Shuffleboard table - Formica vs. solid maple playing surface?

I am planning to build a shuffleboard table, and I am considering putting a Formica (or similar) laminate on the playing surface instead of making it solid hard maple. Has anyone built or played on one with a Formica type surface? Is this a bad idea?

Durability and flatness is my primary objective.

Thanks, Randy

Reply to
Randy A

The Formica will be as flat at the surface that you flue it to. It will wear.

Reply to
Leon

No good reasons for the following except my belt & suspenders approach to things.

I'd build the table using a 2x4 construction lumber frame covered by a piece of 3/4" plywood, then covered by a piece of 3/4" MDF, then finally laminate a piece of counter grade laminate to the MDF.

Very heavy, but "hell for stout" as the old German used to say.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I would love to have one! Sadly, I could never convince my lovely bride I need one. As for building one, I would think if a laminate surface was better, the original ones would be made that way.

Dave

Reply to
Teamcasa