Show Me Your TS Cross Cut Sled

Page 1 of 3
Alrighty... I started on my cross cut sled. It's a sheet of 1/2 melamine about 2x3' with two runners.
It slides nice and easy with no wiggle. I'm getting ready to put the front and back cross pieces on and possible a blade guard. I'm also pondering what to do as an adjustable miter gauge, clamps, etc.
So, show me yours. What have you done that works well. What doesn't? What mistakes did you make? All that stuff...
--

-MIKE-

On 1/17/2010 12:41 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

Cheap (made from scraps), Simple Forward travel limited by stopped slots in outfeed table.

What there is of it, works well.

Left out blade guards.

Photos at http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Projects/CrosscutSled /
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Morris Dovey wrote:

On 1/17/2010 9:25 AM, Doug Winterburn wrote:

Fill your tank and head for Iowa, then. It's a spare and you're welcome to it.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
On 1/17/10 1:09 AM, Morris Dovey wrote:

Hadn't thought of stops. Thanks.

Simple and effective. SMO from you.
--

-MIKE-

Made a set of stop blocks that clamp into the saw table's t-slots. Haven't found them all that useful with a sled. Just keep your thumbs out of the blade's path. If you accidentally nick your sled's aft blade guard cover, it's not that big a deal.

First, I think melamine is a mistake. You want the top side to be grippy, not slippy. melamine also offers a low strenght to weight ratio. I used a (full) 1/4" plywood product and tt has served me well. Not sure what it's called but it's a 5 or 7-ply floor underlayment product that goes for a about $20 for a 4x5 sheet. Sand an wax the bottom for "sliption"
My first couple were like Morris' but I found them too bulky for most use. I still have a big one, but my the sled that I reach for for 95% of my crosscutting need has the following properties: * a single runner, http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2003178/8288/INCRA-Miter-Slider-24.aspx * about 20 wide by 16 deep * fence is a lamination of 3 layers of 3/4" cabinet-grade plywood scrap (stable, free and consistent) * fence has a "dust gap" cut in the bottom front edge. This sled operates best with the fence in the back and the right edge flush to the blade, but it can be used fence-forward to the right of the blade when necessary.
Think multiples....one sled will not do it all (well).
-Steve
Stephen
Any chance you could post a pic or two of your sled(s)? Russ

Posted to ABPW.
Subj: "Yet another sled"
Thanks Russ

On 1/21/10 7:29 AM, StephenM wrote:

Hate to be a PITA, but any chance you could post them on the web to any number of the dozens of free picture sites.
Several of us use one of the following...
http://picasaweb.google.com http://photobucket.com / http://www.flickr.com /
--

-MIKE-

september.org:

Take a look here: http://www.delorie.com/wood/abpw /
The guy who owns the site used to post here. I haven't seen a post from him in quite a while, though.
Puckdropper
This one from the WoodSmithShop is simple and neat.
http://tinyurl.com/ycf73f9
Lew
I see one huge flaw in that design:
The stop has to be completely unthreaded and removed to accommodate a board longer than the sled is wide. An F-clamp with a block arguably less fuss.
Maybe if the back corner of the stop block were radiused so that it could rotate up and out of the way of 1-by stock it would be better.
-Steve

"StephenM" wrote:

Not sure I'd call it a "huge" flaw, but more of a minor inconvenience.
As built the sled would allow at least 30" long repetitive cuts using the stop.
Beyond 30" wide(long) pieces, the stop would have to be removed.
My guess is less than 5% of my cross cut pieces are more than 30" long.
YMMV
Lew
On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 07:27:22 -0800, Lew Hodgett wrote:

But the other end needs to be squared before you cut it to 30"

On 1/22/10 10:32 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

Rough cut with any saw to 30+"
--

-MIKE-

That said, a simple solution is to put a spacer board between the fence and the workpiece to allow it to extend past the stop block.
I know this because I frequently set up my stop block and then realize that I had not yet squared up my ends.
-Steve
On 1/22/10 12:55 PM, StephenM wrote:

Yeah, that exactly why I used the term.
You make a rough cut close to the finished size, then a final cut on the sled.
Pretty much standard practice for large stock.
--

-MIKE-

On 1/22/10 1:51 AM, Puckdropper wrote:

Thanks. Used to have that bookmarked and lost it.... re-bookmarked.
--

-MIKE-