Silver Maple any good?

You are correct. I researched it further, and it seems soft maple ranges from around 700 lbs to 950. I think red maple ranges harder(which is what I had, not silver), while silver is lower in hardness. Silver has a kind of shaggy bark I believe, while the red is smoother and light grey.

Reply to
todd the wood junkie

Yes, it is "shaggy" and it tends to flake off.

Reply to
GregP

Why make a normal stool when you can make one that you can flip over and ride... :)

Rob

patriarch < wrote:

Reply to
Rob Stokes

Silver maple? I don't think so. Maybe you're burning red maple?

Your figures are in error.

First error: we were discussing _silver_ maple specifically. "Soft" maple can be any of several species, primarily Acer saccharinum (silver) and A. rubrum (red). There is a *huge* difference in hardness and density between the two.

Second error: those figures are for red maple. As noted above, we are discussing _silver_ maple, for which the corresponding figures are SG: 0.47 Side hardness: 700 lbs

700 is "about 2/3" of 1010, no?

Third error: you read the wrong line in the table. The other hardness figures you cited are for 12% moisture content, but this one is for green lumber. The correct figure is 950 lbs, not 660.

Doug Miller

Well, for one, it's not too much of a stretch to imagine the user stepping up without realizing the stool's upside down....

Reply to
George