Silicon spray on Table saw blade

Page 2 of 2

I have seen it at Home Depot, near the lubricants section, WD40, White Lithium Grease, 3 in 1 oil and so on. IIRC it comes in a round metal container with a pry off lid very similar in shape to Johnson's Paste Wax,

I haven't tried it. How do you apply and does it dry quickly?
It looks like the price is right if it works well.
Mike O.
Joe wrote:

I have a Harbor Fright spray can that you pressurize with the air hose. In it I use paraffin wax dissolved in mineral spirits. Just spritz a little on and rub it in with a paper towel. For stained areas I rub it with a green scuffing pad then wipe off. This seems to help prevent rust and makes the surface slippery. It also helps on lathe ways and vise screws and doesn't catch dust. Good to dip wood screw threads in (and allow to dry, not to use wet).
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

If you REALLY need to lubricate your table saw blade, you probably need a better table saw. There is no substitute for horsepower.
On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 19:56:12 -0500, "Walter H. Klaus"

I have a couple of Freud blades that have a teflon coating, so obviously at least one blade manufacturer thinks a coating is worthwhile. According to Freud, it "helps reduce friction, heat build-up, and gumming which prolongs the life of the blade".
I also have a Forrest Woodworker II which is arguably the best available general purpose blade, and it has no coating. I do spray it with a dry lubricant each time after I clean the pitch off. Does it make a difference? I don't know, but I figure it doesn't hurt.
Jim Weisgram wrote:

Sorry if this is redundant but I have not followed this thread until now.
My advice? Well, as long as someone asked. Are you nuts? Keep silicon away from wood, tools, anything that might come into contact with wood. Bad stuff when it comes to trying to fifnish your project. Can anyone say fisheyes? Once the surface is contaminated, close to impossible to get rid of it.
Harvey