simple common wood question

My guess is petrified wood. I have several pieces in my aquarium.

"Petrified", of course.
If you don't like that answer, I'd suggest a Google search.
The United States Forest Products Laboratory has lots of material on the strength of woods. and hardness.
morning wood. followed closely by jessica simpson wood.
randy

Heheh. Amen, brother!
Ya know, though, technically speaking, "pertrified" isn't a type of wood, is it? More like a state of transformation. Before it petrified it had some species.
Keith Carlson wrote:

Prove to me it didn't grow that way.... <g>
-- Mark
On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 01:24:14 GMT, "Keith Carlson"

well, there's no real line. lots of species absorb minerals as they grow and have enough in them to be hard on tooling all along. they fall, get buried, absorb more and more and eventually the organic stuff gets completely displaced.