drilled some holes then took tin snips and cut my circle. If your careful there will not be to much filing to do.

Tim

Reply to
tdup2

I was wondering why put the hole in the door (which is roughly where one stands) as opposed to the back side. Other than difficulty in cutting the hole due to the wheel, why wouldn't this be a good idea?

-John

Reply to
John Girouard

Not true.