Should I pick up this No. 5 Bailey/stanly plane?

Having trouble dating it, a Bailey No 5. with blue body in very very good condition at a local pawnshop for $29.95.
The Iron has not been sharpened correctly, there was no rust. The handles are wood. The iron has Stanley on it and made in the usa. The cap iron has a kidney shapped hole.
The frog had c on one side and 7 on the other.
Alan
On 18 Oct 2003 18:37:03 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net (Alan W) wrote:

Hi Alan, The blue paint is a giveaway. Type 20 from 1962 on. See http://www.hyperkitten.com/tools/stanley_bench_plane/dating / I would personally look around for something a little older. I recently found a Type 18 (1946-7) in fair shape for $19 at an antique store.
Paul.
Buy it, tune it and use it. If you really must, do a little self hypnosis and convince yourself it was made before WWII. You will not be able to do any better work with something older.
(Alan W)

On 18 Oct 2003 18:37:03 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net (Alan W) wrote:

Blue ? No.
It'll work, but you'll get a better one off eBay. #5's are common.
(Alan W)

Thank you gentleman, I will pass on the plane as there have been a number on Ebay for under $20 with the shipping of late.
Alan
snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net (Alan W) wrote in message (Alan W)

For less money too.

Yep. At the Damascus, MD annual tool sale and auction, or the Washington Woodworker's guild meetings with tool sales I've never been able to sell a cleaned-up pre WWII #5 with Rosewood tote and knob for more than $15.00.
--

FF

Fred the Red Shirt wrote:

Tell me more! I've never heard of the Damascus sale or the the WWG. Have any web sites I could check out? Thanks.
--
Donnie Vazquez
Sunderland, MD