Should I try to reface my kitchen cabinets?

Page 2 of 2

: Swing and Nail give good advice. Lately, I have been doing some : countertops for customers who took the plunge and bought some Ikea : kitchen cabinets. It surprised me to see that, if installed properly, : the quality is certainly good value... aka a lot of bang for your : buck. : You can do the design right on line and they'll ship it all flat, to : your door.
Second that. We are redoing our kitchen with Ikea cabinets, and I am really impressed with their quality. Hardware, finishes, everything is very good, much better than I've seen on more expensive cabinets.
    -- Andy Barss
"The easiest thing to do now would be to paint the stupid ones we have white but I dont think that is an option. I know of no paint that would stick to it so I have not even tried to paint them. "
HomeDepot sells a white paint product designed as a base coat for your cabinets - spray it on and you can get an "automotive" finish.
"What if I found decent 1/4" plywood and skin the cabinets using small brads and paint the stupid things white? "
Wouldn't do it, not prudent. Existing surface would be better base than plywood for paint.
"throw a new Formica countertop on, slap some paint on the wall, and install a new light fixture "
Have HD come out and measure - pay the $20 fee for this to get the top right the first time. Mine turned a corner so I bult my top myself ratherthan have that joint at the mitre - gets wet, swells and seperates.
"I will have to buy twelve standard size doors, two smaller doors, five small drawer fronts, and two larger drawer fronts.
The prices on these will shock the hell out of you. You can actually buy those white KD cabintes from HD/LOWES for less than the cost of doors and refinishing skin (also sold at HD/Lowes) which is much better than (God no!) using Luan!
"I figure I can get away with only a fraction of what we would spend if we did it right."
Go re-figure! Go down to Lowes or HD Kitchen Design Center and get an estimate on new cabinets and some design help - you may find a few good ideas in the process (maybe a 30 or 36" Pan Drawer Base Cabinet will fit and may the wife fall in loove all over again - mine did!

Asked and answered.
"I don't see that it would be that hard. I cut everything to size correctly before I start?"
Oh yee of little experience.
" reasonably sure, that my countertop was connected to the cabinets using Liquid Nails. If they used Liquid Nails, is there a snowball's chance in hell that I can remove the countertop??
If a homeowner did the job, Glue is as likely as not. If pro's did it, it is more likely that they screwed up from gussets in the cabinets into the bottom of the counter top.
Use Piano wire like a garot to cut through liquid nails - or one of thise wire saws if it was glued down. Either way, you can remove the top - be careful, of course.
This site has good price for many products. I have used it many time. http://www.thehardwarecity.com /
--
rocco754