shortening drill bits

I have a jig for drilling 5mm holds at 32mm intervals to comply with the European cabinet system.
Most drill bits are 3-4" in length. Why don't we have shorter bits for this type of work? A shorter bit would seem more managable and would be easier to control with a hand drill.
Question: Could a standard bit be cut and resharpened to accomplish this?
I agree that in some cases shorter bits might have advantages, and when this occurs you can "cut, break, or whatever" a bit to meet those requirements and resharpen it. However after you do this you have a short life bit that may not be able to be resharpened. I prefer to use the depth stop on my drill press and keep my bits long as long as I can.

Try using depth stops on the bit itself, they are available in most common sizes & generally tighten on with one or two flush allen key head screws. I have a set of 8 that I think came from Vermont American (not 100% sure).
--
Jon Down

Yes they can, any machine shop can handle the task for you. a surface grinder with a whirly gig can shorten the bit and put you cutting edge back on. You could do this yourself with a die grinder to cut it off,clean up the burr, and a neat little tool called a "Drill Doctor" to resharpen the bit. HTH, Ken

Just a thought. Why not cut a little off the end that goes into the drill? Surely seems simpler than recutting the tip.
On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 12:01:38 -0500, "Ken Lamb"

The web of a twist drill bit gets thicker further away from the point. See my other post on this subject for a far better and more cost effective solution.
wrote in message

Hi -
Don't forget that some of that bit length is used to carry chips up through fixtures or guide bushings...
There are drills designed for single purpose uses such as you describe, they just generally have no appeal for consumers...
Cheers -
Rob
Maybe im missing something - but why not just break off the other end of the bit?
I have snapped a few bits before - and just rechucked them - just need to make sure the jaws dont grab in the flutes.

Drill bits are available in a variety of lengths and what you're looking for is called a stub drill which is about 1 inch shorter than a standard bit. Probably not available from the Borg (never been there I'm in the UK) but any decent supplier should be able to help. The problem with shortening a standard bit is that the flutes get shallower as you move towards the shank which may cause problems with chip clearance. Hope this help
Steve

Cut off the other end. May need to do this by grinding.
Mike
On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 11:00:24 -0800, Mike wrote:

Excellent suggestion. Why couldn't I think of that?
Shorter bits are readily available but you won't find them at he borg. Go to anyplace that supplies machine shops and buy screw machine length bits.

See part number 8255A39 @ http://www.mcmaster.com .
Steve

Steve wrote:
Hummm not found. These perhaps?
Metalworking and Multi-Purpose Drill Bits: http://www.mcmaster.com/param/asp/psearch.asp?FAM=metaldrills&session sc=Drill%20Bits;metaldrills
Drilling down <g>
http://www.mcmaster.com/param/asp/psearch.asp?FAM=metaldrills&FT_7818871&session sc=Drill%20Bits;metaldrills;7818871
http://www.mcmaster.com/param/asp/psearch.asp?FAM=metaldrills&FT_7819432&session sc=Drill%20Bits;metaldrills;7819432
-- Mark
Sorry, part number 28255A39, about 2 1/2 in long with 1" flutes. Steve