Silicon spray on Table saw blade

Same here.

I really like Waxilit after using Top Cote and clones, Top Saver, paste wax, canning wax, etc...

I initially bought Waxilit as a glue resist, but tried it on the iron based on the suggestion on the can.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Yes Johnson's wax does work well for many. Others in other locations require a better solution. Yeah I'm in Houston, with its humidity. My shop in my garage facing North. Facing north does make a difference. Living somewhat near the coast the prevailing southerly winds bring in moist air from the gulf. Typically southern exposed surfaces will rust more quickly than the northern facing surfaces. I suspect that there is a trace of salt mixed in with that southern breeze.

Reply to
Leon

Wow, I forgot about the salt. I've lived in the Great Lakes region my entire life, and we tend not to think about sort of thing here. Folks from other parts of the world do: I remember reading a few years ago about a German tourist visiting the beach in Milwaukee who fell asleep on an air mattress and drifted out into the lake. The Coast Guard rescued him the next morning, suffering from sunburn (of course) and dehydration. What?? Dehydration? In Lake Michigan? Then it dawned on me. Tourist. German. The guy is definitely Not From Around Here. Probably never even crossed his mind that the water might be *fresh*. Might not have crossed yours, either, if you've lived in Houston all your life, but if you grow up around the Great Lakes as I did, salt water is the novelty. :-)

Reply to
Doug Miller

IIRC when I was researching Waxilit its was developed for the purpose of protecting and slicking up the exposed surfaces of machinery.

I started using these specially formulated protestants in the late 80's. TopCote was owned by the people that make Empire products and the product came in pump bottles.. Apparently they sold the product to Bostitch and it was has since been packaged in a pressurized aerosol. Empire Top Saver, Top Lube, etc made by the original makers of TopCote is pretty good stuff also. Their products come in the familiar pump bottles.

Anyway after about 6 years of using TopCote I decided to use the Empire Top Saver product on my TS top. I squirted the product all over the top and then laid a Scotch Brite pad on the surface, set my ROS on top of the pad and proceeded to work the surface over. Wow, the surface was nice and clean looking again. Since that treatment the top has been even more resistant to rust although I still use TopCote regularly.

Reply to
Leon

I have a couple of Freud blades that have a teflon coating, so obviously at least one blade manufacturer thinks a coating is worthwhile. According to Freud, it "helps reduce friction, heat build-up, and gumming ? which prolongs the life of the blade".

I also have a Forrest Woodworker II which is arguably the best available general purpose blade, and it has no coating. I do spray it with a dry lubricant each time after I clean the pitch off. Does it make a difference? I don't know, but I figure it doesn't hurt.

Reply to
Jim Weisgram

Sorry if this is redundant but I have not followed this thread until now.

My advice? Well, as long as someone asked. Are you nuts? Keep silicon away from wood, tools, anything that might come into contact with wood. Bad stuff when it comes to trying to fifnish your project. Can anyone say fisheyes? Once the surface is contaminated, close to impossible to get rid of it.

Harvey

Reply to
eclipsme