Sifting through the junk

To the august members of the board:

While doing some volunteer work at a local high school recently, I ran across several woodworking machines in an old storeroom. I didn't have a chance to look at them very long, but I'm sure they had seen better days, or they wouldn't have been replaced. However, they all appeared intact.

When I inquired about them, I was told I'd have to go through the schoolboard, and bid on them.

Question is, without much more than rudimentary mechanical knowledge, and no way to thoroughly check them out (as of yet), are these things even worth considering?

Briefly, what I saw:

  1. Delta-Rockwell RAS - looked like a 10" 2. Powermatic planer - about 12" or so (old floor model) 3. Delta - Rockwell jigsaw 4. Delta - Rockwell 8" jointer 5. Two Delta-Rockwell bandsaws (I'm guessing 14 inches)

Are parts available, and assuming they work, but are worn, what would be a decent bid? What should be the primary things to look for to determine whether or not they are wore out, and not worth the effort?

(Note: the email address is a sink, please do not reply privately - thanks.)

Reply to
Jolly

[snip]

The *first* thing I'd check is the motors. If they're single-phase, fine. Three-phase, I'd walk away. There's been a lot of discussion here recently about the merits or drawbacks of three-phase equipment; do a Google Groups search for it. IMO, it ain't worth the hassle or expense.

Doug Miller

Don't let the three phase motors totally rule out the purchase. At least on some of the tools-if you can get them for a good price, you can replace the motor and control. Just figure it into your total cost.

Reply to
ToolMiser

Thanks folks. A motor checkin' I go....

Reply to