Silver Maple any good?

Page 2 of 2

Great firewood meaning it burns well. No, not as long as harder woods like osage and locust, but thick cuts last a good while and produce a nice clean bed of coals to cook the black locust.

Here are the (dry) hardness numbers for each of the above. When I say 'up there', I guess it's implied that it is 'close' to the others. In 2 cases its actually HARDER. In the case of walnut, you are incorrect. It is only lower by 60 lbs of force or approx 5%.
Soft maple Specific Gravity 0.54 Hardness 950 lbs
Black walnut Specific Gravity 0.59 Hardness 1010 lbs
Cherry Specific Gravity 0.54 Hardness 660 lbs
Genuine Mahogany Specific Gravity 0.59 Hardness 801 lbs
FPL list silver as .44
Acer rubrum, the eastern "soft maple" is .49. Suspect the hardness is for A rubrum as well.

You are correct. I researched it further, and it seems soft maple ranges from around 700 lbs to 950. I think red maple ranges harder(which is what I had, not silver), while silver is lower in hardness. Silver has a kind of shaggy bark I believe, while the red is smoother and light grey.
On 30 Nov 2004 05:52:35 -0800, of_the snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (todd the wood junkie) wrote:

Yes, it is "shaggy" and it tends to flake off.
(todd the wood junkie) wrote:

Silver maple? I don't think so. Maybe you're burning red maple?

Your figures are in error.

First error: we were discussing _silver_ maple specifically. "Soft" maple can be any of several species, primarily Acer saccharinum (silver) and A. rubrum (red). There is a *huge* difference in hardness and density between the two.

Second error: those figures are for red maple. As noted above, we are discussing _silver_ maple, for which the corresponding figures are SG: 0.47 Side hardness: 700 lbs

700 is "about 2/3" of 1010, no?

Third error: you read the wrong line in the table. The other hardness figures you cited are for 12% moisture content, but this one is for green lumber. The correct figure is 950 lbs, not 660.