Side fence for DW621 Router

I've got a DW621 which I'm generally very pleased with. (BTW thanks for everyone's help on this a while back). However, I find that the side fence is kinda lame - I know it has the dust extraction, but I think that compromises the stability and overall usefulness of it.

I'd rather have a fully-cast fence for it. Does anyone knof of a replacement that fits? The one that comes with the Trend T5 looks OK, but I'm not sure if it's the same fit...

TIA, Matthew

Reply to
Matthew Whyte

I'm a little confused - fence/dust collection/stability. But if you're looking for a precision edge guide - one that will let you adjust the bit position relative to an edge, straight or curved, this one will do it. He has a part that connects it to a DW621 cause I've got it (and it works as advertised) Ain't cheap but things that are built this well and work this well seldom are.

charlie b ps - if you ever decide to put your DW621 in a router table and want to use it's fine height adjuster then have a look at the DooHickey

charlie b

Would you consider making your own fence? It wouldn't be that hard and you could make it as stable as you want. If you're interested I'll make a drawing for you. You ought to be able to work out the details easily enough.

Reply to
Dave

Here's another height adjuster for the DW621. Works great because it squeezes the base plate and motor together and the adjust is centered over the motor. It is also very inexpensive and quick to make.

are available...from me.

Reply to
Dave

I'm a shameless person when someone offers to give something really useful. I'd love to have details about your height adjustment and a drawing for the fence you mention.

Best regards, Bob Davis Houston, Texas

Reply to
BillyBob

Slick idea - and uses existing threaded holes, also handy. Is that all-thread or did you use rod stock and thread the ends?

If you take the plastic dust collection thing off you can pick up some more bit height. Also makes it easier to get to the collet nut.

Noticed your insert place has no set screw adjustment to get it level with the table top. You that good routing or were you very lucky?

Thanks for the idea.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

Charlie, you've got most of the details right. 6mm all thread from the base to the cross bar. Nuts and lockwashers lock the rod in place on the base and on the cross bar. Cross bar is a scrap of oak. Tee nut on the bottom of the cross bar midway between the all thread supports. Chunk of 3/8-16 all thread with a knob on one end and brass acorn nut on the other.

The picture was taken shortly after I first made it. Later I shortened the rods up a bit. I just stuck it together quickly and didin't measure anything because I needed to use it. It probably took me less than fifteen minutes to make.

Bob, I hope that's enough detail for you.

As to the edge guide, I'll do a drawing and post it on Monday.

Charlie, that plate on the router is a Bench Dog plate. Levelling screws are in the table on Bench Dog tables. Those big clear plates are nice when hand holding the router, too.

Reply to
Dave

promised, here's a drawing on an edge guide for the DW621. It could be made for other routers, too. I just based the dimensions on the DW621 since it was the router in question. I have an idea for a different fence but haven't had time to draw it yet. It would make it easier to track around the edge of a round table top for example.

The fence was designed to be removable and a handle could be installed on the top giving an enlarged base for stability even when you don't care about guiding on an edge.

It was designed to be made from readily accessible materials and should be within the grasp of even the most basic woodworker.

Dimensions could be had upon request.

Dave

Reply to
Dave