Shutter finishing

Just got some Plantation shutters for the living room and bedrooms. SWMBO wanted the unfinished kind so that we could match them to the Oak window frames. The shutters and shutter frame are very lite (and ligjht) wood. I have poly'd a sample they sent us and it darkens up very nice and compliments the Oak frames, but I dread sanding the first two coats of poly.... Any thoughts on other finishes would be appreciated.
Dave in Northern Colorado

I have plantation shutters too. I recall it was a very time-consuming process to paint them. I used a brush and the result was very good. I was careful not to get the paint into the moving mechanism. You could thin down the first two coats of poly and your wife can help you with the light sanding chores.