Should I use polyurethane over bolid linseed oil?

I finished oak desk with two coats of boiled linseed oil. Should I protect it with polyurethane?

I would apply a couple of coats of polyurethane or at least a few coats of shellac.....
Randy http://nokeswoodworks.com

Yes I would think that for a desk you would want a good hard smooth surface. Water-based polyurethane can be applied over de-waxed shellac. I"ve used orange (amber) shellac to warm up the color of oak and then applied water-based poyurethane with a pad.
--
FF

I've done it many times. Be sure to sand the surface of the Linseed Oil to give the polyurethane something to adhere to.
Charley

Not necessary, in my experience.
Oil based polyurethane and/or vanishes (Waterlox, Rockhard) will adhere perfectly to surface colored with BLO.
I use BLO as a colorant under shellac, oil based finishes, lacquer, and water based lacquers. All will stick perfectly if the oil is dry. If the oil is not dry, waterbased finishes will fisheye, and oil based and shellac finishes will get "blooms", yellowish spots where the oil is weeping underneath.
My favorite way to color with BLO is "Robert's Sealer" as it dries extremely fast (10 times faster than straight BLO), and slightly seals the surface. WB can go right over this. It's made with 1/3 each of BLO, Seal Coat or dewaxed shellac, and real turpentine.
"B A R R Y" wrote:

Since the BLO needs to be cut with turps (Per instructions on container) anyway, what does adding shellac do for you?
Lew
On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 21:01:37 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"

Fast sealing. Try it yourself, it's fantastic. I have not yet found a better product for a natural look on any species of oak. Much more user friendly and faster than thinned BLO or "Natural" stains. _NO_ bleed back, overcoat with anything the next day.
One comment, though... "Turps", the modified stuff, is not the same as "Turpentine", maybe it'll work, maybe it won't.
Turpentine, as in the 100% pine tree stuff, works well.
"B A R R Y" wrote:

Must say I have developed a fondness for white oak and BLO, then finished off with just bees wax cut with turps and BLO.
Not much protectiion, but there are no longer small kids around.
What cut shellac do you use?
Lew
On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 03:35:11 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"

Seal Coat, straight from the can, which I think is 2lb.
Remember, mineral sprits based "Turps" won't work, only pine sap based Turpentine will do.
I mix it in a squeeze bottle, as it needs to be continuously shaken as it's used. Squirt it on, rag it evenly, wipe again 10 minutes later with a dry rag, ready for any top coat the next day. You can also sand it and recoat, if desired.
"B A R R Y" wrote:

Let your sniffern be your guide, love the smell of the good stuff.<G>

I'll keep this one handy, thanks.
BTW, what ratio shellac?
1 BLO, 2 turps, ? shellac.
Lew

i use 1:1:1
On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 14:07:58 -0700, "charlie"

C'mon! You can't express it _that_ simply! <G>
There's got to be some sort of special tool for measuring the ingredients.

there is. an old jelly jar with sharpie marks on the side.
On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 14:37:57 -0700, "charlie"

Is it calibrated with to sub-micron precision? <G>
On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 20:59:02 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"

33.3333333333333333% each