Should I try to reface my kitchen cabinets?

Also depends on what kind of "white". White melamine will take a beating. So will white 2K polyurethane or white catalyzed lacquer. Yeah, it will show dirt, but the dirt generally cleans off pretty easily. White Home Depot latex, not so much.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Maybe, maybe not. White shows dirt more, but it has been used in countless kitchens and has held up very well. My personal experience with clear finishes on wood kitchen cabinets is that most shops use a rather thin layer that doesn't hold up for more than a year or so near wear point (knobs, by the sink, etc.). A *good* finish of any type will hold up fine.

For painting bookshelves (not quite the same thing, I know, but I've not finished a kitchen cabinet in 25+ years) I strongly recommend a high-end oil-based alkyd enamel paint. I use Benjamin-Moore. You have to allow it to dry for at least a week and is best to let it cure for a month before using it, but it produces a high-gloss, very durable and washable finish.

Just a quick check back on your project - are these manufactured home cabinets? If so, you probably can't do anything to improve them. Most of them are absolute minimal junk and not worth even a coat of paint.

Tim Douglass

of a teenager: God's punishment for enjoying sex.

Reply to
Tim Douglass

This site has good price for many products. I have used it many time.

rocco754