Shuffleboard table - Formica vs. solid maple playing surface?

I am planning to build a shuffleboard table, and I am considering putting a Formica (or similar) laminate on the playing surface instead of making it solid hard maple. Has anyone built or played on one with a Formica type surface? Is this a bad idea?
Durability and flatness is my primary objective.
Thanks, Randy

The Formica will be as flat at the surface that you flue it to. It will wear.
"Randy A" wrote:
> I am planning to build a shuffleboard table, and I am considering putting a > Formica (or similar) laminate on the playing surface instead of making it > solid hard maple. Has anyone built or played on one with a Formica type > surface? Is this a bad idea? > > Durability and flatness is my primary objective.
No good reasons for the following except my belt & suspenders approach to things.
I'd build the table using a 2x4 construction lumber frame covered by a piece of 3/4" plywood, then covered by a piece of 3/4" MDF, then finally laminate a piece of counter grade laminate to the MDF.
Very heavy, but "hell for stout" as the old German used to say.
Lew

I would love to have one! Sadly, I could never convince my lovely bride I need one. As for building one, I would think if a laminate surface was better, the original ones would be made that way.
Dave