Silly Sounding Question about Socks

I know this is going to sound silly, but I have to ask because it is driving me nuts.

How do you guys deal with keeping splinters and miniscule bits of wood out of your socks? I usually wear jeans and sneakers out in the shop and I always seem to get bits of crap lodged in my socks and can never seem to get rid of them. The worst part is when I put the socks on after they've been washed and have the itching and poking start all over again.

I figured you guys have been doing this a lot longer than I so _someone_ has had to run into this problem before.

Thanks, Rob

Rob Walters

Wear workboots w/ no socks ;) (Seriously - works for me)

Reply to
Rob V

When this happens to me it's usually an indication it's time to sweep the floor. ;-)

Nova

Well Rob, ...(did I just hear a whirring sound of a reel...?) ... I usually wear pants that are long enough to cover my socks (uh, huh, just heard a sploosh...) which prevents any wood splinters from ...(hmmmm...looks like a thin poly line laying on top of the water there)... getting into my socks and shoes. Now if your still wearing short britches, then I suggest you take some ...(there's that whirring sound again...) duct tape and wrap each leg from about the knee down to your ankles which...(uh,ho....ever get that feeling you've been reeled in?) will stop those nasty miniscule bits of wood from getting into your socks. (time to cut this suckers line and let him live another day...)

You were trolling...right?

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

Gee, Rob all my splinters end up on my hands. Can't say as I've had trouble with wood in my socks, but now that you've mentioned it, I'm sure tomorrow one of my feet will be impaled. :)

dave

Rob Walters wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Get used to it or a new hobby.

Reply to
Rumpty

Don't wear sneakers in your workshop!

Cheers

Frank

Reply to
Frank McVey

from Firestone tires and I kept falling over. Sometime when I am making a cabinet or table, I drop my hatchet, so anyway, going barefoot didn't work out neither, so now I sneak my mother in law's socks and wear them. I leave the old socks under her pillow. Bueno suerte.

Reply to
juan fandango

Honestly, no. Although I can see why you might suspect that as it _is_ a rather off-the-wall question. It's an honest to goodness problem I have. I suppose for safety sake, I'll take Rob V's suggestion and buy some boots, although boots with no socks...that can't smell too wonderful :)

I don't wear high-water pants, but have been known to wear shorts in the summer time (it gets a bit warm in Atlanta in the summer). It seems to happen most when I am cutting plywood on the table saw, even with the dust collector running, the dust collection on my contractor's saw isn't quite ideal, and dust manages to find its way out on to the floor and me.

Thanks for all your replies... Rob

Reply to
Rob Walters

If SWMBO didn't wash'em right, send'em back and tell her to do it over again. :)

Anyway, unless I'm wearing socks with sandals or slippers in the shop (which I avoid because I get a lot of splinters in my socks that way) I don't really have a problem getting splinters in my socks.

It's a non-issue really. Like wondering how to avoid getting a lot of little nicks and cuts on your legs when you weed-eat in shorts... Don't weed-eat in shorts.

Reply to
Silvan

Man, you must be new. Efficient dust collection is soooo important. Do a google search for "Downdraft floors."

Basically, you drill a 1/2" hole every 4 to 6 inches in your floor and hook up a Trane commercial hvac blower to some duct work that connects to a "dust pan" that you build under your floor, sized to your shop. Seal the perimeter well, and oh, do be careful to avoid drilling through the floor joists. DAMHIKT. Bob's yer uncle, no more dust in yer Keds.

Concrete floors? No problem. Google for "Updraft roofs." Same principle, with the added bonus of fuller, bouncier, body in your hair.

"Hope this helps," Michael

Reply to
Michael Baglio

cleans me up pretty quick. Athletic cotton crew socks not a problem.

Reply to
Phisherman

I wear things called 'boot guards'. Basically they are a "skirt" that goes around your ankles which are made of material that splinters don't attach to. (Mine are made of the same material that a dry-as-a-bone jacket is made from, for all you Aussies). Get your missus to make you up some. . . .AKA SWMBO within this newsgroup!

BTW - I called my wife that the other day, she wasn't impressed let me assure you! ;-)

Ash

Reply to
Ashley

That's Drizabone, mate. :) (No, I ain't no stinkin' Ozzie, I just have one of those things. Best raincoat I've ever had too, I must say.)

Dunno. I pronounce it "swimbo" and have taken to calling Renee that often. She likes the whole "must be obeyed" part of it, though she's long been resigned to the fact that it ain't so. Key to our marriage. I don't give a crap what she wants me to do, and she doesn't give a crap what I want her to do. We get along fine. :)

Reply to
Silvan

Is that actually a problem...???? OK, this is no longer the 50's when rolling up the cuffs of your Blue Jeans and exposing your white socks was in style. ;~) Just make sure your pants are long enough to be in style and you should be OK.

Reply to
Leon

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 20:12:12 -0500, "Rob Walters" brought forth from the murky depths:

REAL men don't wear socks.

Try an apron. If that doesn't help, get the dust collector system you should already be using. It'll keep a lot of the pieces and dust from flying in the first place.

-- SAVE THE PARROTS! Eschew the use of poly! ----------

Poly-free Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Just smelt my under arms after a days work. . . . how'd ya' know?!

What happens when you *request* that your socks get rewashed when they still have splinters in em' mate! I think my wife just got herself a new nick name! ;-)

Reply to
Ashley

I always wear steel toed boots in the workshop. Too many big heavy things looking to fall on them to do otherwise, and it keeps the splinters out too.

Andy Dingley

Might have something to do with the type of socks you're wearing. I've had this problem frequently with wool socks, but never with cotton.

Doug Miller

Well, first she takes my socks and sets them to the side. Then she gets down on her hands and knees, unzips my fly...

Takes out a butcher knife, and reminds me that Lorena Bobbitt is her all-time favorite heroine and tells me to wash my own damn socks and load the dishwasher while I'm at it. ;)

(You can hear the whip cracking noises all the way on the upside down half of the planet, can't you?)

Reply to
Silvan