Silly Question about Jigs - --

Page 3 of 4
Sounds like someone who is wrong a lot and gets tired of being reminded of it.

of
These
what
of
Been making sawdust for 48 years and never heard of anything but jigs and I didn't read a book to get this info. Have never heard another woodworker call them anything else either But when you really come down to it does it really matter what you call them ??? Doohickey sounds good, so does thingamafrig Geez I hope I haven't insulted anyone here

happened
number
jig.
and
gave
not
(which
jigs -

On 12 Dec 2003 19:06:22 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (MHaseltine) wrote:

People like that are why auctioneers carry gavels.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (MHaseltine) wrote:

My wife works at the corporate HQ for a hi-tech computer company here in Oregon. That thingie between the buildings with the ducks swimming in and geese milling around it, with the trees overhanging, with the cat-tails and lilypads, and croaking frogs is NOT a pond, but a...
"water feature ".
Changint it from old "pond" to the new "water feature" lets the contractor mark-up at least 40% right off the bat! <s>
--
SwampBug
---------------------
On 12 Dec 2003 19:06:22 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (MHaseltine) wrote:

And my silly answer is:
If they are moving in 3/4 time, to a fairly fast tempo, they are prolly Jigs. At a slower tempo they might be Waltzes. If the 3/4 is further tortured to a 6/8 and sprightly done (with more than one), a Tarantella.
A "fixture" seems a sad name for a dance.
BTW: The guy who mentioned the differentiation in nomenclature - he's called an "asshole".
Regards, Tom Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania 19428 http://users.snip.net/~tjwatson
(MHaseltine) wrote:

Don't forget about slip-jigs, reels, airs, slow airs, marches, strathspeys, strathspey airs & polkas
<snip>

Oh, man, you gotta watch that--some people find that word offensive.
Trying not to laugh, H
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (MHaseltine) wrote in message

My guess is that a jig and a fixture are one and the same except a jig is a one time thing and a fixture is a jig that is used all the time, hench a fixture in the shop.
The definition has been given in this thread and that was not it.

Oh ya? Why not?
Are you really that stupid? No need to reply, the answer is obvious.

Then why reply? The definition given in this thread is nebulous, contradictory and uncertain at best, fuck head.

jig
time,
Don't bother. CW's a tool.
Hey JofT,
This is a good example of a change that is *not* owing to political correctness, so the perceived "victims" of this usage are not personally offended and usually won't rake you over the coals for it. They leave that to the rich guilty pampered northern white chicks (oops, did I say something wrong?).
It's just a geocentric term. Asians who want to make a buck here could give a shit...
H.
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (T.) wrote in message (Chris)

T. wrote:

Because you live in North Cackalacky.
I believe SOME people have been reading WAY TOO MUCH Noam Chomsky "literature".

happened
number
jig.
and
gave
not
(which
jigs -

Jigs hold or guide a tool - ie: kreg pocket hole jig, router templates. Fixtures hold or guide work, therefore, the miter sled and tennoning 'jig' are fixtures.
Ian

tennoning
person
and
netnews.comcast.net wrote:

Who?
;)
--
Mark

N.E. Ohio
Honestly, your all wrong,
anyone who's anyone knows their thingmummybobs
;-)
Signal

tennoning
person