simple, cheap lumber rack

OK.. been toiling with this for years.

The other day, in Lowes, I spot 12" x 14" L-bracket shelf supports rated at 100 lbs. So I figure 4 of those mounted to a 2x4, mounted to my shop wall studs and spaced 12" vertically apart or so and that should be adequate. I ran some calcs based on wood density and a stack of 12" oak that is 10" wide would average out to less than 100# per support.

oak 50#/cuft

50 x 8' x 12" x 10" / 4 supports = 83 # / support

What am I missing?

Mount several sets of 4 in-a-row and walla -- instanct lumber rack for $2 a support ($8 per row)

Reply to
kansascats

What are you missing? Some one leaning on the rack and it all coming down. IMHO you want to be rated for at least double the load. Also, 4 rows? Loading 320# on eack stud??? I would suggest free standing on the floor 2x6 and anchored to the wall at the top to prevent it falling.

above 12" brackets support 300# each. That is what I use.

Reply to
Leon

Theodore Edward Stosterone

Firstly, to keep boards straight, stickering at about every 18" is recommended: that suggests you'll want to have five+ supports under a stack of (for instance) 8' boards.

Secondly, this is steel, right? So if there's any condensation, it makes rust stains or maybe black marks (in oak).

Third, it's possibly expensive. It's odd how a wire shelf system has inexpensive shelves, and all the other parts are stratospheric in price, completely dominating the total cost.

Last, the L-brackets I'm familiar with need screws to hold 'em up; even if the bracket holds 100#, what is the reliability of a screw or three? I'm in earthquake territory, it'd be a comfort to see lots of wood/wood surface contact, like a mortise or through tenons, holding the load. You can make a pretty good L bracket with 1x2 ribs and a glued-in triangle of plywood for the web.

Reply to
whit3rd

---------------------------------------

Remember KISS?

Try it.

Lew Hodgett

you.

I want to barf everytime I see "walla".

Reply to
dadiOH

The (almost) best laid plans: A lumber rack story: During the remodel of my shop (burned rent house), I dedicated one bedroom for lumber storage. Built racks with 2X4s on edge, with vertical supports about 3' apart.

doubt the racks would support most of the lumber I have..... including quite a few hurricane-downed trees I had milled. Under the racks, on the floor, I stored small 8" -12" diameter logs (to be used for stair construction, later). With the racks about 2/3 filled, some of the floor joists, of the room, failed. I had to get under the house, jack up the flooring, add pillars and more 4X6 beam support. I, also, scabbed sleepers along the broken joists. It could have been worse.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Viola!

Reply to
Swingman

+1.

Add "try and", "there's many", "a myriad of" (vs "myriad"), "where you AT", and dozens more. Since I gave up TV, I don't hear all of these nearly as often as I used to. 'Twas a double blessing. I can't bear to listen to broadcast radio or watch broadcast tv any more because of the assinine commercials and bozo speech. No wonder the rest of the world looks down on us, if we allow that crap to fester to such a wide extent.

-- The problem with borrowing money from China is that thirty minutes later, you feel broke again. --Steve Bridges as Obama

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Closer, Mr. Musician! It's "Voilà!", with Alt+0224 (grave accent)

-- The problem with borrowing money from China is that thirty minutes later, you feel broke again. --Steve Bridges as Obama

Reply to
Larry Jaques

"Number 1 doctor recommended....."

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

Tsk tsk ... where's your sense of cacography this morning, C-Less?

Reply to
Swingman

I think he was referring to a happiness term when complete.

When completed he would be as happy as pigs walla'n in mud.

Reply to
Leon

Yeah, and a login page is not KISS.

Reply to
kansascats

That is a beefy solution. But I'm just looking to hold a stack of maybe 10" high x 8" wide hardwoods -or- 10" high x 10" wide 2x materials. Even their photo shows the rack 80% unused. For that, the cheap brackets are plenty strong. That's my point -- I only ever want to put at-most 10" of material on them -- because I don't want to sort through 20 boards. With that in mind, each bracket only needs to support 50# or so.

This is for dried lumber. Green would be a different story.. though I could sticker this rack system and probabley keep similar densities as dried.

http://www.eng>

Reply to
kansascats

'Twas a double blessing. I can't bear

Nick

Caca what? I reacted, then realized you were 'making a funny', then sent it anyway, in order that the unwashed masses to incorporate said wisdom into their daily lives. A "Hail Mary"? You bet.

Note to those who know no Spanglish: "caca" is "poop" in Español.

-- The problem with borrowing money from China is that thirty minutes later, you feel broke again. --Steve Bridges as Obama

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Bbbut, two esses feeeeeeeeeeeel better.

Mizpelung noted, will assimilate.

-- The problem with borrowing money from China is that thirty minutes later, you feel broke again. --Steve Bridges as Obama

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Only from a Texan (or other suthuhnah)...

P.S: I thought that was "wallerin'".

-- The problem with borrowing money from China is that thirty minutes later, you feel broke again. --Steve Bridges as Obama

Reply to
Larry Jaques

To load a 100# bracket with 8e# is an accident waiting to happen.

83 # is the number you provided. oak 50#/cuft 50 x 8' x 12" x 10" / 4 supports = 83 # / support

50# would be safer.

Reply to
Leon