Should I lay folil between the old wooden floor and the new floor.

We're about to have a new floor fitted on the ground floor of our house. I recently removed the floor covering of linoleum and chipboard to reveal the original wooden floorboards. The new floor will be laid on top of the old flooring but should we put either brown paper or foil in between? The new floor will be oak 25mm thick, 20cm wide and lengths of 4.5 mtr. Any other tips you could offer? house has a space of 0.5 mtr below the floor has adequate ventilation and dry.

Reply to
kenny

The ground in the crawl space should be covered with a plastic vapor barrier. Either rosin paper of building felt (aka tar paper, building paper) is standard. Foil would furnish no additional benefit.

RicodJour

When the flooring guys install solid wood floors here, they always use felt (tar paper) between the sub-floor and the new wood floor. This will help with squeaks and probably any moisture from below although here, heated basements are the norm.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

Mon, Nov 6, 2006, 6:06am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@worldemail.com (RicodJour) doth sayeth: Foil would furnish no additional benefit.

Oh, I don't know about that. If you wear foil caps you'd probably think foil essential.

JOAT If you're not making a rocket, it ain't rocket science.

Reply to
J T

A "Good One" JOAT! Thanks for the laugh.

Reply to
Charley