Silly Table Top Question

Page 1 of 2
I made a table and the top is a perfect square. Is it customary to have the grain run right left or front back ? or does it not freaken matter?
Wouldn't that depend on where your sitting at the time???
--
"Cartoons don't have any deep meaning.

No
The table has a front and a back because of a drawer. The top can be mounted with the grain going in either direction.

front-back.
Thanks. That's what I was leaning towards.
This is my first table with a drawer. When I finish the drawer I'm gonna post some pics. (if it still looks ok.) :)

My bad dude. I didn't know it had a drawer. If that's the case, I think I would run left/right. It's kinda like a coffee table. Or, if it was front/back it'd be like an end table. DAMMIT MAN!!!! Why you ask such questions!!!!:-) I get it, this is a test, right????
--
"Cartoons don't have any deep meaning.
stoutman wrote:

I vote for the grain going left to right, FWIW.
-- Mark

In that case from left to right, you would not normally want the end grain facing you.
--
Jon Down
My eBay items currently listed:

Just my opinion but I would make the grain of the top run the same was as the drawer face.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Mine always runs left right or back front. Of course I'm left-handed so I plan it that way. You can reverse it in the southern hemisphere though. Ed
I thought I might have it run left right Mon, Tue, Wed and then front back Thur Fri and Sat. Not sure what to do on Sunday!! :)

Mount it on a lazy Susan for Sundays and give it a spin.
With a drawer, the L-R or R-L will work. Ed
    Greetings and Salutations....

diagonally?     Or...to be more interesting....glue up a panel out of triangles that has the grain radiating from a point in the center. This works great for ALL shapes of table from round to rectangular!     However, the fact of the matter is that while it REALLY does not matter, as grain direction is a matter of taste, I prefer to run the grain along the LONG axis of the top. That just looks "better" to me.     Regards     Dave Mundt
In this case there is no LONG axis. The top is a square.

Well, make it 1/4" longer in one direction! ;-)
For email, use Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com

Dave, which axis is "long" on a square table? :)
dave
Dave Mundt wrote:

*THAT* one! It's obvious by looking at it.
(I've got astigmatism -- things which *are* square, don't _look_ it. :)

By convention, the side-to-side axis. It's to do with perspective. If you look at a square table, you see the front-to-back distance as being foreshortened.
    Greetings and Salutations....

button.     In that case, I would suggest putting the top so the grain either runs left to right across the side with a drawer, or, as I suggested in another post, make a double book-match, so you have four triangles of grain, each running out from the center.     Regards     Dave Mundt
I guess it's too late to vote for diagonal, huh?
With a drawer, I'd have to vote for left to right or right to left, depending.
ARM