Should I Finish Bed Slats?

Page 2 of 2
Silvan responds:

Atkins diet?
Seriously, when we bought a new bad early last year, they guys who delivered it ran screws into the strip for the slats at each end of each slat. I heard some creaking and checked the slats: not just pine, but knotty pine. I made oak slats a week later. No more problems.
Charlie Self
"Middle age is when your age starts to show around your middle." Bob Hope
Charlie Self wrote:

Hell no. Everyone I know who's gone on that has become completely annoying.
I *am* actually losing weight, but I'm doing it the most sustainable way. I'm eating exactly the same food. The main thing is I stop eating when I'm no longer hungry instead of when I can't jam another porkchop down my pie hole.
I'm not dropping weight overnight, but I'm getting pretty close to having to punch a new hole in my belt to keep my pants up. The damn scale says I haven't lost anything at all, but the fact remains that my most recent pants are so loose that I can jump out of them, and my old pants are reasonably comfortable. If I keep this up, I'll be back in the stuff I was wearing in college before too much longer. (Well, except I gave it all to Goodwill in despair at about the time I bought the fat pants... :)

Our slats are decidedly crappy too. I didn't say that. We distribute only the finest products.
There are 14 slats because I didn't buy a boxspring, thereby saving nearly $200 and freeing up space under the bed for rolling drawer units that I'll make later. All the slats are clear wood. I think it will be strong enough.
As to weight, I decided a couple of years ago that I don't want to watch what I eat, so I run 20-30 miles per week all year and paddle my sea kayak (hard, long and fast) every day in the warm weather. Dropped 25 lbs. in 6 months and am also nearly at college weight.

How does the absence of a box spring free up space UNDER the bed?
The box spring gives support to the mattress...inch for inch. Yer not gonna get that same 100% support with the slats...although with *14* of them yer gonna be close! lol
You might consider putting a sheet of plywood under the mattress...or at least on top of some of the slats
And you probably realize you won't get the same kind of comfort that you would with the addition of the box springs.
Have a nice week...
Trent
Certified breast self-exam subcontractor.
On 22 Oct 2003 08:15:47 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) pixelated:

Wouldn't tacking on small stop pieces be safer than notching structural members, Charlie? Or how about a nylon strap from head to toe with crown staples in each slat?
---- A mostly meat-powered woodworker, and proud of it. http://diversify.com Website Application Programming